Old 05-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Mick

Default acpid problems

Hi All,

I keep having acpid problems with a box of mine. I noticed that when hald
starts at bootup it takes around 11 to 12 seconds! acpid never starts. If I
try to start it manually it fails with the error:

acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event

Trying to put the machine into hibernation causes a crash (freezes completely
until I give it the 3 finger salute).

Any ideas how I could troubleshoot this?
Mick

Old 05-18-2008, 09:31 PM
"Henry Gebhardt"

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I keep having acpid problems with a box of mine. I noticed that when hald
> starts at bootup it takes around 11 to 12 seconds! acpid never starts. If I
> try to start it manually it fails with the error:
>
> acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event

Does the file exist? If not, try enabling some kernel options, e.g.

CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT=y

> Trying to put the machine into hibernation causes a crash (freezes completely
> until I give it the 3 finger salute).
>
> Any ideas how I could troubleshoot this?
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Good luck,
Henry

Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Mick

On Sunday 18 May 2008, Henry Gebhardt wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I keep having acpid problems with a box of mine. I noticed that when
> > hald starts at bootup it takes around 11 to 12 seconds! acpid never
> > starts. If I try to start it manually it fails with the error:
> >
> > acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event
>
> Does the file exist? If not, try enabling some kernel options, e.g.
>
> CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT=y

Thanks Henry,

Yes the file exists. I can't cat it because it is busy. Some process (acpid,
or someone else?) is trying to access it seems and I can't look at its
contents.
Mick

Old 05-19-2008, 10:00 AM
"Henry Gebhardt"

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 11:43 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 18 May 2008, Henry Gebhardt wrote:
>> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event
>>
>> Does the file exist? If not, try enabling some kernel options, e.g.
>>
>> CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT=y
>
> Thanks Henry,
>
> Yes the file exists. I can't cat it because it is busy. Some process (acpid,
> or someone else?) is trying to access it seems and I can't look at its
> contents.

With lsof (emerge sys-process/lsof) you can check if a process is
accessing a file.
Run it like so:

# lsof /proc/acpi/event
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
acpid 2230 root 3r REG 0,3 0 4026531935 /proc/acpi/event

> --
> Regards,
> Mick

~Henry