Old 05-18-2008, 02:01 PM
William Hubbs

Default How to set package.use for layman overlays

Old 05-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 18 May 2008, Alexander Meinke wrote:

> So I think you wont be able to set USE-Flags specially for layman
> packages.

That appears to be correct, as there is no mention of overlay-specific
USE settings anywhere in the layman docs.

So, it seems that one still has only the same two options that portage
offers:

- global, in make.conf
- per package/version in package.use

and the presence of layman does not change this rule in any way.
Actually this makes sense - all layman does for portage is provide a
whole new bunch of ebuilds to select from. Portage is not aware of
layman and so can't change the way it deals with USE flags because of
layman

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 18 May 2008 09:01:12 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:

> There is no way to set use flags separately for packages in overlays.

That's not always true. If the overlay provides a version that is not in
portage, like a cat/pkg-9999 for a CVS/SVN ebuild, then a
version-specific entry in package.use will only affect the overlay
version.

However, /etc/portage/package.use is the correct place to set
package-specific USE variables fro all packages, no matter whether they
come from an overlay or the portage tree.

--
Neil Bothwick

HTTP: Helps Transfer The Porn