Old 05-15-2008, 06:20 PM
James

Default FreeAgent USB drive

Hello,

I have a FreeAgent(Seagate) usb drive, that shows up as /medea/sdb1
in Konqueror. I can go thru it via Konqueror and see all of the files
(dll .exe, docs etc) but I cannot cd into the directories and sub
directories and see any files.

The kernel I use (2.6.24-gentoo-r7) has NTFS r/w enabled and fat fs too.
It works fine with most usb/ntfs devices. I also have ivman installed
as well as dbus and hald.

I've googled and folks talk about FreeAgent usb drive not being too
linux friendly. The advise ranges from reformat the drive to patching
the kernel to deal with it "auto-shut-down".

I'd be curious how folks on this list use a free agent usb drive with Gentoo.

If possible, I'd like to keep it with it's windows features and be able
to move it seemlessly between doz and gentoo system, as a general purpose
backup/restore/archive drive.

Ideas and comments are most welcome.

James

Old 05-16-2008, 06:23 AM
Akselii

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:20 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a FreeAgent(Seagate) usb drive, that shows up as /medea/sdb1
> in Konqueror. I can go thru it via Konqueror and see all of the files
> (dll .exe, docs etc) but I cannot cd into the directories and sub
> directories and see any files.
>
> The kernel I use (2.6.24-gentoo-r7) has NTFS r/w enabled and fat fs too.
> It works fine with most usb/ntfs devices. I also have ivman installed
> as well as dbus and hald.
>
> I've googled and folks talk about FreeAgent usb drive not being too
> linux friendly. The advise ranges from reformat the drive to patching
> the kernel to deal with it "auto-shut-down".
>
> I'd be curious how folks on this list use a free agent usb drive with Gentoo.
>
> If possible, I'd like to keep it with it's windows features and be able
> to move it seemlessly between doz and gentoo system, as a general purpose
> backup/restore/archive drive.
>

> Ideas and comments are most welcome.
>

> James

Did you try to patch the kernel with that auto shutdown thingy? Btw,
there is a pretty good ext2 driver for windows. Thats how i backed up
my last system

--
Akseli Ollikainen

Old 05-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Stroller

I have a FreeAgent(Seagate) usb drive, that shows up as /medea/sdb1
in Konqueror. I can go thru it via Konqueror and see all of the files
(dll .exe, docs etc) but I cannot cd into the directories and sub
directories and see any files.

What does `ls -ld /media/sdb1` say?
How about `ls -l /media/sdb1` and `ls -ld /media/sdb1/path/to/dir/you/
cannot/cd/into`?
If you're unable to run these commands, are you able to do so as
root, using `su` or `sudo`?

Stroller.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:30 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:20 AM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a FreeAgent(Seagate) usb drive, that shows up as /medea/sdb1
> in Konqueror. I can go thru it via Konqueror and see all of the files
> (dll .exe, docs etc) but I cannot cd into the directories and sub
> directories and see any files.
>
> The kernel I use (2.6.24-gentoo-r7) has NTFS r/w enabled and fat fs too.
> It works fine with most usb/ntfs devices. I also have ivman installed
> as well as dbus and hald.
>
> I've googled and folks talk about FreeAgent usb drive not being too
> linux friendly. The advise ranges from reformat the drive to patching
> the kernel to deal with it "auto-shut-down".
>
> I'd be curious how folks on this list use a free agent usb drive with Gentoo.
>
> If possible, I'd like to keep it with it's windows features and be able
> to move it seemlessly between doz and gentoo system, as a general purpose
> backup/restore/archive drive.
>

> Ideas and comments are most welcome.
>

> James

I have multiple external USB drives that I use with this kernel.
However I do have a couple that don't seem to work so well. My clue is
to look at dmesg with the drive attached and then again after the
drive is first attached. In the case of a good drive I'm going to get
a bunch of messages about the drive and its partitions. Look carefully
at the device name

/dev/sda
/dev/sdb

etc.

Then look at the partitions the USB driver is finding on the drive:

/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb2

Once you see those you're good to go.

fdisk -l /dev/sdb

will list the partitions and give you sizes, etc.

For drives that don't work I get messages about the drive is
stabilizing and the system is waiting. If that happens nothing I've
found so far makes that drive work on that system.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Old 05-16-2008, 11:01 PM
James

Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:

> On 15 May 2008, at 19:20, James wrote:
> > I have a FreeAgent(Seagate) usb drive, that shows up as /medea/sdb1
> > in Konqueror. I can go thru it via Konqueror and see all of the files
> > (dll .exe, docs etc) but I cannot cd into the directories and sub
> > directories and see any files.
>
> What does `ls -ld /media/sdb1` say?

Now the drive shows up as sdc1. When I plug it in
Konqueror pops up showing the drive's contents:
system:/media/sdc1

> How about `ls -l /media/sdb1` and `ls -ld /media/sdb1/path/to/dir/you/
> cannot/cd/into`?

ls -ld /media/sdc1
ls: cannot access /media/sdc1: No such file or directory

but it does show up as 'FreeAgent Drive'

ls /media/
FreeAgent Drive sdb1 sdb12 sdb5 sdb7 sdb8 sdb9 sdc sdc3 sdd sdd1

This seems to indicate that the names used by Konqueror and udev
are not consistent. I can go through Konqueror and read the file,
but the edits do not work via Konqueror or with vi going thru
the dir tree to access the file.

dr-x------ 1 james root 4096 Oct 13 2007 FreeAgent Drive

# chmod 777 FreeAgent Drive/
chmod: changing permissions of `FreeAgent Drive/': Read-only file system

> If you're unable to run these commands, are you able to do so as
> root, using `su` or `sudo`?

I tried everything as root. I have support for the necessary file
systems in the kernel. However, I do think my problem is the
kernel options....

James

Old 05-16-2008, 11:21 PM
James

Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have multiple external USB drives that I use with this kernel.
> However I do have a couple that don't seem to work so well. My clue is
> to look at dmesg with the drive attached and then again after the
> drive is first attached. In the case of a good drive I'm going to get
> a bunch of messages about the drive and its partitions. Look carefully
> at the device name

From dmesg:

usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 12
usb 4-1: USB disconnect, address 12
usb 4-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 14
usb 4-2: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
usb-storage: device found at 14
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
scsi 9:0:0:0: Direct-Access Seagate FreeAgentDesktop 100D PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdc] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108 MB)
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 1c 00 00 00
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdc] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108 MB)
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 1c 00 00 00
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
sdc: sdc1
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
sd 9:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
ReiserFS: sdb5: warning: zam-7001: io error in reiserfs_find_entry
ReiserFS: sdb5: warning: zam-7001: io error in reiserfs_find_entry
ReiserFS: sdb7: warning: zam-7001: io error in reiserfs_find_entry
ReiserFS: sdb7: warning: zam-7001: io error in reiserfs_find_entry
ReiserFS: sdb1: warning: zam-7001: io error in reiserfs_find_entry
ReiserFS: sdb1: warning: zam-7001: io error in reiserfs_find_entry
ReiserFS: sdb9: warning: zam-7001: io error in reiserfs_find_entry
ReiserFS: sdb9: warning: zam-7001: io error in reiserfs_find_entry
NTFS-fs warning (device sdc1): parse_options(): Option utf8 is no longer
supported, using option nls=utf8. Please use option nls=utf8 in the future and
make sure utf8 is compiled either as a module or into the kernel.
NTFS volume version 3.1.
NTFS-fs error (device sdc1): load_system_files(): Volume is dirty. Mounting
read-only. Run chkdsk and mount in Windows.

I'm definitely seeing your issues.

James