-   -   New install boots but grub just says: grub> (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/84805-new-install-boots-but-grub-just-says-grub.html)

"Mark Knecht" 05-09-2008 04:17 AM

New install boots but grub just says: grub>

I've done a new install this evening. The install went OK as far as I
could tell. I didn't wipe the disk but I did make new file systems
using mke2fs for both /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda7. I then installed NT in
/dev/hda0 and finally did Gentoo. The grub-0.97-r5 install seemed to
go OK, however when I boot I jsut get some grub messages (Stage 1,
Stage 1.5) and then just

grub >

where the machine sits. Grub auto-completion is working so I type

root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.24-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/hda7

and then

boot

and at this point the machine boots fine. (Well, except for networking
but I'll deal with that later.

I know that grub-0.97-r5 has caused some folks problems over the last
couple of days. The hard drive in this machine was used in a previous
dual boot machine so maybe I'm getting burned by the same 0.97-r5
things?

What would cause grub to sit there and wait for me to type in the
stuff that's in grub.conf anyway?

Thanks,
Mark

Dirk Heinrichs 05-09-2008 05:53 AM

Am Freitag, 9. Mai 2008 schrieb ext Mark Knecht:

> I've done a new install this evening. The install went OK as far as I
> could tell. I didn't wipe the disk but I did make new file systems
> using mke2fs for both /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda7. I then installed NT in
> /dev/hda0 and finally did Gentoo. The grub-0.97-r5 install seemed to
> go OK, however when I boot I jsut get some grub messages (Stage 1,
> Stage 1.5) and then just
>
> grub >
>
> where the machine sits. Grub auto-completion is working so I type
>
> What would cause grub to sit there and wait for me to type in the
> stuff that's in grub.conf anyway?

It seems it doesn't find your grub.conf, thus has no menu. Is it on (hd0,4)
(I assume that is where your stageX files are located)? If not, create it.
If no, try renaming it to menu.lst (or create a symlink with that name).

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Neil Bothwick 05-09-2008 09:01 AM

On Thu, 8 May 2008 21:17:47 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> What would cause grub to sit there and wait for me to type in the
> stuff that's in grub.conf anyway?

You probably have an error in grub.conf/menu.lst, or you have both and
GRUB is looking at the one you don't want it to (I think menu.lst takes
priority). GRUB isn't particularly friendly when things go wrong, I've
had it ignore a menu.lst it didn't like.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 002: No Error - Yet

"Mark Knecht" 05-09-2008 09:47 AM

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2008 21:17:47 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> What would cause grub to sit there and wait for me to type in the
>> stuff that's in grub.conf anyway?
>
> You probably have an error in grub.conf/menu.lst, or you have both and
> GRUB is looking at the one you don't want it to (I think menu.lst takes
> priority). GRUB isn't particularly friendly when things go wrong, I've
> had it ignore a menu.lst it didn't like.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

Dirk & Neil,
Thanks. Apparently grub wants menu.lst and the install didn't
create it. Strange. I created the link by hand and then the machine
booted fine.

I appreciate the quick answer.

Cheers,
Mark