Old 05-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Florian Philipp

Default installation cd for P1 & P2

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 17:03 +0000, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an assortment of p1, p2 and old amd K6 (586) class machines.
>
> Do the 2008.0 iso beta 2 cover this arch?
>
> If not, what is the recommend minimal cd to use to install these
> machines?
>

> James

The P2 should be able to handle every live-CD or stage3 for x86 or i686.
P1 and K6 need i586. I'm not entirely sure but I suppose x86 means
"anything from i486 upwards" (Gentoo doesn't support i386 anymore). If
you can't find a Gentoo live-CD for i586, you could try Damn Small Linux
(DSL).

Old 05-08-2008, 05:50 PM
deface

2008 is still in beta, but it should still work. I'd use 2007.0. Also,
i sure hope you have a box setup for distcc. compiling gentoo on these
old/slow procs could take days.

deface

Old 05-09-2008, 01:05 AM
"Benjamen R. Meyer"

I'd recommend 2007 based on the below. I put 2007.0 on my PII 233 last
fall. It does take a while, but it really didn't take that much longer
than my AMD64 build - though, I don't think I put KDE on it, which I did
on the AMD64. YMMV.

FYI - you can always upgrade the 2007 profile to 2008. I just did that
on my AMD64. And its a pretty smooth and slick process - I had always
rebuilt a box to change distros before (usually after a few years of use
and upgrades and not rebuilding just to change the distro either) so it
was a first for me. So don't be afraid to use the 2007.

Ben

Old 05-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Ian Hilt

<http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=2>

--
Ian Hilt
ian.hilt (at) gmail.com

Old 05-09-2008, 03:07 PM
James

Ian Hilt <ian.hilt <at> gmail.com> writes:

> <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=2>

So you are saying (implying) that i586 and k6 machines can use the 2008.0.beta2
minimum CD for installation? What about all of those old drivers that are often
removed from the newer minimal CDs? This can lead to many false starts on the
installation process.

I've usually had to use 2006 CD for such installs:
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20061127-newsletter.xml

As these installs take a while, which I do not mind, but, having to
make 3 or 4 stabs at the installation per machine, is painful. Every time I
install one it takes 3 or 4 attempts to get things right. GNAP would
be ideal, but it's not scheduled for a facelift until the "summer of coding"
work is complete

I'm only using the machines for minimal tasks such as primary/secondary
name service, firewalls and small mail servers....

James

Old 05-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 9 May 2008 15:07:38 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> So you are saying (implying) that i586 and k6 machines can use the
> 2008.0.beta2 minimum CD for installation? What about all of those old
> drivers that are often removed from the newer minimal CDs? This can
> lead to many false starts on the installation process.

It's called a beta for a reason, you may need to check these things for
yourself. It shouldn't require many false starts though, just boot the CD
and check that everything works. If it doesn't, file a bug report.

--
Neil Bothwick

The truth shall make you free, but first it shall piss you off.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Ian Hilt

Ian Hilt <ian.hilt <at> gmail.com> writes:

<http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=2>

So you are saying (implying) that i586 and k6 machines can use the 2008.0.beta2
minimum CD for installation? What about all of those old drivers that are often

I was merely providing an official Gentoo document which provided
information related to your question.

--
Ian Hilt
ian.hilt (at) gmail.com

Old 05-10-2008, 03:38 PM
James

Ian Hilt <ian.hilt <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > So you are saying (implying) that i586 and k6 machines can
use the 2008.0.beta2
> > minimum CD for installation? What about all of those old drivers
that are often

> I was merely providing an official Gentoo document which provided
> information related to your question.

OK got it.

Thanks for all of the input from everyone.

James