Old 05-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Mick

Default KDE-3.5.9 and Kmail

Hi All,

Just finished a mammoth KDE update session and upon firing up Kmail I noticed
that the fields for To: , CC: and BCC: are flat white boxes, without the
border on the top & left edges. The Subject: field has kept its border.

Has something gone wrong with my emerge, or is this an intended change of the
KDE decorations (or artwork, or whatever the responsible package is called).
Do you get the same?

I attach a small snapshot as words may have failed me in describing it
adequately above.
Mick

Old 05-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 20 May 2008, Mick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just finished a mammoth KDE update session and upon firing up Kmail I
> noticed that the fields for To: , CC: and BCC: are flat white boxes,
> without the border on the top & left edges. The Subject: field has
> kept its border.
>
> Has something gone wrong with my emerge, or is this an intended
> change of the KDE decorations (or artwork, or whatever the
> responsible package is called). Do you get the same?
>
> I attach a small snapshot as words may have failed me in describing
> it adequately above.

It appears to be an artifact of the current Keramik theme you are
using - I get the same here, but Plastik theme does display correctly

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 20 May 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> It appears to be an artifact of the current Keramik theme you are
> using - I get the same here, but Plastik theme does display correctly

You mean you get the same when you set up your theme as Keramik, right?

Is this a bug? Do I live with it until KDE-4 becomes stable? It's amazing
how silly little things bother us when get set in our ways. ;-)

PS. Just messed up my KDE Style now and all my fonts are small and blurry!
Which file(s) should I restore from a back up to bring my theme/style back?
Mick

Old 05-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Dienstag, 20. Mai 2008, Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 May 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > It appears to be an artifact of the current Keramik theme you are
> > using - I get the same here, but Plastik theme does display correctly
>
> You mean you get the same when you set up your theme as Keramik, right?
>
> Is this a bug? Do I live with it until KDE-4 becomes stable? It's amazing
> how silly little things bother us when get set in our ways. ;-)
>
> PS. Just messed up my KDE Style now and all my fonts are small and blurry!
> Which file(s) should I restore from a back up to bring my theme/style back?

none.
Just open kcontrol, 'appearance (I guess)', fonts.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 20 May 2008, Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 May 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > It appears to be an artifact of the current Keramik theme you are
> > using - I get the same here, but Plastik theme does display
> > correctly
>
> You mean you get the same when you set up your theme as Keramik,
> right?

Yes that's right.

> Is this a bug? Do I live with it until KDE-4 becomes stable? It's
> amazing how silly little things bother us when get set in our ways.
> ;-)

It doesn't appear to be a bug, it appears to be two different kinds of
text-entry widgets. By coincidence, the difference seems most
noticeable on styles that don't use rounded corners for text-entry
boxes.

Phase and Keramik are very noticeable, Klearlooks and Plastik less so.
Why two different text entry types? Well, To: and CC: have that
text-completion feature, and Subject: doesn't.

I don't have a non-Gentoo machine handy to compare with though

> PS. Just messed up my KDE Style now and all my fonts are small and
> blurry! Which file(s) should I restore from a back up to bring my
> theme/style back?

It'll be in ~.kde3.5/share/config I imagine, but I have no idea where.
What I would do is run kcontrol, make some changes to the font
settings, then run find on that dir looking for files with an mtime in
the last 2 minutes

Old 05-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 20 May 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 May 2008, Mick wrote:
> > On Tuesday 20 May 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > It appears to be an artifact of the current Keramik theme you are
> > > using - I get the same here, but Plastik theme does display
> > > correctly
> >
> > You mean you get the same when you set up your theme as Keramik,
> > right?
>
> Yes that's right.
>
> > Is this a bug? Do I live with it until KDE-4 becomes stable? It's
> > amazing how silly little things bother us when get set in our ways.
> > ;-)
>
> It doesn't appear to be a bug, it appears to be two different kinds of
> text-entry widgets. By coincidence, the difference seems most
> noticeable on styles that don't use rounded corners for text-entry
> boxes.
>
> Phase and Keramik are very noticeable, Klearlooks and Plastik less so.
> Why two different text entry types? Well, To: and CC: have that
> text-completion feature, and Subject: doesn't.

Darkening the window background colour shows up the fields. I guess it'll all
be fixed by KDE-4.

> > PS. Just messed up my KDE Style now and all my fonts are small and
> > blurry! Which file(s) should I restore from a back up to bring my
> > theme/style back?
>
> It'll be in ~.kde3.5/share/config I imagine, but I have no idea where.
> What I would do is run kcontrol, make some changes to the font
> settings, then run find on that dir looking for files with an mtime in
> the last 2 minutes

I think I've got it back where I wanted it. Only one, well two things. The
font of the Favorite Folders is in italics. How do I straighten them up? I
can't see an appropriate category under the Fonts selection in the Theme
Manager.

Finally, the header frame for signed messages is now collapsed until I click
to on it say Show Details. When expanded it shows "No Audit Log available" -
what's that all about? How can I keep it expanded?

Thanks for your answers. :-)
Mick