Old 05-21-2008, 05:50 PM
James

Default kde 3.5.9 revdep-rebuild

hello,

I upgrade one system without incident.
revdep-rebuild -p just found one package to rebuild.

Now I have upgraded to kde 3.5.9 successufully rebooting
into 3.5.9. When I run revdep-rebuild -p I get many things that need to
be rebuilt:

[ebuild UD] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.8-r4 [3.5.9-r4]
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-arts-3.5.8
[ebuild UD] kde-base/libkdegames-3.5.8 [3.5.9]
[ebuild R ] kde-base/noatun-3.5.8
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kolf-3.5.8
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kaboodle-3.5.8
[ebuild R ] kde-base/krec-3.5.8
[ebuild R ] kde-base/noatun-plugins-3.5.8 USE="-arts*"

But they are all 3.5.8 based software. Should I just rebuild them?
revdep-rebuild

or do I need to run something like

emerge -a --depclean first?

If they were 3.5.9 packages, I could understand the need to re compile
these packages. Since they are 3.5.8 it seems to me, something is amiss?

I have also ran these updates since compiling 3.5.9:
env-update && source /etc/profile && etc-update

Hopefully somebody will explain why this amd64 system's upgrade to
kd3 3.5.9 looks different from the first one I completed?

James

Old 05-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Mittwoch, 21. Mai 2008 schrieb James:

> I upgrade one system without incident.
> revdep-rebuild -p just found one package to rebuild.
>

> Now I have upgraded to kde 3.5.9 successufully rebooting
> into 3.5.9.

No need to reboot, BTW. Just logout and login again.

> When I run revdep-rebuild -p I get many things that need to
> be rebuilt:
>
> [ebuild UD] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.8-r4 [3.5.9-r4]
> [ebuild R ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-arts-3.5.8
> [ebuild UD] kde-base/libkdegames-3.5.8 [3.5.9]
> [ebuild R ] kde-base/noatun-3.5.8
> [ebuild R ] kde-base/kolf-3.5.8
> [ebuild R ] kde-base/kaboodle-3.5.8
> [ebuild R ] kde-base/krec-3.5.8
> [ebuild R ] kde-base/noatun-plugins-3.5.8 USE="-arts*"
>

> But they are all 3.5.8 based software. Should I just rebuild them?

revdep-rebuild re-installs the exact same version of a broken package than the
one that _is_ currently installed. You should try to update the listed
packages first, then run revdep-rebuild again.

HTH...

Dirk

Old 05-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 21 May 2008, James wrote:
> hello,
>
> I upgrade one system without incident.
> revdep-rebuild -p just found one package to rebuild.
>

> Now I have upgraded to kde 3.5.9 successufully rebooting
> into 3.5.9. When I run revdep-rebuild -p I get many things that need
> to be rebuilt:
>
> [ebuild UD] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.8-r4 [3.5.9-r4]
> [ebuild R ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-arts-3.5.8
> [ebuild UD] kde-base/libkdegames-3.5.8 [3.5.9]
> [ebuild R ] kde-base/noatun-3.5.8
> [ebuild R ] kde-base/kolf-3.5.8
> [ebuild R ] kde-base/kaboodle-3.5.8
> [ebuild R ] kde-base/krec-3.5.8
> [ebuild R ] kde-base/noatun-plugins-3.5.8 USE="-arts*"

Without having the full output of revdep-rebuild to hand, one can only
guess. It's not a arch vs ~arch issue as 3.5.9-r4 is already stable, so
I would guess that the one package that came up in the first
revdep-rebuild is now pulling in the others in the second.

What was that package?

