Old 11-30-2007, 03:13 AM
David Relson

Default equery depends ----> Invalid db entry:

$$$ equery depends /etc/init.d/samba

[ Searching for packages depending on /etc/init.d/samba... ]
!!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//app-misc
!!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//dev-perl
!!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//app-crypt
!!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//virtual
!!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//dev-util
!!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//sys-devel
!!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//sys-libs
!!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//dev-libs
!!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//app-admin

Any thoughts why equery is complaining?

As an experiment I ran eix-update to try to clear up the problem, but
it didn't have any effect.

Regards,

David

Old 11-30-2007, 04:58 AM
ezotrank

On 23:13 Thu 29 Nov , David Relson wrote:

> $$$ equery depends /etc/init.d/samba
>
> [ Searching for packages depending on /etc/init.d/samba... ]
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//app-misc
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//dev-perl
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//app-crypt
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//virtual
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//dev-util
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//sys-devel
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//sys-libs
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//dev-libs
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//app-admin
>

> Any thoughts why equery is complaining?
>
> As an experiment I ran eix-update to try to clear up the problem, but
> it didn't have any effect.
>
> Regards,
>
> David

maybe you help revdep-rebuild
With best regards, ezotrank
kernel 2.6.23-gentoo-r2, system uptime: 07:58:21 up 8:38, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.04

Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 AM
Marc Joliet

Am Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:13:10 -0500
schrieb David Relson <relson@osagesoftware.com>:

> $$$ equery depends /etc/init.d/samba
>
> [ Searching for packages depending on /etc/init.d/samba... ]
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//app-misc
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//dev-perl
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//app-crypt
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//virtual
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//dev-util
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//sys-devel
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//sys-libs
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//dev-libs
> !!! Invalid db entry: /var/db/pkg//app-admin
>

> Any thoughts why equery is complaining?
>
> As an experiment I ran eix-update to try to clear up the problem, but
> it didn't have any effect.
>
> Regards,
>
> David

Relevant snip from the manpage:

depends <local-opts> pkgspec
This command displays all dependencies matching pkgspec.
<local-opts> is either or both of:
-a, --all-packages search in all available packages (slow)
-d, --direct search direct dependencies only (default)
-D, --indirect search indirect dependencies (very slow)
--depth=n Limit depth of indirect dependency tree to n
levels. Setting --depth=0 is the same as not specifing --indirect.

So "equery depends" expects a package name, not a file name. What
exactly are you trying to do?

--
Marc Joliet

Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 AM
David Relson

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:52:03 +0100
Marc Joliet wrote:

..[snip]..

> Relevant snip from the manpage:
>
> depends <local-opts> pkgspec
> This command displays all dependencies matching pkgspec.
> <local-opts> is either or both of:
> -a, --all-packages search in all available packages
> (slow) -d, --direct search direct dependencies only (default)
> -D, --indirect search indirect dependencies (very slow)
> --depth=n Limit depth of indirect dependency tree to n
> levels. Setting --depth=0 is the same as not specifing --indirect.
>
> So "equery depends" expects a package name, not a file name. What
> exactly are you trying to do?
>
> --
> Marc Joliet

Hello Marc,

Right you are, I was using the wrong command.

If I recall, last night I wanted to find which package _provides_ a
given file. Obviously the file in my sample, i.e. /etc/init.d/samba,
is from net-fs/samba but the general question remains: How does one
find the package from which a file came?

Regards,

David

Old 11-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Dale

David Relson wrote:

[...]

equery belongs <file name>

That help?

Dale

:-)* :-)* :-)*

Old 11-30-2007, 11:50 AM
David Relson

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 06:40:17 -0600
Dale wrote:

> David Relson wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:52:03 +0100
> > Marc Joliet wrote:
> >
> > ..[snip]..
> >

> >> Relevant snip from the manpage:
> >>
> >> depends <local-opts> pkgspec
> >> This command displays all dependencies matching
> >> pkgspec. <local-opts> is either or both of:
> >> -a, --all-packages search in all available packages
> >> (slow) -d, --direct search direct dependencies only (default)
> >> -D, --indirect search indirect dependencies (very
> >> slow) --depth=n Limit depth of indirect dependency tree to n
> >> levels. Setting --depth=0 is the same as not specifing --indirect.
> >>
> >> So "equery depends" expects a package name, not a file name. What
> >> exactly are you trying to do?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Marc Joliet
> >>

> > Hello Marc,
> >
> > Right you are, I was using the wrong command.
> >
> > If I recall, last night I wanted to find which package _provides_ a
> > given file. Obviously the file in my sample,
> > i.e. /etc/init.d/samba, is from net-fs/samba but the general
> > question remains: How does one find the package from which a file
> > came?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > David
> >

> equery belongs <file name>
>
> That help?
>
> Dale

Indeed it does!

Thanks, Dale.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 06:40:17 -0600, Dale wrote:

> equery belongs <file name>

Or, if you want the result quickly, qfile <file name>

qfile is part of portage-utils.

--
Neil Bothwick

Illiterate? Write today for free help.