Old 05-13-2008, 03:26 AM
"de Almeida, Valmor F."

Default guest additions for vbox-1.6 gentoo guest on xp host

Hello,

Has anyone been able to install successfully the guest additions in a
vbox-1.6 gentoo guest?

I get the following when installing the additions:

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 1.6.0 Guest Additions for Linux installation
VirtualBox 1.6.0 Guest Additions installation
Which: no dkms in
(/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin...)
Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel module...
Building the shared folder support kernel module...
Installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions...

Could not set up the X Window VBoxClient service.
To start the VBoxClient service at log-in for a given user, add the
command 98vboxadd-xclient to the file .xinitrc in their home directory.
Successfully installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions.
Your must restart....

The Auto-Resize Guest Display in the vbox does not work, and seemless
mode is grayed out.

Also the screen size in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not work as it
should.

Any inputs appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Valmor de Almeida

Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 AM
PaulNM

de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:

[...]

Well, first I'd do a "dmesg | grep vbox" to see if there are any errors
listed.

When I do a search for 98vboxadd-xclient on my Debian-Etch guest I find
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/98vboxadd-client. This is a script that starts
/usr/bin/vboxadd-client with no options. If you tried the suggestion in
the output about adding it to .xinitrc, try running
/usr/bin/vboxadd-client from an xterminal.

Another thing, check to make sure that xorg.conf has "vboxvideo" as the
driver in the "Device" section. "grep vbox /etc/X11/xorg.conf"

Searches for dkms show that it's the Dynamic Kernel Module Support, a
framework used to generate Linux kernel modules whose sources do not
generally reside in the Linux kernel. If nothing else works, you may
want to check the guest kernel config for any options that allow you to
build modules from non-kernel sources (out of tree). For example, there
are a few CRC options in the Library routines section. That said, I
doubt this is the case since the modules seem to actually build okay.
The DKMS line may just be an informational message.

How did you install virtualbox? Make sure the Guest additions cd you're
using is the same version as the virtualbox install you have. If you
installed from portage, but downloaded the additions from the site, they
almost certainly don't match. VB 1.5.6 is the latest version in the
tree, with 1.5.4 being the latest stable (x86 and amd64) version.
(app-emulation/virtualbox-additions is in the tree)

Note two things though:
1: Everything I suggested refers to inside the guest OS, and
2: my info is from version 1.5.4_OSE.
It's possible the vboxadd-client script is different in 1.6.

Hope this helps, post any error messages you see,

PaulNM

Old 05-14-2008, 04:06 AM
"de Almeida, Valmor F."

It is clean.

> When I do a search for 98vboxadd-xclient on my Debian-Etch guest I
find
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98vboxadd-client. This is a script that starts
> /usr/bin/vboxadd-client with no options. If you tried the suggestion
in
> the output about adding it to .xinitrc, try running
> /usr/bin/vboxadd-client from an xterminal.

There is no 98vboxadd-xclient in my gentoo guest system. So I run
vboxadd-xclient within .xinitrc. However I also have tried from an xterm
and here is the result

Unable to connect to the host system.
Failed to connect to the host system.

Don't know where to go from here. Are there options when running
/usr/bin/vboxadd-xclient?

> Another thing, check to make sure that xorg.conf has "vboxvideo" as
the
> driver in the "Device" section. "grep vbox /etc/X11/xorg.conf"

Yup.

> The DKMS line may just be an informational message.

I tend to agree.

> How did you install virtualbox? Make sure the Guest additions cd
you're
> using is the same version as the virtualbox install you have. If you
> installed from portage, but downloaded the additions from the site,
they

Sorry I confused you. My host is a Windows XP. The guest addition is
certainly from vbox-1.6

> Hope this helps, post any error messages you see,
>
> PaulNM

Thank you for your efforts.

--
Valmor

Old 05-14-2008, 05:27 PM
"de Almeida, Valmor F."

Just to close this thread with a fix.

Instead of running vboxadd-xclient in the .xinitrc file, run
VBoxClient.

The seamless mode works and the auto-resize guest display works too.

Enjoy an almost fully functional gentoo guest inside windows xp. The
only issue still pending is sharing the clipboard.

--
Valmor