Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 PM
"Matthew R. Lee"

Default possible gentoo-sources stuff-up

I just ran emerge --depclean and missed that it was going to remove
gentoo-sources-2.6.22-r2, the sources for the kernel I'm currently using.
Now what I'm not sure about is, do I need the sources, or is the kernel image
in /boot sufficient. Do I need to build myself a new working kernel before I
reboot again? I can't reemerge 2.6.22-r2 becuase it's no longer available.
Thanks
Matt
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Dr. Matthew R. Lee

matt@matthewlee.org

Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 15 May 2008, Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> I just ran emerge --depclean and missed that it was going to remove
> gentoo-sources-2.6.22-r2, the sources for the kernel I'm currently
> using. Now what I'm not sure about is, do I need the sources, or is
> the kernel image in /boot sufficient. Do I need to build myself a
> new working kernel before I reboot again? I can't reemerge 2.6.22-r2
> becuase it's no longer available. Thanks

Hi Matt,

The answer to why this happens is in a thread from earlier today when
this happened to mark Knecht. Summary:

This is a new thing that --depclean does. Just remerge the sources you
want, put them in world if you want to guarantee that --depclean won't
be overly helpful in future.

As for the sources themselves, they are only needed to build a kernel or
out-of-tree modules (ati drivers, ndiswrapper, vmware-modules, etc
etc). You already have a working kernel, so you are safe. Gentoo does
not require anything in /usr/src - unlike most binary distros it
doesn't keep kernel headers there, they are somewhere else and
completely unaffected by the presence or absence of full sources.

If you do need to remerge the original sources, you can grab the
original ebuild from the gentoo attic. Google will find it for you

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-14-2008, 11:01 PM
"Matthew R. Lee"

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 18:42:05 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thursday 15 May 2008, Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> > I just ran emerge --depclean and missed that it was going to remove
> > gentoo-sources-2.6.22-r2, the sources for the kernel I'm currently
> > using. Now what I'm not sure about is, do I need the sources, or is
> > the kernel image in /boot sufficient. Do I need to build myself a
> > new working kernel before I reboot again? I can't reemerge 2.6.22-r2
> > becuase it's no longer available. Thanks
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> The answer to why this happens is in a thread from earlier today when
> this happened to mark Knecht. Summary:
>
> This is a new thing that --depclean does. Just remerge the sources you
> want, put them in world if you want to guarantee that --depclean won't
> be overly helpful in future.
>
> As for the sources themselves, they are only needed to build a kernel or
> out-of-tree modules (ati drivers, ndiswrapper, vmware-modules, etc
> etc). You already have a working kernel, so you are safe. Gentoo does
> not require anything in /usr/src - unlike most binary distros it
> doesn't keep kernel headers there, they are somewhere else and
> completely unaffected by the presence or absence of full sources.
>
> If you do need to remerge the original sources, you can grab the
> original ebuild from the gentoo attic. Google will find it for you
>

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
Thanks for the info. I'm really not in the mood for building a new kernel.
And I'll pay more attention in future, to --depclean and the list. Too much
work at the moment
Saludos
Matt

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Matthew R. Lee <gentoo@matthewlee.org> wrote:
> I just ran emerge --depclean and missed that it was going to remove
> gentoo-sources-2.6.22-r2, the sources for the kernel I'm currently using.
> Now what I'm not sure about is, do I need the sources, or is the kernel image
> in /boot sufficient. Do I need to build myself a new working kernel before I
> reboot again? I can't reemerge 2.6.22-r2 becuase it's no longer available.
> Thanks
> Matt
> --
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> Dr. Matthew R. Lee

As Alan said, I came across this earlier today. In my case
gentoo-sources was the only think in the --depclean list so I didn't
let emerge remove it but had I been presented with a longer list I
could have easily missed it.

To fix it, or be safe for the future when you are tired and not paying
much attention, you can add lines by hand in /var/lib/portage/world

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.24-r7
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.24-r8

Note the use of the colon instead of the dash. Don't ask me why but
that's what works.

With that I now have two kernels protected from this problem and can
still, I believe, do an emerge -C on a specific kernel that I might
want to get rid of in the future.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Old 05-15-2008, 05:25 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 15 May 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
> you can add lines by hand in /var/lib/portage/world
>
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.24-r7
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.24-r8
>
> Note the use of the colon instead of the dash. Don't ask me why but
> that's what works.

You can't put version numbers into the world file, but you can use SLOTs
indicated with a colon.

Kernel packages are always SLOTted, each version get's it's own SLOT.
That is so that you can have as many versions installed as you want.