Old 05-16-2008, 09:57 PM
maxim wexler

Default ttyS0 conflict was UPS recommendation

> Thanks for your exhaustive replies. I've decided to go
> for the APC ES-350 for seventy bucks at the local Staples.

been following this page:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_APCUPSD

Kernel seems to have all the right stuff...

heathen@localhost ~ $ emerge -pv apcupsd

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] sys-power/apcupsd-3.12.4 USE="ncurses usb -cgi -doc -nls -snmp -threads -vhosts" 0 kB

#rc-update add apcupsd default. So far so good.

$cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

<...>
T: Bus=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=051d ProdID=0002 Rev= 1.06
S: Manufacturer=APC
S: Product=Back-UPS ES 350 FW:823.B1.D USB FW:B1
S: SerialNumber=3B0742X02836
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr= 0mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbhid
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 6 Ivl=10ms
<...>

But when I try dialup I get this:

Device ttyS0 is blocked by PID 3981

which turns out is apcupsd. So I have to kill it before I can dial out.
Sure enough, in the conf file there is this: DEVICE /dev/ttyS0.

Which makes me wonder why it needs /dev/ttyS0? I'm using an external USR modem which uses ttyS0.

If I don't need to protect a fax-machine why do I need that phone line connector in the back of the UPS device anyway? When the power goes I don't care if the modem dies.

Can I just tell it to use one of these other /dev/ttyS*? If I comment out that DEVICE line will the thing still protect my PC?

heathen@localhost ~ $ ls /dev/ttyS*
/dev/ttyS0 /dev/ttyS1 /dev/ttyS2 /dev/ttyS3

Maxim

Old 05-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 16 May 2008 14:57:24 -0700 (PDT), maxim wexler wrote:

> > Thanks for your exhaustive replies. I've decided to go
> > for the APC ES-350 for seventy bucks at the local Staples.

> But when I try dialup I get this:
>
> Device ttyS0 is blocked by PID 3981
>
> which turns out is apcupsd. So I have to kill it before I can dial out.
> Sure enough, in the conf file there is this: DEVICE /dev/ttyS0.

Is this a serial or USB model? My APC CS 650 uses USB and the DEVICE
entry in the config file is just "DEVICE" as per the comments in the file
and the man page.

If it is a serial device, then you clearly cannot have two devices
plugged into the same post, so one of them must be ttyS1 or higher.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 002: No Error - Yet

Old 05-17-2008, 01:23 AM
maxim wexler

> On Fri, 16 May 2008 14:57:24 -0700 (PDT), maxim wexler
> wrote:
>
> > > Thanks for your exhaustive replies. I've
> decided to go
> > > for the APC ES-350 for seventy bucks at the local
> Staples.
>
> > But when I try dialup I get this:
> >
> > Device ttyS0 is blocked by PID 3981
> >
> > which turns out is apcupsd. So I have to kill it
> before I can dial out.
> > Sure enough, in the conf file there is this: DEVICE
> /dev/ttyS0.
>
> Is this a serial or USB model? My APC CS 650 uses USB and

USB

> the DEVICE
> entry in the config file is just "DEVICE" as per
> the comments in the file
> and the man page.

There are comments for everything else except the line:

DEVICE /dev/ttyS0

But that would seem to conflict with the line further up the page:

UPSCABLE usb

But yeah, the manual says leave DEVICE blank for USB-connected units. I'll try that. Thanks.

mw