Old 05-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Martin Lehmann

Default installing lomount

Hi,

i want to use lomount for mounting a partition out of a diskimage.

I am sure that lomount is part of sys-apps/util-linux, but it is not
there after the emerge.

Any hints?

regards,
Martin

Old 05-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 11 May 2008, Martin Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i want to use lomount for mounting a partition out of a diskimage.
>
> I am sure that lomount is part of sys-apps/util-linux, but it is not
> there after the emerge.
>
> Any hints?

According to this very useful site:

http://www.portagefilelist.de/index.php/Special:PFLQuery

the only package that provides lomount is xen. Which seems odd.

What is it that you want to do? Do you have a single filesystem in one
file created with dd or the like and need to mount that, or did you dd
an entire disk containing more than one filesystem and need to mount
just one of them?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag, 11. Mai 2008, Martin Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i want to use lomount for mounting a partition out of a diskimage.
>
> I am sure that lomount is part of sys-apps/util-linux, but it is not
> there after the emerge.
>
> Any hints?

emerge xen-tools

Old 05-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Martin Lehmann

According to this very useful site:

http://www.portagefilelist.de/index.php/Special:PFLQuery

the only package that provides lomount is xen. Which seems odd.

ok, its seems that this will only be the last chance if nothing else
will work.

What is it that you want to do? Do you have a single filesystem in one
file created with dd or the like and need to mount that, or did you dd
an entire disk containing more than one filesystem and need to mount
just one of them?

I want to extract a partition from a virtualbox hdd-image.

I copied the content of the .vdi to a dd image.

./vditool COPYDD image.vdi image.img

Now the problem is, that this is a image of a whole hdd. I only need one
partition out of it.

Then i want to copy the content of this partition to a partition located
of the "real" hdd

Old 05-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 11 May 2008, Martin Lehmann wrote:
> Now the problem is, that this is a image of a whole hdd. I only need
> one partition out of it.
>
> Then i want to copy the content of this partition to a partition
> located of the "real" hdd

A brute force approach, but probably the easiest and fastest:

Assign this image to a VirtualBox vm and start it. Or get a vm to use
it, even if you have tot move it to another machine. Then scp it off
the vm onto the real hardware.

Inelegant, but works :-)

Old 05-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 13:24 +0200, Martin Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i want to use lomount for mounting a partition out of a diskimage.
>
> I am sure that lomount is part of sys-apps/util-linux, but it is not
> there after the emerge.
>
> Any hints?

It's parte of xen-tools. But if you don't want the entire xen-tools
package:

---
# cd /usr/portage/app-emulation/xen-tools
# ebuild xen-tools-3.2.1.ebuild fetch
# ebuild xen-tools-3.2.1.ebuild unpack
# cd
/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/xen-tools-3.2.1/work/xen-3.2.1/tools/misc/lomount/
# make
# cp lomount /usr/local/bin
---

HTH,
-a

Old 05-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Joe User

Am Sonntag, 11. Mai 2008 13:40:18 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> On Sunday 11 May 2008, Martin Lehmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i want to use lomount for mounting a partition out of a diskimage.
> >
> > I am sure that lomount is part of sys-apps/util-linux, but it is
> > not there after the emerge.
> >
> > Any hints?
>
> According to this very useful site:
>
> http://www.portagefilelist.de/index.php/Special:PFLQuery
>
> the only package that provides lomount is xen. Which seems odd.

It's part of util-linux-ng, but not build during 'emerge util-linux':

http://git.kernel.org/?p=utils/util-linux-ng/util-linux-ng.git;a=tree;f=mount;hb=HEAD

Building it manually should work fine.

Regards,
Joe User

Old 05-13-2008, 12:06 PM
PaulNM

Alan McKinnon wrote:

Now the problem is, that this is a image of a whole hdd. I only need
one partition out of it.

Then i want to copy the content of this partition to a partition
located of the "real" hdd

A brute force approach, but probably the easiest and fastest:

Assign this image to a VirtualBox vm and start it. Or get a vm to use
it, even if you have tot move it to another machine. Then scp it off
the vm onto the real hardware.

Inelegant, but works :-)

Even better would be losetup from sys-apps/util-linux.

see:

http://www.nabble.com/%22loopback-mount%22-hard-drive-image-created-with-dd--td14945355.html

PaulNM

Old 05-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 13 May 2008, PaulNM wrote:

> Even better would be losetup from sys-apps/util-linux.
>
> see:
>
> http://www.nabble.com/%22loopback-mount%22-hard-drive-image-created-w
>ith-dd--td14945355.html

He doesn't want to mount a dd'ed *filesystem* as a loopback device, he
wants to mount a single filesystem out of several which is inside an
entire diskimage file.

losetup won't work for that

Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
PaulNM

Alan McKinnon wrote:

http://www.nabble.com/%22loopback-mount%22-hard-drive-image-created-w
ith-dd--td14945355.html

He doesn't want to mount a dd'ed *filesystem* as a loopback device, he
wants to mount a single filesystem out of several which is inside an
entire diskimage file.

losetup won't work for that

Read the link again, yes it will. Specifically he needs the offset option.

PaulNM