Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 PM
"Abraham Gyorgy"

Default Nice level for X11

Hello guys, in which configuration file can I set a nice level for X11? (this makes all graphical software run much faster, at least when I used Debian).

Thanks in advance

Old 05-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 21:50 +0200, Abraham Gyorgy wrote:
> Hello guys, in which configuration file can I set a nice level for
> X11? (this makes all graphical software run much faster, at least when
> I used Debian).

I forget, but I tried it a while back and didn't see positive results.
In my experience Linux already does a pretty good job with scheduling
and usually when I try to "out-smart" it I have performance issues.

-a

Old 05-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Uwe Thiem

On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Abraham Gyorgy wrote:
> Hello guys, in which configuration file can I set a nice level for
> X11? (this makes all graphical software run much faster, at least
> when I used Debian).

Nice factor for X makes graphical software run fater? I don't thinl
so. Not at all.

Uwe

--
Ignorance killed the cat, sir, curiosity was framed!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:03 PM
"Andrey Falko"

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Abraham Gyorgy <hangcsapda@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello guys, in which configuration file can I set a nice level for X11?
> (this makes all graphical software run much faster, at least when I used
> Debian).
>
> Thanks in advance

If you run startx, I think you can do something like "nice 5 startx"
see man page for the correct command. If you use kdm, then you can
change the init script the use nice.....this way is probably not the
easiest and fail-safe methods. Let see if any one knows if there is a
config setting for this somewhere.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:05 PM
"Andrey Falko"

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Uwe Thiem <uwix@iway.na> wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Abraham Gyorgy wrote:
> > Hello guys, in which configuration file can I set a nice level for
> > X11? (this makes all graphical software run much faster, at least
> > when I used Debian).
>
> Nice factor for X makes graphical software run fater? I don't thinl
> so. Not at all.

Nice factor gives X priority, so if you are compiling something and
X's priority is high, you'll be using X as if nothing was being
compiled.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Abraham Gyorgy wrote:
> > Hello guys, in which configuration file can I set a nice level for
> > X11? (this makes all graphical software run much faster, at least
> > when I used Debian).
>
> Nice factor for X makes graphical software run fater? I don't thinl
> so. Not at all.

Linus agrees with you. Linus is usually right.

There was a long drawn out thread on lkml a while back about this in
regard to process schedulers and this dodge/hack kept coming up. Linus'
point was that it does very little, upsets the kernel's view of how to
schedule jobs and he had numbers to back it up. Most interesting was
his assertion that niceness usually has very little effect on Linux
anyway - most differences noted are placebo effects - and niceness
comes from the days 30 years ago when Unix kernels were not smart about
scheduling. And niceness was only ever a kernel hint anyway.

I haven't seen any patches that might affect this since so I reckon it
still produces precious little effect.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Dienstag, 13. Mai 2008, Abraham Gyorgy wrote:
> Hello guys, in which configuration file can I set a nice level for X11?
> (this makes all graphical software run much faster, at least when I used
> Debian).

which is how many years ago?

really, with a recent kernel&X you more likely HURT performance than increase
is. Nice -10 was good maybe 10 years ago. That debian used it a bit longer is
just a sign for the typical debian inertia.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:33 AM
Daniel Iliev

On Tue, 13 May 2008 21:50:24 +0200
"Abraham Gyorgy" <hangcsapda@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys, in which configuration file can I set a nice level for
> X11? (this makes all graphical software run much faster, at least
> when I used Debian).
>
> Thanks in advance

If I wanted to change the niceness of X, I'd do something like

echo 'sleep 10 && renice -n -10 `pidof X`' >> "/etc/conf.d/local.start"

P.S.

I don't know if giving X a different nice level would bring any effect.

--
Best regards,
Daniel

Old 05-14-2008, 02:42 AM
"Andrey Falko"

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2008 21:50:24 +0200
>
> "Abraham Gyorgy" <hangcsapda@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello guys, in which configuration file can I set a nice level for
> > X11? (this makes all graphical software run much faster, at least
> > when I used Debian).
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>

> If I wanted to change the niceness of X, I'd do something like
>

> echo 'sleep 10 && renice -n -10 `pidof X`' >> "/etc/conf.d/local.start"
>

> P.S.
>
> I don't know if giving X a different nice level would bring any effect.

That would only give X higher niceness, not the apps the run under it,
so you won't see much benefit.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:30 AM
Daniel Iliev

On Tue, 13 May 2008 22:42:39 -0400
"Andrey Falko" <ma3oxuct@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hello guys, in which configuration file can I set a nice level for
> > > X11? (this makes all graphical software run much faster, at least
> > > when I used Debian).
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> >

> > If I wanted to change the niceness of X, I'd do something like
> >

> > echo 'sleep 10 && renice -n -10 `pidof X`' >>
> > "/etc/conf.d/local.start"
> >

> That would only give X higher niceness, not the apps the run under it,
> so you won't see much benefit.

If I got it right, the OP asked how to give a different niceness ONLY
to his X server. After all the apps might be running on a remote
machine. Hence my reply.

--
Best regards,
Daniel