Old 05-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Daniel Iliev

Default df showing rootfs

On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:35:10 -0400
Willie Wong <wwong@Princeton.EDU> wrote:

> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:44:39PM +0300, Penguin Lover Daniel Iliev
> squawked:
> > Are you, guys, doing some funky remounts like switch_root or
> > pivot_root (perhaps in initrd or initfs)?
> >

> Not that I know of. I am definitely not using initfs or initrd. Don't
> know about switch_root or pivot_root (where would those come up?)

[START OT]
Think of those as of one-file images of a very basic GNU/Linux system,
which are used when you need to do some things before mounting
the "real" root FS. The kernel extracts those images in the RAM as
root file system executes the commands they contain After this "basic"
system has finished its job you need to switch to the "real" system by
mounting the "real" root and executing the "real" /sbin/init. Then you
use "switch_root" or "pivot_root" to tell the kernel to drop the root fs
from the RAM and start working with the "real" root fs.
[END OT]

> I am curious why it reads "rootfs" and "/dev/root" in the output of df
> instead of "/dev/hda2" as I have it in my /etc/fstab, and why there
> are two entries.

Alright. Perhaps "man libblkid".

Which leads me to one *really wild* guess after which I'm out of
ideas. Try refreshing your block device identification cache by:

rm /etc/blkid.tab* && blkid

P.S.

"On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:44:39PM +0300, Penguin Lover Daniel Iliev
squawked: ..." <-- *ROFL* !

--
Best regards,
Daniel

Old 05-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 12 May 2008 01:05:56 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:

> So, please, check what your /etc/fstab reads about "/" in case you have
> accidentally overwritten it by answering "yes" to etc-update or
> dispatch-conf.

That's not it. I also get the two odd entries for / with no change to
fstab. /dev/root is a symlink to the actual block device, with no obvious
culprit in the udev rules.

--
Neil Bothwick

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 AM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Am Montag, 12. Mai 2008 schrieb Daniel Iliev:

> Try refreshing your block device identification cache by:
>
> rm /etc/blkid.tab*

I don't have those files, although I see the rootfs line in df output. But
again: Why would I care? What's the problem?

Bye...

Dirk

Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Monday 12 May 2008, 00:41, Daniel Iliev wrote:

> > I am curious why it reads "rootfs" and "/dev/root" in the output of
> > df instead of "/dev/hda2" as I have it in my /etc/fstab, and why
> > there are two entries.

> Alright. Perhaps "man libblkid".
>
> Which leads me to one *really wild* guess after which I'm out of
> ideas. Try refreshing your block device identification cache by:
>
> rm /etc/blkid.tab* && blkid

FWIW, I've always seen those entries (or something quite similar)
in /proc/mounts (for a long time), but never in the output of df.

$ cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec 0 0
/dev/sda7 /home ext3 rw,noatime,data=ordered 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0

$ df
/dev/sda8 18899832 6396036 12503796 34% /
udev 10240 100 10140 1% /dev
/dev/sda7 96124904 74332380 16909572 82% /home
none 1037040 0 1037040 0% /dev/shm

(I haven't switched to baselayout-2 yet). That said, I have no idea why
the output of df under baselayout-2 differs (although I assume that the
rc-svcdir thing is somehow related to baselayout-2 or openrc).

Old 05-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Miika Linnapuomi

Sun, 11 May 2008 23:53:19 +0100
Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 May 2008 01:05:56 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
>
> > So, please, check what your /etc/fstab reads about "/" in case you
> > have accidentally overwritten it by answering "yes" to etc-update or
> > dispatch-conf.
>
> That's not it. I also get the two odd entries for / with no change to
> fstab. /dev/root is a symlink to the actual block device, with no
> obvious culprit in the udev rules.

Actually its relatively obvious, but its a 'dynamic' rule
in /lib/udev/write_root_link_rule, that
creates /dev/.udev/rules.d/10-root-link.rules

Old 05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Tuesday 13 May 2008, 20:56, Miika Linnapuomi wrote:

> Actually its relatively obvious, but its a 'dynamic' rule
> in /lib/udev/write_root_link_rule, that
> creates /dev/.udev/rules.d/10-root-link.rules

Yes I have that, and I even have the /dev/root device. However, df does
not show rootfs or /dev/root in its output (while on baselayout-2
systems it does).