Old 05-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Dan Johansson

Default Kmail spell checker having problems with German Umlaut

I'm having a small problem with spell checking in kmail (v. 1.9.7, KDE 3.5.8).
e.g. if a have the word beigefügte in a text, the spellchecker will treat it
as two words, beigef and gte, which of course is not in the dictionary.
Any suggestions how to solve this?
--
Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Mick

On Sunday 18 May 2008, Dan Johansson wrote:
> I'm having a small problem with spell checking in kmail (v. 1.9.7, KDE
> 3.5.8). e.g. if a have the word beigefügte in a text, the spellchecker will
> treat it as two words, beigef and gte, which of course is not in the
> dictionary. Any suggestions how to solve this?

I am using Aspell and I am seeing the same 'feature' with English, e.g.:

gen too
gen-too
gent
etc.

Isn't this driven by the dictionary content? Not all of the words shown under
such circumstances are real words.
Mick

Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Peter Ruskin

On Sunday 18 May 2008, Dan Johansson wrote:
> I'm having a small problem with spell checking in kmail (v.
> 1.9.7, KDE 3.5.8). e.g. if a have the word beigefügte in a text,
> the spellchecker will treat it as two words, beigef and gte,
> which of course is not in the dictionary. Any suggestions how to
> solve this?

I have KMail-1.9.7 and it's lousy with spellchecking too. The
language settings in KMail's spellchecking dialog don't accurately
reflect the installed spellcheckers and don't have any effect
anyway. However, if you select "German" in Control Centre|KDE
Components|Spell Checker, "beigefügte" will be treated correctly.

--
Peter

Old 05-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Dan Johansson

On Monday 19 May 2008, Peter Ruskin wrote:
> On Sunday 18 May 2008, Dan Johansson wrote:
> > I'm having a small problem with spell checking in kmail (v.
> > 1.9.7, KDE 3.5.8). e.g. if a have the word beigefügte in a text,
> > the spellchecker will treat it as two words, beigef and gte,
> > which of course is not in the dictionary. Any suggestions how to
> > solve this?
>
> I have KMail-1.9.7 and it's lousy with spellchecking too. The
> language settings in KMail's spellchecking dialog don't accurately
> reflect the installed spellcheckers and don't have any effect
> anyway. However, if you select "German" in Control Centre|KDE
> Components|Spell Checker, "beigefügte" will be treated correctly.

Nope, that did not help, still treated as two words.