Old 05-15-2008, 09:34 AM
"Marko Kocić"

Default Howto mask release candidates?

Is it possible in packages.mask to mask only release
candidates/alpha/beta versions, while leaving final releases unmasked?

Thanks,
Marko

Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 15 May 2008, Marko Kocić wrote:
> Is it possible in packages.mask to mask only release
> candidates/alpha/beta versions, while leaving final releases
> unmasked?

Do you want one line that applies it everywhere? I don't think that is
supported, and you pretty much have to list them per-package.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Iain Buchanan

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 11:34 +0200, Marko Kocić wrote:
> Is it possible in packages.mask to mask only release
> candidates/alpha/beta versions, while leaving final releases unmasked?

what is the aim of this? To have a stable system? In that case you
should make sure ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in make.conf does NOT have a ~

Then you may get release candidates and betas but only when they're
proven to work, or work better.

hth,

"Success covers a multitude of blunders."
-- George Bernard Shaw

Old 05-16-2008, 08:29 AM
"Marko Kocić"

>> Is it possible in packages.mask to mask only release
>> candidates/alpha/beta versions, while leaving final releases unmasked?
>
> what is the aim of this? To have a stable system? In that case you
> should make sure ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in make.conf does NOT have a ~
>
> Then you may get release candidates and betas but only when they're
> proven to work, or work better.

I don't wand to mask all rc/alphas/betas for all packages, but only for some.

The aim is to be able to use eg vanilla-sources versioned with 2.25, 2.25.1,
2.25.2, 2.25.3, 2.26. 2.26.1 while skipping 2.26_rcZ, 2.25.rcx, 2.27_rcX.

Thanks,
Marko

Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Justin

Marko Kocić schrieb:

Is it possible in packages.mask to mask only release
candidates/alpha/beta versions, while leaving final releases unmasked?

what is the aim of this? To have a stable system? In that case you
should make sure ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in make.conf does NOT have a ~

Then you may get release candidates and betas but only when they're
proven to work, or work better.

I don't wand to mask all rc/alphas/betas for all packages, but only for some.

The aim is to be able to use eg vanilla-sources versioned with 2.25, 2.25.1,
2.25.2, 2.25.3, 2.26. 2.26.1 while skipping 2.26_rcZ, 2.25.rcx, 2.27_rcX.

Thanks,
Marko

In my portage there are only rc for 26. So just add
<=sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.26 to your packages.keywords.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Justin

Justin schrieb:

Marko Kocić schrieb:

Is it possible in packages.mask to mask only release
candidates/alpha/beta versions, while leaving final releases unmasked?

what is the aim of this? To have a stable system? In that case you
should make sure ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in make.conf does NOT have a ~

Then you may get release candidates and betas but only when they're
proven to work, or work better.

I don't wand to mask all rc/alphas/betas for all packages, but only
for some.

The aim is to be able to use eg vanilla-sources versioned with 2.25,
2.25.1,
2.25.2, 2.25.3, 2.26. 2.26.1 while skipping 2.26_rcZ, 2.25.rcx,
2.27_rcX.

Thanks,
Marko

In my portage there are only rc for 26. So just add
<=sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.26 to your packages.keywords.

I ment <sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.26!!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:01 AM
"Marko Kocić"

>> In my portage there are only rc for 26. So just add
>> <=sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.26 to your packages.keywords.
>>
> I ment <sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.26!!

Yes, but then I will not be notified by portage that new version (2.6.26 final)
is available. I will have to manually track versions.
And since all versions <2.6.26 are masked, 2.6.25.1 will be uninstalled during
emerge -u

Old 05-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Justin

Marko Kocić schrieb:

In my portage there are only rc for 26. So just add
<=sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.26 to your packages.keywords.

I ment <sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.26!!

Yes, but then I will not be notified by portage that new version (2.6.26 final)
is available. I will have to manually track versions.

If the final reaches stable in portage a emerge -u world will point on this.

And since all versions <2.6.26 are masked, 2.6.25.1 will be uninstalled during
emerge -u

You have to put it in packages.keywords and not mask!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Justin

Justin schrieb:

Marko Kocić schrieb:

In my portage there are only rc for 26. So just add
<=sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.26 to your packages.keywords.

I ment <sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.26!!

Yes, but then I will not be notified by portage that new version
(2.6.26 final)

is available. I will have to manually track versions.

If the final reaches stable in portage a emerge -u world will point on
this.
And since all versions <2.6.26 are masked, 2.6.25.1 will be
uninstalled during

emerge -u

You have to put it in packages.keywords and not mask!

Just add following to /etc/portage/packages.mask

=sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.26_rc*
=sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.27_rc*
=sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.28_rc*
=sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.29_rc*

On my system it works.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:28 AM
"Marko Kocić"

>> You have to put it in packages.keywords and not mask!
>>
> Just add following to /etc/portage/packages.mask
>
> =sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.26_rc*
> =sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.27_rc*
> =sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.28_rc*
> =sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.29_rc*
>
> On my system it works.

Thanks, seems I missed wildcards section in man pages