Old 05-17-2008, 02:07 AM
"Bob Young"

Default Multiple error messages for each keystroke in nano

Okay, I’ve had this happen before and was never able
to fix it, hopefully someone here will recognize what is happening and tell me
where I went wrong.

*

I’m installing a new Gentoo box, and have the basic
system installed ( without X ). The problem began after I completed a successful
“emerge –DuN world” The symptom is: when I start nano, (just nano
by itself, not editing a file), several hundred lines similar to the following
are spewed to the console:

*

No match found...

list val = 1

Hey, set sequence to 63 for shortcut "M-?"

No match found...

list val = 286

Hey, set sequence to 25 for shortcut "^Y"

No match found...

list val = 286

Hey, set sequence to 22 for shortcut "^V"

No match found...

list val = 3072

Hey, set sequence to 330 for shortcut "kdel"

No match found...

list val = 8191

Hey, set sequence to 8 for shortcut "^H"

No match found...

list val = 8191

Hey, set sequence to 263 for shortcut "kbsp"

Shortcut "^G", function: Get Help, menus 8191

Shortcut "F1", function: Get Help, menus 8191

Shortcut "^X", function: Exit, menus 1

Shortcut "F2", function: Exit, menus 1

Shortcut "F14", function: Replace, menus 3

Shortcut "M-R", function: Replace, menus 3

Shortcut "^R", function: Replace, menus 3

Shortcut "^E", function: End, menus 1

Shortcut "M-+", function: Scroll Down, menus 1

Shortcut "M-=", function: Scroll Down, menus 1

Hmm, didnt find a func for "M-Y"

Hmm, didnt find a func for "M-H"

Hmm, didnt find a func for "M-I"

Hmm, didnt find a func for "M-K"

Hmm, didnt find a func for "M-N"

Hmm, didnt find a func for "M-Z"

Shortcut "^T", function: Go To Text, menus 16

Shortcut "M-F", function: New Buffer, menus 64

Shortcut "^C", function: Cancel, menus 15102

Shortcut "^X", function: Exit, menus 1

Shortcut "^Z", function: Suspend, menus 1

Shortcut "^L", function: Refresh, menus 257

Shortcut "^I", function: Tab, menus 1

Shortcut "kdel", function: Delete, menus 1

Shortcut "^H", function: Backspace, menus 1

Parsing file "/etc/nanorc"

After rebinding keys...

Shortcut "^G", function: Get Help, menus 8191

Shortcut "M-6", function: Copy Text, menus 1

Shortcut "M-}", function: Indent Text, menus 1

Shortcut "M-{", function: Unindent Text, menus 1

Main: set up windowsion: Forward, menus 1025

Shortcut "kright", fMain: open filed, menus 1025

Shortcut "^B", function: Back, menuMain: top and
bottom win

Shortcut "kleft", function: Back, menus
1025**************
In bottombars, and slen == "12"

Shortcut "^Space", function: Next Word, menus
1************************ ******************
Checking menu items....found one! f->menus = 8191, desc = "Get
Help"

Shortcut "M-Space", function: Prev Word, menus
1************************ ************************* ******
************************* ************************* ****Calling
onekey with keystr "^G" and desc "Get Help"

Shortcut "^Q", function: , menus
1************************ ************************* ************************* ************************* ****************
************************* ************************* *********Checking
menu items....Checking menu items....found one! f->menus = 1, desc =
"Exit"

Shortcut "^P", function: Prev Line, menus
1281***********************
Calling onekey with keystr "^X" and desc "Exit"

Shortcut "kup", function: Prev Line, menus
1281*********************** ************************* *********************
Checking menu items....Checking menu items....Checking menu items....found one!
f->menus = 1, desc = "WriteOut"cut "^N", function: Next
Line, menus 1281

ShortCalling onekey with keystr "^O" and desc
"WriteOut"

Shortcut "^A", function: Home, menus
1*****************
Checking menu items....found one! f->menus = 1, desc = "Read File"

Shortcut "khome", function: Home, menus
1************************ ************************* ************************* ******
Calling onekey with keystr "^R" and desc "Read File"

Shortcut "^E", function: End, menus
1************************ *******************
************************* ************************* ************************* ******************Checking
menu items....found one! f->menus = 1025, desc = "Where Is"nction:
End, menus 1

Shortcut "M-C", funCalling onekey with keystr
"^W" and desc "Where Is"

Shortcut "M-C", function: Case Sens, menus
2054**********************
Checking menu items....found one! f->menus = 257, desc = "Prev
Page"

Hmm, didnt find a func for "M-H"

Hmm, didnt find a func for "M-I"

Hmm, didnt find a func for "M-K"

Hmm, didnt find a func for "M-N"

Hmm, didnt find a func for "M-Z"

