Old 05-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Adam Carter

Default Gnome wallpaper

My wallpaper doesnt
come up when Gnome starts, but if i open the System -> Preferences ->
Appearance dialogue it appears (i dont even need to make a change). So it looks
like something is not running until i open the dialogue. Any ideas on how to fix
it?*Or will i have to resort to 'mv .gnome .gnome.orig' (or .gnome2) or
something like that?

Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 AM

Am 14.05.2008 um Uhr haben Sie geschrieben:
> My wallpaper doesnt come up when Gnome starts, but if i open the
System ->
> Preferences -> Appearance dialogue it appears (i dont even need to
make a
> change). So it looks like something is not running until i open the
dialogue.
> Any ideas on how to fix it? Or will i have to resort to 'mv .gnome
.gnome.orig'
> (or .gnome2) or something like that?

Does 'nautilus' start? Try using 'nautilus --no-desktop'...

Marc

Old 05-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Adam Carter

> > My wallpaper doesnt come up when Gnome starts,
<snip>
> Does 'nautilus' start? Try using 'nautilus --no-desktop'...

Not sure if it tries to or not, but when I try to run it as you suggest, it dies;

adam@absydos ~ $ nautilus --no-desktop &
[1] 7059
adam@absydos ~ $ Initializing gnome-mount extension

** (nautilus:7059): WARNING **: Failed to initialize libhal context: (null) : (null)

** (nautilus:7059): WARNING **: Could not initialize hal context

Shutting down gnome-mount extension

[1]+ Done nautilus --no-desktop
adam@absydos ~ $

So I found hald wasn't running, so I've started it (and rc-update added it) and now I get a ton of these;
** Message: drive = 0
** Message: volume = 0

Then it dies again;.
[1]+ Done nautilus --no-desktop
adam@absydos ~ $

Old 05-15-2008, 08:12 AM

My wallpaper doesnt come up when Gnome starts, but if i open the System ->
Preferences -> Appearance dialogue it appears (i dont even need to make a
change). So it looks like something is not running until i open the
dialogue. Any ideas on how to fix it? Or will i have to resort to 'mv .gnome
.gnome.orig' (or .gnome2) or something like that?

I have that when the filesystem the wallpaper is on (for me: /home), is not
mounted. I then manually do the mount and select the wallpaper as you describe.

So maybe your wallpaper is needed before the right filesystem is mounted. Maybe
it's a network file system?

Regards,
Christophe L.