-   -   How to set package.use for layman overlays (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/89924-how-set-package-use-layman-overlays.html)

05-17-2008 11:26 AM

How to set package.use for layman overlays

I've just started to use layman tools and wondered if setting such
things as /etc/portage/package.use would still be done in that same
place and same way?

I want to install an overlay of emacs-cvs but with different use flags

I'm following along with the instruction at:
http://www.enigmacurry.com/2007/05/24/multi-tty-emacs-on-gentoo-and-ubuntu/

On my laptop I run Gentoo Linux. Getting the latest version of Emacs on Gentoo was a breeze! :

* Setup Layman
* Add the emacs overlay: sudo layman -a emacs
* Add the following USE flags for app-editors/emacs-cvs: sudo
flagedit app-editors/emacs-cvs X Xaw3d alsa gif gzip-el jpeg
lesstif png sound spell tiff toolkit-scroll-bars xpm -gtk
-hesiod -motif -source.
* GTK support is explicitly turned off as it causes problems with
multi-TTY. This is no biggie for me as I always have
(menu-bar-mode -1) and (tool-bar-mode -1) set.
* Emerge: sudo emerge emacs-cvs -va
* Tell the system to use the new emacs: sudo eselect emacs set emacs-23-multi-tty

To get emacs-multitty set up. It isn't really clear what role layman
plays in those instructions since the final command is
emerge emacs-cvs

Or will that automatically use the layman overlays.

Or maybe the author assumes I don't already have emacs installed from
/usr/portage.

I realize this is a little offhanded since its asking advice about 2nd
party instructions. But I have no experience whatever with layman or
using overlays at all. So thought maybe better to ask here than
directly to the author of those instructions.

deface 05-17-2008 01:11 PM

How to set package.use for layman overlays

assuming you've got your make.conf setup appropriately, the overlay
will take precisidence.

PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/portage/local"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/storage/repos/uberpenguin/trunk"
source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf

deface

[...]

05-17-2008 01:43 PM

deface <deface@uberpenguin.net> writes:
> assuming you've got your make.conf setup appropriately, the overlay
> will take precisidence.
>
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/portage/local"
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/storage/repos/uberpenguin/trunk"
> source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf

Sorry it must be going right over my head.
I don't see an answer to my question there.

How and where to set different use flags for layman as compared to
usr/portage?

Or lets say I set some USE flags in
/usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf

Depending on where that line:
`source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf'

is in /etc/make.conf it appears any USE flags set in
..layman/make.conf will either possible overwrite some in
/etc/make.conf or the other way round.
And the conglomerate will be what emerge runs with.

It would also seem that /etc/portage/package.use would be global and
include layman... is that right?

So again, if one wanted to set some use flags differently for layman
packages ... where and how would that be done?

Stroller 05-17-2008 02:50 PM

How to set package.use for layman overlays

It would also seem that /etc/portage/package.use would be global and
include layman... is that right?

Yes.

So again, if one wanted to set some use flags differently for layman
packages ... where and how would that be done?

I think that you should use package.use.

Stroller.

Wolf Canis 05-17-2008 02:57 PM

reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> I've just started to use layman tools and wondered if setting such
> things as /etc/portage/package.use would still be done in that same
> place and same way?

I think yes.

> I want to install an overlay of emacs-cvs but with different use flags

I would say there is no problem, because in /etc/portage/package.use you
can decide what version with what flags.

> I'm following along with the instruction at:
> http://www.enigmacurry.com/2007/05/24/multi-tty-emacs-on-gentoo-and-ubuntu/
>
> On my laptop I run Gentoo Linux. Getting the latest version of Emacs on Gentoo was a breeze! :
>
> * Setup Layman
> * Add the emacs overlay: sudo layman -a emacs
> * Add the following USE flags for app-editors/emacs-cvs: sudo
> flagedit app-editors/emacs-cvs X Xaw3d alsa gif gzip-el jpeg
> lesstif png sound spell tiff toolkit-scroll-bars xpm -gtk
> -hesiod -motif -source.
> * GTK support is explicitly turned off as it causes problems with
> multi-TTY. This is no biggie for me as I always have
> (menu-bar-mode -1) and (tool-bar-mode -1) set.
> * Emerge: sudo emerge emacs-cvs -va
> * Tell the system to use the new emacs: sudo eselect emacs set emacs-23-multi-tty
>

> To get emacs-multitty set up. It isn't really clear what role layman
> plays in those instructions since the final command is
> emerge emacs-cvs

That's, so far I that understand, the advantage for
using overlays.

> Or will that automatically use the layman overlays.

Yes. Because emacs-cvs is in the portage-tree but masked.

> Or maybe the author assumes I don't already have emacs installed from
> /usr/portage.

If you want to install emacs-cvs from the portage tree, you have to
unmask this package:

$ emerge -atv emacs-cvs

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies /
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "app-editors/emacs-cvs" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- app-editors/emacs-cvs-23.0.9999 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
- app-editors/emacs-cvs-23.0.50_pre20080201 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
- app-editors/emacs-cvs-22.2.9999 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

> I realize this is a little offhanded since its asking advice about 2nd
> party instructions. But I have no experience whatever with layman or
> using overlays at all. So thought maybe better to ask here than
> directly to the author of those instructions.

That's the way I see it.

W. Canis

Alexander Meinke 05-17-2008 03:00 PM

How to set package.use for layman overlays

So again, if one wanted to set some use flags differently for layman
packages ... where and how would that be done?

I think that you should use package.use.

Yes. According to Strollers post this is done by an package.use file in
/usr/portage/layman I think.

Regards,

acm.

05-17-2008 08:16 PM

Alexander Meinke <ameinke@online.de> writes:

>>> So again, if one wanted to set some use flags differently for layman
>>> packages ... where and how would that be done?
>>
>> I think that you should use package.use.
>
> Yes. According to Strollers post this is done by an package.use file
> in /usr/portage/layman I think.

What post?... do have the Message-ID. Are you sure about the
location?

Stroller 05-18-2008 08:11 AM

How to set package.use for layman overlays

So again, if one wanted to set some use flags differently for layman
packages ... where and how would that be done?

I think that you should use package.use.

Yes. According to Strollers post this is done by an package.use
file in /usr/portage/layman I think.

Yes, package.use, but not anywhere special - just the regular one in /
etc/portage/, /etc/portage/package.use. This sets use flags for all
packages, both in the main tree AND in layman.

Stroller.

05-18-2008 01:32 PM

Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:

>>> I think that you should use package.use.
>>
>> Yes. According to Strollers post this is done by an package.use file
>> in /usr/portage/layman I think.
>
> Yes, package.use, but not anywhere special - just the regular one in /
> etc/portage/, /etc/portage/package.use. This sets use flags for all
> packages, both in the main tree AND in layman.

I'm a little confused .. the question (that you quoted in your
reply) asks how to set use flags separately for layman overlay.

So your answer doesn't appear to make sense... but maybe I'm missing
something here.

Alexander Meinke 05-18-2008 01:50 PM

reader@newsguy.com wrote:

I'm a little confused .. the question (that you quoted in your
reply) asks how to set use flags separately for layman overlay.

So your answer doesn't appear to make sense... but maybe I'm missing
something here.

Hi,

the subject is "How to set package.use for layman overlays". USE-Flags are set
by package.use. How I mentioned before that is not handled by
/usr/portage/layman where the make.conf is, but by /etc/portage/package.use.

Sorry for that mistake.
So I think you wont be able to set USE-Flags specially for layman packages.

Regards,

acm.