Old 05-13-2008, 01:05 PM

Default eix-test-obolete

When running `eix-test-obsolete' after update world and revdep-rebuild
I get a list of 14 pkgs under the heading as listed below.
What does this mean... I'm running ~x86 and have been for yrs so the
ones that show `U' should have gotten updated during ... -vuD world.

root # emerge -vp dev-lang/nasm
[...]
[ebuild U ] dev-lang/nasm-2.02 [2.00] USE="-build -doc" 713 kB

Shows it will be updated. So why is -vuD world missing this pkg (and
the others)?

Some.. maybe all show piles of dependencies and some ..(the ones I've
grepped so far) do not appear in world file.

I guess I don't understand how the system got these packages but
appears not to know much about them.

Final output of eix-test-obsolete"
[...]
Installed packages with a version not in the database (or masked):

[u] dev-lang/nasm (2.00@01/02/08 -> (~)2.02): groovy little assembler
[u] gnome-base/gconf (2.14.0(2)@06/20/06 -> (~)2.22.0): Gnome
Configuration System and Daemon
[u] gnome-base/gnome-keyring (0.4.9@08/14/06 -> (~)2.22.1): Password
and keyring managing daemon
[u] gnome-base/gnome-vfs (2.14.2-r1(2)@01/16/07 -> (~)2.22.0): Gnome
Virtual Filesystem
[u] gnome-base/libbonobo (2.14.0@06/20/06 -> (~)2.22.0): GNOME CORBA
framework
[u] gnome-base/libbonoboui (2.14.0@08/14/06 -> (~)2.22.0): User
Interface part of libbonobo
[u] gnome-base/libgnome (2.14.1@08/14/06 -> (~)2.22.0): Essential
Gnome Libraries
[u] gnome-base/libgnomeui (2.14.1@08/14/06 -> (~)2.22.1): User
Interface routines for Gnome
[u] gnome-base/orbit (2.14.0(2)@06/20/06 -> 2.14.12): ORBit2 is a
high-performance CORBA ORB
[u] kde-base/kiconedit (3.5.7(3.5)@11/18/07 -> (~)3.5.9): KDE Icon
Editor
[u] net-libs/libgssglue (0.1@10/07/07 -> 0.1-r1): exports a gssapi
interface which calls other random gssapi libraries
[D] www-apps/gallery (2.2.3(2.2.3)@10/08/07 2.2.4(2.2.4)@01/19/08 ->
1.5.3 (~)1.5.7 2.2.4): Web based (PHP Script) photo album
viewer/creator
[u] x11-misc/icon-naming-utils (0.7.2@06/20/06 -> 0.8.6): Utils to
help with the transition to the new freedesktop.org naming scheme.
[u] x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme (2.14.2@08/14/06 -> (~)2.22.0): GNOME
2 default icon themes
Found 14 matches.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:18 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 6:05 AM, <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> When running `eix-test-obsolete' after update world and revdep-rebuild
> I get a list of 14 pkgs under the heading as listed below.
> What does this mean... I'm running ~x86 and have been for yrs so the
> ones that show `U' should have gotten updated during ... -vuD world.
>
> root # emerge -vp dev-lang/nasm
> [...]
> [ebuild U ] dev-lang/nasm-2.02 [2.00] USE="-build -doc" 713 kB
>
> Shows it will be updated. So why is -vuD world missing this pkg (and
> the others)?
>
> Some.. maybe all show piles of dependencies and some ..(the ones I've
> grepped so far) do not appear in world file.
>
> I guess I don't understand how the system got these packages but
> appears not to know much about them.

Try adding --with-bdeps y and see if that addresses it. I've got this
in my make.conf file

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"

Hope this helps,
Mark

Old 05-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 13 May 2008, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> When running `eix-test-obsolete' after update world and
> revdep-rebuild I get a list of 14 pkgs under the heading as listed
> below.
> What does this mean... I'm running ~x86 and have been for yrs so the
> ones that show `U' should have gotten updated during ... -vuD world.

Not necessarily. Perhaps the package is not in world, but is pulled in
by something else. Now, if every DEPENDS related to that package simply
says any old version must be there, an emerge world will not
necessarily pick up any updates. And it should have to: it's not in
world, every other package that uses it is quite happy with the version
you do have.

> root # emerge -vp dev-lang/nasm
> [...]
> [ebuild U ] dev-lang/nasm-2.02 [2.00] USE="-build -doc" 713 kB
>
> Shows it will be updated. So why is -vuD world missing this pkg
> (and the others)?
>
> Some.. maybe all show piles of dependencies and some ..(the ones I've
> grepped so far) do not appear in world file.
>
> I guess I don't understand how the system got these packages but
> appears not to know much about them.
>
> ================================================== ========
> Final output of eix-test-obsolete"
> [...]

See the line below?

> Installed packages with a version not in the database (or masked):

They probably got left behind during gnome updates.

emerge -av --depclean finds these

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 13 May 2008 07:18:33 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > I guess I don't understand how the system got these packages but
> > appears not to know much about them.
>
> Try adding --with-bdeps y and see if that addresses it. I've got this
> in my make.conf file
>
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"

Another possibility is that ypou merged them with the --oneshot option,
or that they were pulled in as a dependency of a package you no longer
have (or has been updated to a version that is no longer dependent on
them). What does "emerge --depclean -p" show?

