Old 05-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Grant Edwards

Default 2.6.23-gentoo-r7 causes blinking X display

I recently tried switching from linux-2.6.23-gentoo-r9 to
linux-2.6.24-gentoo-r7. The latter is configured as
indentically as possible to the former, but when I run X under
the 2.6.24 kernel, one of my two displays blinks off every
10-20 seconds (it's off for about 1 second, then comes back
on).

The blinking doesn't happen with the 2.6.23 kernel.

The blinking doesn't happen in console mode.

I'm running nvidia-drivers 169.09-r1 with a NVIDIA GPU Quadro
NVS 290 (G86GL), connected via DVI to dual Samsung 204B
displays running at 1600x1200.

There's nothing in the system or X logs that conicides with the
blinking.

I'm a bit baffled as to how to troubleshoot the problem other
than stick with 2.6.23 and hope that a newer kernel rev fixes
things...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! My mind is a potato
at field ...

Old 05-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Ian Hilt

I'm running nvidia-drivers 169.09-r1 with a NVIDIA GPU Quadro
NVS 290 (G86GL), connected via DVI to dual Samsung 204B
displays running at 1600x1200.

Did you rebuild the nvidia-drivers module?

--
Ian Hilt
ian.hilt (at) gmail.com

Old 05-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-05-09, Ian Hilt <ian.hilt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 May 2008 at 1:34pm -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> I'm running nvidia-drivers 169.09-r1 with a NVIDIA GPU Quadro
>> NVS 290 (G86GL), connected via DVI to dual Samsung 204B
>> displays running at 1600x1200.
>
> Did you rebuild the nvidia-drivers module?

Yes. The exact same version of nvidia-drivers was being used
for both kernels.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. does your DRESSING
at ROOM have enough ASPARAGUS?

Old 05-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Alex Schuster

Grant Edwards writes:

> On 2008-05-09, Ian Hilt <ian.hilt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Did you rebuild the nvidia-drivers module?
>
> Yes. The exact same version of nvidia-drivers was being used
> for both kernels.

Any other changes with things that could possibly influence the building
of the drivers, like X libraries and such?

I'd save the current module (/lib/modues/2.6.23-gentoo-r9/somewehere
there/nvidia.ko, maybe quickpkg will also work), re-build the drivers for
that kernel and check if it still unaffected. If so, you could try the
other kernels between those revisions, or vanilla-sources, and narrow
down the cause.

Good luck, that's a nasty problem you have.

Wonko

Old 05-10-2008, 12:17 AM
Ian Hilt

I'm running nvidia-drivers 169.09-r1 with a NVIDIA GPU Quadro
NVS 290 (G86GL), connected via DVI to dual Samsung 204B
displays running at 1600x1200.

Did you rebuild the nvidia-drivers module?

Yes. The exact same version of nvidia-drivers was being used
for both kernels.

Um ... just to be clear, that means you did something like
"emerge nvidia-drivers" *after* you built the kernel, right?

--
Ian Hilt
ian.hilt (at) gmail.com

Old 05-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-05-10, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> Grant Edwards writes:
>
>> On 2008-05-09, Ian Hilt <ian.hilt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Did you rebuild the nvidia-drivers module?
>>
>> Yes. The exact same version of nvidia-drivers was being used
>> for both kernels.
>
> Any other changes with things that could possibly influence the building
> of the drivers, like X libraries and such?

I don't think so. I rebuilt the nvidia-drivers for both
kernels within minutes of each other without changing anything
else. At least that's what I thought I did. I'll rebuild them
again to make sure.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! ... bleakness...
at desolation... plastic

Old 05-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Grant Edwards

In gmane.linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
> On Fri, 9 May 2008 at 11:33pm -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> Did you rebuild the nvidia-drivers module?
>>
>> Yes. The exact same version of nvidia-drivers was being used
>> for both kernels.
>
> Um ... just to be clear, that means you did something like
> "emerge nvidia-drivers" *after* you built the kernel, right?

Right. And after I changed /usr/src/linux to point to the new
kernel source tree. Otherwise I'd get no X at all because
there's no nvidia kernel module.

I also did another emerge nvidia-drivers again with
/usr/src/linux pointed to the "old" kernel to make sure that
the kernel was the only difference.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Just imagine you're
at entering a state-of-the-art

Old 05-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Grant Edwards

Old 05-10-2008, 01:52 AM
Ian Hilt

I recently tried switching from linux-2.6.23-gentoo-r9 to
linux-2.6.24-gentoo-r7. The latter is configured as
indentically as possible to the former, but when I run X under
the 2.6.24 kernel, one of my two displays blinks off every
10-20 seconds (it's off for about 1 second, then comes back
on).

The blinking doesn't happen with the 2.6.23 kernel.

The blinking doesn't happen in console mode.

I'm running nvidia-drivers 169.09-r1 with a NVIDIA GPU Quadro
NVS 290 (G86GL), connected via DVI to dual Samsung 204B
displays running at 1600x1200.

There's nothing in the system or X logs that conicides with the
blinking.

What's the output of dmesg while this is happening?

--
Ian Hilt
ian.hilt (at) gmail.com

Old 05-10-2008, 03:03 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-05-10, Ian Hilt <ian.hilt@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the output of dmesg while this is happening?

Good question. I looked in /var/log/messages and
/var/log/X<whatever>. I don't think I looked at the output of
dmesg. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm ANN LANDERS!! I
at can SHOPLIFT!!