Old 05-14-2008, 08:02 PM
"Mark Knecht"

Default --depclean wants to remove gentoo-sources

Hi,
Has emerge --depclean always removed older gentoo-sources or has
something changed? I don't remember this operation. Maybe I'm
forgetting something I already know on this subject but I'm drawing a
blank this afternoon.

I'm curious if there is a way to mask package from --depclean
removing them. In this case it wants to remove my running kernel tree
before I've updated to a newer kernel.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 05-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 14 May 2008 13:02:28 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Has emerge --depclean always removed older gentoo-sources or has
> something changed? I don't remember this operation. Maybe I'm
> forgetting something I already know on this subject but I'm drawing a
> blank this afternoon.
>
> I'm curious if there is a way to mask package from --depclean
> removing them. In this case it wants to remove my running kernel tree
> before I've updated to a newer kernel.

It's a recent change, where it now want to remove all but the newest
version. You can fix this by adding specific versions to world, or by not
running --depclean during a kernel upgrade.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 45: Resident alien

Old 05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2008 13:02:28 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Has emerge --depclean always removed older gentoo-sources or has
>> something changed? I don't remember this operation. Maybe I'm
>> forgetting something I already know on this subject but I'm drawing a
>> blank this afternoon.
>>
>> I'm curious if there is a way to mask package from --depclean
>> removing them. In this case it wants to remove my running kernel tree
>> before I've updated to a newer kernel.
>
> It's a recent change, where it now want to remove all but the newest
> version. You can fix this by adding specific versions to world, or by not
> running --depclean during a kernel upgrade.

Thanks Neil. Adding specific versions to world is fine solution for me.

Cheers,
Mark