Old 05-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

Default Change NIC ordering

On Sunday 11 May 2008, 20:03, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> In a machine with two NICs:
>
> 1) How do I configure which is considered eth0?

Probably editing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

> 2) After drivers are loaded how do I see what hardware is using which
> driver?

The above file should have a comment before each line indicating what
driver the device needs. Apart from that, you can probably peek
into /sys. On my system, there seems to exist a directory named
/sys/class/net/<device>/device/driver/module/drivers/pci:<module>/, for
instance for eth0 it's

/sys/class/net/eth0/device/driver/module/drivers/pci:3c59x/

So I see that eth0 is using driver 3c59x. This is a totally homebrew
method, the result of 5-minute search, and most likely better method
exist (which I'd like to know too).

Old 05-11-2008, 06:40 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu
<shrdlu@unlimitedmail.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 11 May 2008, 20:03, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> > In a machine with two NICs:
> >
> > 1) How do I configure which is considered eth0?
>
> Probably editing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.
>

> > 2) After drivers are loaded how do I see what hardware is using which
> > driver?
>
> The above file should have a comment before each line indicating what
> driver the device needs. Apart from that, you can probably peek
> into /sys. On my system, there seems to exist a directory named
> /sys/class/net/<device>/device/driver/module/drivers/pci:<module>/, for
> instance for eth0 it's
>
> /sys/class/net/eth0/device/driver/module/drivers/pci:3c59x/
>
> So I see that eth0 is using driver 3c59x. This is a totally homebrew
> method, the result of 5-minute search, and most likely better method
> exist (which I'd like to know too).

Thanks. As per the note I sent a couple of minutes ago I found the
persistant-net.rules file. I've modified it, rebooted and things are
working as I want them to. eth0 is still IP address 192.168.1.57 but
it's moved to the Intel e100 NIC. Other machine on my network can see
it.

Thanks for the pointer to the /sys/class stuff. I've only looked at
that once trying to understand frame buffer stuff. This was a big
help. With the changes I now see:

/sys/class/net/eth0/device/driver/module/drivers/pci:e100/
/sys/class/net/eth1/device/driver/module/drivers/pci:3c59x/

which is what I want for now.

Again, thanks for the great info.

Cheers,
Mark