Old 05-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Matt Harrison

Default Limiting portage sync

Old 05-20-2008, 04:06 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Dienstag, 20. Mai 2008, Matt Harrison wrote:
> I was just wondering, while watching an emerge --sync, is it possible
> (or advisable) to limit what portage syncs? For example, I have a server
> here that doesn't use X, kde, gnome, java, and a number of other fairly
> large areas of portage. It would be nice if I could speed up syncing by
> excluding these categories from the process.

yes it is possible (or was in the past). And if you know what you do it is
pretty safe.

> I can understand that some people may provide reasons why this is a bad
> idea, and I'm interested in hearing opinions or suggestions.

The problem is, most people don't know what they do. You might easily remove a
category you THINK you don't need ...

Old 05-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Rasmus Andersen

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 02:09:26AM +0100, Matt Harrison wrote:
> I was just wondering, while watching an emerge --sync, is it possible (or
> advisable) to limit what portage syncs? For example, I have a server here
> that doesn't use X, kde, gnome, java, and a number of other fairly large
> areas of portage. It would be nice if I could speed up syncing by excluding
> these categories from the process.

I do this and find it works like a charm. The actual sync time is not an
issue for me since I have a decent connection but the 'updating cache'
time went down by at least 75% for me (old computer). Which made 'emerge
--sync' a lot less of a 'start this, go for lunch' command for me.

I have had a tiny amount of issues with this since I started approx. 4
years ago, the biggest issue is that since you lobotomize the metadata
tree you get some odd errors. But I find it worth it.

Cheers,
Rasmus

Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 20 May 2008 02:09:26 +0100, Matt Harrison wrote:

> I was just wondering, while watching an emerge --sync, is it possible
> (or advisable) to limit what portage syncs? For example, I have a
> server here that doesn't use X, kde, gnome, java, and a number of other
> fairly large areas of portage. It would be nice if I could speed up
> syncing by excluding these categories from the process.

It is possible, by setting PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS in make.conf to add
--exclude options to mask out the directories you don't want. As for
being advisable, it depends on whether you are prepared to risk and
breakage this may incur, but unless you do anything silly, you should be
able to fix any damage by undoing the change and syncing again.

--
Neil Bothwick

If your VCR still flashes 12:00 - then Linux is not for you.