Old 05-14-2008, 10:32 AM
"Marko Kocić"

Default Problem upgrading kernel from 2.6.25.1to 2.6.26_rc1

Hi all,

I'm using vanilla-sources-2.6.25.1 right now.
I tried to configure and build 2.6.26_rc1 like I did many times before.
> create symlink to linux-2.6.26-rc1 folder
> go to linux folder
> make menuconfig
> save
> make
> make modules_install install
Everythinh seems to build ok, with some MISMATCH_CONFIG warning, and
when I reboot to the new kernel, a bunch of modules that were there
before are not loaded anymore. Inspecting it it seems that some
modules are not even built.

Is it a known issue with 2.6.26-rc1 kernel? How could I painlessly
migrate configuration from old 2.6.25 kernel to 2.6.26 without need
for complete reconfiguration?
make menuconfig always keeped current config before, did it change recently?

Thanks,
Marko

Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Marko Kocić wrote:
> Is it a known issue with 2.6.26-rc1 kernel? How could I painlessly
> migrate configuration from old 2.6.25 kernel to 2.6.26 without need
> for complete reconfiguration?
> make menuconfig always keeped current config before, did it change
> recently?

It didn't change that I know of, but one can never tell. I suppose step
1 is to check what changed. So, either:

run make oldconfig
or
run make menuconfig and rapidly flip through all the screens looking for
entries that end with [NEW]

If that doesn't sort stuff out, then you will probably have to inspect
the area where you have missing modules more closely and read the help
pages. What are these missing modules? Often it's a case of a
replacement has a different name, like the b43legacy for Broadcom
wireless now has an entirely new b43 intended to replace b43legacy

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 AM
"Marko Kocić"

2008/5/14 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>:
> On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Marko Kocić wrote:
> > Is it a known issue with 2.6.26-rc1 kernel? How could I painlessly
> > migrate configuration from old 2.6.25 kernel to 2.6.26 without need
> > for complete reconfiguration?
> > make menuconfig always keeped current config before, did it change
> > recently?
>
> It didn't change that I know of, but one can never tell. I suppose step
> 1 is to check what changed. So, either:
>
> run make oldconfig
> or
> run make menuconfig and rapidly flip through all the screens looking for
> entries that end with [NEW]

Did that, but I probably missed to reenable something It was a long
time since
the last time I had to configure kernel from scratch, so it is hard to remember
everything.

> If that doesn't sort stuff out, then you will probably have to inspect
> the area where you have missing modules more closely and read the help
> pages. What are these missing modules? Often it's a case of a
> replacement has a different name, like the b43legacy for Broadcom
> wireless now has an entirely new b43 intended to replace b43legacy

It might be the case. I don't currently have access to my home laptop,
but there were lots of modules that are missing. Alsa and iptables failed to
start after reboot and I ended up in console screen which is small and
in the center of the screen.

Thanks,
Marko

Old 05-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Marko Kocić wrote:
> It might be the case. I don't currently have access to my home
> laptop, but there were lots of modules that are missing. Alsa and
> iptables failed to start after reboot and I ended up in console
> screen which is small and in the center of the screen.

Sounds like you have a lot more going on that one or two modules not

Perhaps the output of dmesg and the relevant bits of messages from the
init process will be required here

Old 05-14-2008, 11:29 AM
"Marko Kocić"

2008/5/14 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>:
> On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Marko Kocić wrote:
>
> > It might be the case. I don't currently have access to my home
> > laptop, but there were lots of modules that are missing. Alsa and
> > iptables failed to start after reboot and I ended up in console
> > screen which is small and in the center of the screen.
>
> Sounds like you have a lot more going on that one or two modules not

Yes. For some reason it was reset to N, so I had to set it again. Some
modules build and install ok (eg. agpgart)

> Perhaps the output of dmesg and the relevant bits of messages from the
> init process will be required here

Yes, I'll have to digg more to fix this. I just hoped that there is
some easy/fast
solution that I didn't know of
It is going to be a fun week ;(, hopefully not the weekend

Thanks for your help

Old 05-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Marko Kocić wrote:
> > *Perhaps the output of dmesg and the relevant bits of messages from
> > the init process will be required here
>
> Yes, I'll *have to digg more to fix this. I just hoped that there is
> some easy/fast
> solution that I didn't know of
> It is going to be a fun week ;(, hopefully not the weekend

Here's my advice:

start over :-)

Using a .24 config works to build .25 - I have done it, so I think
something just went bellyup on yours.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:54 AM
"Marko Kocić"

2008/5/14 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>:
> On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Marko Kocić wrote:
>
> > > Perhaps the output of dmesg and the relevant bits of messages from
> > > the init process will be required here
> >
> > Yes, I'll have to digg more to fix this. I just hoped that there is
> > some easy/fast
> > solution that I didn't know of
> > It is going to be a fun week ;(, hopefully not the weekend
>
> Here's my advice:
>
> start over :-)
>
> Using a .24 config works to build .25 - I have done it, so I think
> something just went bellyup on yours.

It worked for me too. I had similar problem when upgrading from 25 to 25.1,
but it seems like it was enough to fast scan through menus in menuconfig,
change nothing, just save config, and rebuild.
����z�b��z{h�����x%��

Old 05-17-2008, 07:16 PM
David Relson

On Wed, 14 May 2008 13:54:09 +0200
Marko Kocić wrote:

> > > Yes, I'll have to digg more to fix this. I just hoped that
> > > there is some easy/fast
> > > solution that I didn't know of
> > > It is going to be a fun week ;(, hopefully not the weekend
> >
> > Here's my advice:
> >
> > start over :-)
> >
> > Using a .24 config works to build .25 - I have done it, so I think
> > something just went bellyup on yours.
>
> It worked for me too. I had similar problem when upgrading from 25 to
> 25.1, but it seems like it was enough to fast scan through menus in
> menuconfig, change nothing, just save config, and rebuild.
> [Error decoding BASE64]

Given the old and new .config files you can diff them to see what's
different.