Old 05-14-2008, 11:30 PM

Default sendmail trb post update wrld and jump to openrc

Following a recent jump from pre openrc to post openrc via emerge -vuD
world, sendmail is now failing to authenticate with my Smart host.

I'll say in advance that I am not interested in switching MTAs for the
inevitable suggestions to switch to a different MTA.

Far as I know nothing has changed with my Smart Host... (comcast.net)
and I haven't changed any sendmail config files.

But following along with the smtp conversation with mail -v I see my
messages meet a hefty pause at the point were my machine shakes hands
with the smtp.comcast.net server. (The output is inlined at the end).

There is no mention of authentication failing it just says the
connection is `deferred' and then times out.

Sendmail-8.14.2 here

You can see from output below that the message makes it past my local
submit agent and then following the line that says:
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
>>> .
The connection is deferred and then times out.

mail -v -s "<$DATE-$(hostname)>" harryp@newsguy.com

harryp@newsguy.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
220 reader.local.lan ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.2/8.14.2; Wed, 14 May 2008
18:19:21 -0500
>>> EHLO reader.local.lan
250-reader.local.lan Hello reader.local.lan [127.0.0.1], pleased to
meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-EXPN
250-VERB
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
>>> VERB
250 2.0.0 Verbose mode
AUTH=reader@reader.local.lan
250 2.1.0 <reader@reader.local.lan>... Sender ok
250 2.1.5 <harryp@newsguy.com>... Recipient ok
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
>>> .

2 or more minute pause here

050 <harryp@newsguy.com>... Connecting to smtp.comcast.net via
relay...
050 <harryp@newsguy.com>... Deferred: Connection timed out with
smtp.comcast.net
250 2.0.0 m4ENJLAS003991 Message accepted for delivery
harryp@newsguy.com... Sent (m4ENJLAS003991 Message accepted for
delivery)
Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
>>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 reader.local.lan closing connection