Old 05-21-2008, 02:14 AM
fire-eyes

Default Hibernate / Suspend Problems on a Desktop

Hello,

I just got a new Dell XPS 420 system. It has an Intel core 2 duo quad
cpu. I wish to hibernate it to ram, though I'd be happy with any other
form of hibernate/suspend-like behavior at this point.

I'm using vanilla kernel 2.6.25.4. I have all the various
hibernate/suspend etc options turned on. I installed hibernate-script,
installed vbetool and configured the .conf files for hibernate-script to
use it.

Testing from console, no frame buffer, any of the actions (hibernate,
hibernate-ram) bring the system down just fine, but when I power the
system back up fully, I have no video signal. The system is fine
otherwise, as I can blind-type "reboot" or "halt" and the system does so.

I remember fighting with this same issue on my IBM thinkpad laptop. I
have compared configurations and don't really see any glaring
differences. Other than the laptop having an ATI card, and this desktop
having an Nvidia GeForce 9600.

The laptop has a single-core Intel CPU, but this desktop has a quad-core
Intel CPU. There is a specific option in the kernel to enable
hibernate/suspend etc for SMP/multicore systems, and I have enabled that.

At this point I am at a loss, trying over and over again to get this
working. Any tips would be much appreciated.

fire-eyes / Fieldy