Old 05-11-2008, 05:35 PM
"Michael Beasley"

Default UPS recommendation

On 10:15 Sun 11 May , maxim wexler wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> This summer's electrical storms are coming and I can count on my PC stopping dead several times over the season.
>
> I did a search for UPS units and was overwhelmed by the diversity out there.
>
> What can the group recommend?
>
> I only need something that will give me about a minute's head start to safely turn of the box.
>
> Maxim

I have the CyberPower (geeksquad) 875VA, http://tinyurl.com/2sbxfl.
Works great with apcupsd.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Roy Wright

I have several Belkin UPSs which over the years have only let me down
once (we had a power substation fire which did some really funky things
to the AC for a couple of minutes, afterward my motherboard on one
computer "protected" by a Belkin UPS was dead). My main complaint with
the Belkins is there insistence to loudly beep every 30s when on
battery. Acceptable for 1 UPS, really annoying for 5... :-)

Also I tried an off-brand small UPS on my wireless broadband router in
the attic, it only lasted about a year before dying.

When shopping, check replacement battery cost and availability.

When sizing, you may want to include your infrastructure (routers,
switches) and displays.

Have fun,
Roy

Old 05-11-2008, 06:06 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:15 AM, maxim wexler <blissfix@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> This summer's electrical storms are coming and I can count on my PC stopping dead several times over the season.
>
> I did a search for UPS units and was overwhelmed by the diversity out there.
>
> What can the group recommend?
>
> I only need something that will give me about a minute's head start to safely turn of the box.
>
> Maxim

I have two APC USP's. We have an older home with 2-conductor wiring. I
have not been happy with these units since we moved in here. Our
previous home had 3-conductor wiring and they seemed to work better in
that house.

The APC's are supported by apcupsd which will shut your machines down
for you. It's important that you make sure whatever choice you make is
well supported as you will likely not be sitting right there when the
problem occurs.

- Mark