Shortcut "^T", function: Go To Text, menus 16

Shortcut "M-F", function: New Buffer, menus 64

Shortcut "^C", function: Cancel, menus 15102

Shortcut "^X", function: Exit, menus 1

Shortcut "F2", function: Exit, menus 1

Shortcut "kenter", function: Enter, menus 1

Shortcut "^D", function: Delete, menus 1

Shortcut "kdel", function: Delete, menus 1

Shortcut "^H", function: Backspace, menus 1

*

And then once I’m in nano and ready to edit, typing “test”
results in the following:

*

*

*

tget_key_buffer(): key_buffer_len = 1

pparse_kbinput():

kbinput = 101,

meta_key = FALSE,

func_key = FALSE,

escapes = 0,

byte_digits = 0,

retval = 101

gget_shortcut():

kbinput = 101,

meta_key = FALSE,

func_key = FALSE

mmatched nothing btw meta was 0

******************

*

eget_key_buffer():

key_buffer_len = 1

parse_kbinput():

kbinput = 115,

meta_key = FALSE,

func_key = FALSE,

escapes = 0,

byte_digits = 0,

retval = 115

get_shortcut():

kbinput = 115,

meta_key = FALSE,

func_key = FALSE

matched nothing btw meta was 0

*

*

sget_key_buffer():

key_buffer_len = 1

parse_kbinput():

kbinput = 116,

meta_key = FALSE,

func_key = FALSE,

escapes = 0,

byte_digits = 0,

retval = 116

get_shortcut():

kbinput = 116,

meta_key = FALSE,

func_key = FALSE

matched nothing btw meta was 0

************************* ************************* ******

*

*

Can anybody explain what’s going on here, and tell me
how I can fix it?

*

BTW, if I edit with vi…everything works fine, and of
course typing at the console works okay as well.

*

Thanks for listening,

Bob Young

Old 05-17-2008, 05:45 AM
Francesco Talamona

On Saturday 17 May 2008, Bob Young wrote:
> Can anybody explain what's going on here, and tell me how I can fix
> it?
>
> *
>
> BTW, if I edit with vi.everything works fine, and of course typing at
> the console works okay as well.

Just a guess... Did you run etc-update?

Ciao
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.25-gentoo-r3, Compiled #1 PREEMPT Sun May 11 08:04:22
CEST 2008

Old 05-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Ian Hilt

I'm installing a new Gentoo box, and have the basic system installed (
without X ). The problem began after I completed a successful "emerge -DuN
world" The symptom is: when I start nano, (just nano by itself, not editing
a file), several hundred lines similar to the following are spewed to the
console:

[...]

BTW, if I edit with vi.everything works fine, and of course typing at the
console works okay as well.

What's the output of "emerge -vp nano"?

--
Ian Hilt
ian.hilt (at) gmail.com

Old 05-17-2008, 07:28 AM
"Bob Young"

On Saturday 17 May 2008, Bob Young wrote:
> Can anybody explain what's going on here, and tell me how I can fix
> it?
>
> *
>
> BTW, if I edit with vi.everything works fine, and of course typing at
> the console works okay as well.

Just a guess... Did you run etc-update?

Ciao
Francesco

Yes I have run etc-update, there were 32 config files to be processed, and
afterward, the problem remains the same

Regards,
Bob Young

Old 05-17-2008, 07:46 AM
"Bob Young"

>> On Fri, 16 May 2008 at 7:07pm -0700, Bob Young wrote:

>> I'm installing a new Gentoo box, and have the basic system installed (
>> without X ). The problem began after I completed a successful "emerge
>> -DuN world" The symptom is: when I start nano, (just nano by itself,
>> not editing a file), several hundred lines similar to the following
>> are spewed to the console:

> [...]

>> BTW, if I edit with vi.everything works fine, and of course typing at the
>> console works okay as well.

> What's the output of "emerge -vp nano"?

[ebuild R ] app-editors/nano-2.1.1 USE="debug ncurses nls spell
unicode -justify -minimal -slang" 0kb

But your question made me wonder about the -DuN world, and in looking at the
build log, it appears during the update world, nano was in deed updated from
nano-2.0.2 to nano-2.1.1, and, the debug and spell USE flags were flipped.

Currently I'm emerging xorg, but after that finishes, I'll first try
flipping the debug and spell use flags back and see what that does.

Regards,
Bob Young

Old 05-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Alex Schuster

Bob Young writes:

> Currently I'm emerging xorg, but after that finishes, I'll first try
> flipping the debug and spell use flags back and see what that does.

It will work. I just emerged nano with debug use flag, and get the same
errors as you.

Should someone file a bug about this? Or is this expected behaviour for the
debug use flag?

Wonko

Old 05-17-2008, 05:03 PM
"Bob Young"

Yes it did, I re-emerged nano with "-debug" and the problem went away. Now I
have the same question, is this a bug or not?

Regards,
Bob Young