You also used revdep-rebuild -p, which re-uses the data from the last
run of the program. Try again with -i as well to rescan the system

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 21 May 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 May 2008, James wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > I upgrade one system without incident.
> > revdep-rebuild -p just found one package to rebuild.
> >

> > Now I have upgraded to kde 3.5.9 successufully rebooting
> > into 3.5.9. When I run revdep-rebuild -p I get many things that need
> > to be rebuilt:
> >
> > [ebuild UD] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.8-r4 [3.5.9-r4]
> > [ebuild R ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-arts-3.5.8
> > [ebuild UD] kde-base/libkdegames-3.5.8 [3.5.9]
> > [ebuild R ] kde-base/noatun-3.5.8
> > [ebuild R ] kde-base/kolf-3.5.8
> > [ebuild R ] kde-base/kaboodle-3.5.8
> > [ebuild R ] kde-base/krec-3.5.8
> > [ebuild R ] kde-base/noatun-plugins-3.5.8 USE="-arts*"
>
> Without having the full output of revdep-rebuild to hand, one can only
> guess. It's not a arch vs ~arch issue as 3.5.9-r4 is already stable, so
> I would guess that the one package that came up in the first
> revdep-rebuild is now pulling in the others in the second.
>
> What was that package?

Same thing happened to me because midway I had to stop the emerge and restart
it later. The solution is to emerge all the other packages first from the
original emerge, without downgrading kde-base/kdelibs, &
kde-base/libkdegames.

HTH.
Mick

Old 05-22-2008, 02:24 PM
James

Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Without having the full output of revdep-rebuild to hand, one can only
> > guess. It's not a arch vs ~arch issue as 3.5.9-r4 is already stable, so
> > I would guess that the one package that came up in the first
> > revdep-rebuild is now pulling in the others in the second.

> > What was that package?

kde-base/kdelibs

> Same thing happened to me because midway I had to stop the emerge and restart
> it later. The solution is to emerge all the other packages first from the
> original emerge, without downgrading kde-base/kdelibs, &
> kde-base/libkdegames.

Yes, I discovered this after reading the other postings. I rebuild everything
again and it's all 3.4.9-r5 now for kde (meta). I did not stop/restart the
installation, but, I was logged into the system that failed to complete
properly, on the original installation attempt.

Now all of kde-meta is install on 3.5.9-r4 but when I run revdep-rebuild with
either the -p or -i option it wants to upgrade(downgrade these packages now:

All prepared. Starting rebuild...
emerge --oneshot -p =kde-base/kdemultimedia-arts-3.5.8 =kde-base/noatun-3.5.8
=kde-base/kolf-3.5.8 =kde-base/kaboodle-3.5.8 =kde-base/krec-3.5.8
=kde-base/noatun-plugins-3.5.8

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild UD] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.8-r4 [3.5.9-r4]
[ebuild UD] kde-base/arts-3.5.8 [3.5.9]
[ebuild UD] kde-base/kdemultimedia-arts-3.5.8 [3.5.9]
[ebuild UD] kde-base/libkdegames-3.5.8 [3.5.9]
[ebuild UD] kde-base/noatun-3.5.8 [3.5.9]
[ebuild UD] kde-base/kolf-3.5.8 [3.5.9]
[ebuild UD] kde-base/kaboodle-3.5.8 [3.5.9]
[ebuild UD] kde-base/krec-3.5.8 [3.5.9]
[ebuild UD] kde-base/noatun-plugins-3.5.8 [3.5.9]

I'm going to log out and back in to see if this makes any difference.

James

Old 05-22-2008, 02:49 PM
James

James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Same thing happened to me because midway I had to stop the emerge
and restart
> > it later. The solution is to emerge all the other packages first from the
> > original emerge, without downgrading kde-base/kdelibs, &
> > kde-base/libkdegames.

kdelibs was the culprit. Rebuilding that with an explicit USE flag for
aRTS allowed the rest of the packages to build successfully.

> I'm going to log out and back in to see if this makes any difference.

Yep, after rebooting (exiting kde hung) all is fine now.

Thanks to all that contributed to the solution.

James

Old 05-22-2008, 02:58 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 7:49 AM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote

Yep, after rebooting (exiting kde hung) all is fine now.

It's a bit quicker to just ctl-alt-backspace to restart X.* No need to reboot, I think.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 22 May 2008 15:49:58 James wrote:

> kdelibs was the culprit. Rebuilding that with an explicit USE flag for
> aRTS allowed the rest of the packages to build successfully.
>
> > I'm going to log out and back in to see if this makes any difference.
>
> Yep, after rebooting (exiting kde hung) all is fine now.

Sounds to me like the consequences of upgrading KDE while it's running. I
always stop KDE it it's to be upgraded, and work in a text console.

--
Rgds
Peter