FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-09-2008, 04:17 AM
"Mark Knecht"
 
Default New install boots but grub just says: grub>

I've done a new install this evening. The install went OK as far as I
could tell. I didn't wipe the disk but I did make new file systems
using mke2fs for both /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda7. I then installed NT in
/dev/hda0 and finally did Gentoo. The grub-0.97-r5 install seemed to
go OK, however when I boot I jsut get some grub messages (Stage 1,
Stage 1.5) and then just

grub >

where the machine sits. Grub auto-completion is working so I type

root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.24-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/hda7

and then

boot

and at this point the machine boots fine. (Well, except for networking
but I'll deal with that later.

I know that grub-0.97-r5 has caused some folks problems over the last
couple of days. The hard drive in this machine was used in a previous
dual boot machine so maybe I'm getting burned by the same 0.97-r5
things?

What would cause grub to sit there and wait for me to type in the
stuff that's in grub.conf anyway?

Thanks,
Mark
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Dirk Heinrichs
 
Default New install boots but grub just says: grub>

Am Freitag, 9. Mai 2008 schrieb ext Mark Knecht:

> I've done a new install this evening. The install went OK as far as I
> could tell. I didn't wipe the disk but I did make new file systems
> using mke2fs for both /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda7. I then installed NT in
> /dev/hda0 and finally did Gentoo. The grub-0.97-r5 install seemed to
> go OK, however when I boot I jsut get some grub messages (Stage 1,
> Stage 1.5) and then just
>
> grub >
>
> where the machine sits. Grub auto-completion is working so I type
>
> What would cause grub to sit there and wait for me to type in the
> stuff that's in grub.conf anyway?

It seems it doesn't find your grub.conf, thus has no menu. Is it on (hd0,4)
(I assume that is where your stageX files are located)? If not, create it.
If no, try renaming it to menu.lst (or create a symlink with that name).

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@capgemini.com
Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net
 
Old 05-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default New install boots but grub just says: grub>

On Thu, 8 May 2008 21:17:47 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> What would cause grub to sit there and wait for me to type in the
> stuff that's in grub.conf anyway?

You probably have an error in grub.conf/menu.lst, or you have both and
GRUB is looking at the one you don't want it to (I think menu.lst takes
priority). GRUB isn't particularly friendly when things go wrong, I've
had it ignore a menu.lst it didn't like.


--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 002: No Error - Yet
 
Old 05-09-2008, 09:47 AM
"Mark Knecht"
 
Default New install boots but grub just says: grub>

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2008 21:17:47 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> What would cause grub to sit there and wait for me to type in the
>> stuff that's in grub.conf anyway?
>
> You probably have an error in grub.conf/menu.lst, or you have both and
> GRUB is looking at the one you don't want it to (I think menu.lst takes
> priority). GRUB isn't particularly friendly when things go wrong, I've
> had it ignore a menu.lst it didn't like.
>
>
> --
> Neil Bothwick

Dirk & Neil,
Thanks. Apparently grub wants menu.lst and the install didn't
create it. Strange. I created the link by hand and then the machine
booted fine.

I appreciate the quick answer.

Cheers,
Mark
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:53 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org