Old 05-08-2008, 04:28 PM
"Mark Knecht"

Default Reading, editing and then burning a new ISO image using Gentoo

Hi,
This is somewhat off topic. Ignore if it's of no interest.

I've got a DOS program called SpinRite that does low-level testing
of hard drives. I have the program in two forms:

1) A bootable CD that just runs the program
2) A stand alone DOS executable that can be run from a CD.

Both of the above run fine under FreeDOS. Problem is I don't know
how to load device drivers for USB unless I can edit a config.sys
file, create a new ISO and then burn a new CD. So...

1) Is there a way for me to read the bootable ISO image into a
directory on my machine
2) Edit the files
3) Make a new ISO image from the directory (mkisofs?)

This seems 'relatively' straight forward. I haven't built it yet
but I found isomaster in portage. Is it a good tool? Should I just do
this from the command line and if so how? How do the Gentoo packagers
put together the install CD images?

Thanks,
Mark