--
Neil Bothwick

Phasers don't kill people...Unless you set them too high.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:46 PM

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 07:18:33 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> > I guess I don't understand how the system got these packages but
>> > appears not to know much about them.
>>
>> Try adding --with-bdeps y and see if that addresses it. I've got this
>> in my make.conf file
>>
>> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"
>
> Another possibility is that ypou merged them with the --oneshot option,
> or that they were pulled in as a dependency of a package you no longer
> have (or has been updated to a version that is no longer dependent on
> them). What does "emerge --depclean -p" show?

Along with dire warnings about ruining your system it lists 80 pkgs to
be removed. Some are also on the eix-test-obsolete list of 14.

I suspect I had better not allow it to actually remove these pkgs.

For example, one of the listed pkgs is:

gnome-base/libgnomeui

which equery says `firefox' and `etherape' depend on.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:56 PM

"Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com> writes:

>> I guess I don't understand how the system got these packages but
>> appears not to know much about them.
>
> Try adding --with-bdeps y and see if that addresses it. I've got this
> in my make.conf file

It does want to upgrade one of the pkgs with that set.
dev-lang/nasm

Old 05-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 13 May 2008 11:46:26 -0500, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> > Another possibility is that ypou merged them with the --oneshot
> > option, or that they were pulled in as a dependency of a package you
> > no longer have (or has been updated to a version that is no longer
> > dependent on them). What does "emerge --depclean -p" show?
>
> Along with dire warnings about ruining your system it lists 80 pkgs to
> be removed. Some are also on the eix-test-obsolete list of 14.
>
> I suspect I had better not allow it to actually remove these pkgs.

I think you should, as long as nothing system-critical is listed, and
emerge shouts loudly about removing those.

> For example, one of the listed pkgs is:
>
> gnome-base/libgnomeui
>
> which equery says `firefox' and `etherape' depend on.

equery depends is unreliable as it doesn't take proper account of USE
dependencies. What's the worst that can happen if you unmerge libgnomeui?
Probably that you can't start a GNOME desktop until it is re-emerged. As
long as you don't unmerge anything fro system and you run a deep world
update after a depclean, preferably followed by a revdep-rebuild, you
should be OK.

However, if this advice does break your computer, feel free to keep the
pieces

--
Neil Bothwick

ASSISTANT MANAGER: Feminine form of the word manager (q.v.).

Old 05-13-2008, 05:06 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2008 11:46:26 -0500, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>
> > > Another possibility is that ypou merged them with the --oneshot
> > > option, or that they were pulled in as a dependency of a package you
> > > no longer have (or has been updated to a version that is no longer
> > > dependent on them). What does "emerge --depclean -p" show?
> >
> > Along with dire warnings about ruining your system it lists 80 pkgs to
> > be removed. Some are also on the eix-test-obsolete list of 14.
> >
> > I suspect I had better not allow it to actually remove these pkgs.
>
> I think you should, as long as nothing system-critical is listed, and
> emerge shouts loudly about removing those.

On a long list of packages to be cleaned I find it comforting to use

emerge -C package1 package2 package3

and watch closely so that nothing system oriented gets taken out.

I've made the mistake of doing

emerge --depclean

on a long list of files and then having a system that was hard to fix.

Just my take on being careful.

- Mark

Old 05-13-2008, 09:18 PM

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> I think you should, as long as nothing system-critical is listed, and
> emerge shouts loudly about removing those.

I think your are probably right...

>> For example, one of the listed pkgs is:
>>
>> gnome-base/libgnomeui
>>
>> which equery says `firefox' and `etherape' depend on.
>
> equery depends is unreliable as it doesn't take proper account of USE
> dependencies. What's the worst that can happen if you unmerge libgnomeui?
> Probably that you can't start a GNOME desktop until it is re-emerged. As
> long as you don't unmerge anything fro system and you run a deep world
> update after a depclean, preferably followed by a revdep-rebuild, you
> should be OK.

I don't even use gnome desktop at all ... I'm a kde fan. So I guess I
should get it done...

Its good to have confirmed that `equery depends' is not that
reliable... I'd developed that apprehension a while ago.

I somehow doubt that firefox will cease to work if I unmerge
libgnomeui.

So here goes nothing...

Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 PM

"Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com> writes:

>> > Along with dire warnings about ruining your system it lists 80 pkgs to
>> > be removed. Some are also on the eix-test-obsolete list of 14.
>> >
>> > I suspect I had better not allow it to actually remove these pkgs.
>>
>> I think you should, as long as nothing system-critical is listed, and
>> emerge shouts loudly about removing those.
>>

> On a long list of packages to be cleaned I find it comforting to use
> emerge -C package1 package2 package3
> and watch closely so that nothing system oriented gets taken out.
>
> I've made the mistake of doing
> emerge --depclean on a long list of
> files and then having a system that was hard to fix.

> Just my take on being careful.

Sound advice... I too have got in trouble doing that... hence my
chicken pucky approach this time.

A step up from your advice (on a really long list) is to do it with a
list in a file. Then `for jj in `cat list`' loop down the list with
`if [[ $jj =~ regex ]]' using the -a flag to emerge. At least getting
a group of several at a time.

I once had to clean up a borrowed gentoo vmappliance and rebuild it to
my liking... There were very long lists during that process.