Old 05-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Albert Hopkins

Default Reading, editing and then burning a new ISO image using Gentoo

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 09:28 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> This is somewhat off topic. Ignore if it's of no interest.
>
> I've got a DOS program called SpinRite that does low-level testing
> of hard drives. I have the program in two forms:
>
> 1) A bootable CD that just runs the program
> 2) A stand alone DOS executable that can be run from a CD.
>
> Both of the above run fine under FreeDOS. Problem is I don't know
> how to load device drivers for USB unless I can edit a config.sys
> file, create a new ISO and then burn a new CD. So...
>
> 1) Is there a way for me to read the bootable ISO image into a
> directory on my machine
> 2) Edit the files
> 3) Make a new ISO image from the directory (mkisofs?)
>
> This seems 'relatively' straight forward. I haven't built it yet
> but I found isomaster in portage. Is it a good tool? Should I just do
> this from the command line and if so how? How do the Gentoo packagers
> put together the install CD images?

Call me old-fashioned but I don't see anything wrong with just copying
the root of the CD to an empty directory, editing the files and then
using mkisofs to re-create a new ISO.

-a

Old 05-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 09:52 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hey. I like old fashioned.
>
> How does that handle the 'bootable' part of the CD? I presume there is
> the equivalent of an MBR on a CD so the PC can get started. Is that
> visible copying the root of the drive? (I'm at a Windows box as I
> write this. Sorry!)

Well if it's El Torito you just point mkisofs to the boot image. But
since you say it's a DOS CD, who knows.

-a

Old 05-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 12:24 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Albert Hopkins <marduk@letterboxes.org> wrote:
[...]
> > Well if it's El Torito you just point mkisofs to the boot image. But
> > since you say it's a DOS CD, who knows.
> >
> > -a
>
> Can you clarify what you mean by 'point mkisofs to the boot image'? It
> seems that 'man mkisofs' calls up pages about genisoimage.
>
> I've got the CD mounted on my Linux box. ls -al /mnt/cdrom shows only
> SPINRITE.EXE and nothing else. However the CD is bootable and I see
> FreeDOS info when it's booting so maybe all the
> autoexec.bat/config.sys stuff is hidden somewhere. Linux isn't seeing
> it.

It's a boot (floppy image) that's not part of the ISO filesystem per se.
A quick 'Net search shows you might be able to do this following

http://kiss.molteni.net/

I tried that on an Open Solaris ISO and got:

$ isoinfo -d -i os200805.iso
CD-ROM is in ISO 9660 format
System id: Solaris
Volume id: OpenSolaris-2008-05
Volume set id:
Publisher id:
Data preparer id:
Application id: MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER &
CDRECORD CD-R/DVD CREATOR (C) 1993 E.YOUNGDALE (C) 1997
J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING
Copyright File id:
Abstract File id:
Bibliographic File id:
Volume set size is: 1
Volume set sequence number is: 1
Logical block size is: 2048
Volume size is: 351117
El Torito VD version 1 found, boot catalog is in sector 104
NO Joliet present
Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found
Eltorito validation header:
Hid 1
Arch 0 (x86)
ID '
Key 55 AA
Eltorito defaultboot header:
Bootid 88 (bootable)
Boot media 0 (No Emulation Boot)
Load segment 0
Sys type 0
Nsect 4
Bootoff 69 105

$ dd if=os200805.iso of=boot.img bs=2048 count=4 skip=105
4+0 records in
4+0 records out
8192 bytes (8.2 kB) copied, 6.7118e-05 s, 122 MB/s

$ file boot.img
boot.img: isolinux Loader

YMMV.

-a