Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Alan McKinnon

Default 'Insufficient space to store' on a network share

On Thursday 08 May 2008, Vladimir Rusinov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have the file server which exports /usr/portage/ via smbfs. It is
> mounted in following way.
> /dev/xxx to /usr/portage (~512M)
> /dev/yyy to /usr/portage/distfiles (~10G, 7G currently free)
>
> I'm mounting smb://fs/portage/ to /usr/portage (rw) on my clients,
> and when I'm trying to fetch huge package portage tells me
> "Insufficient space to store" (and yes, df -h shows that there are
> about 200 Mb free, but I'm sure that distfiles/ have enough space).
> How can I omit this error and force portage not to check my
> diskspace.

That's a silly idea. The reason portage checks such things is to avoid
running a command that is guaranteed to fail, and you are trying to
bypass that.

What is the package you are trying to fetch, how big is it, how much
disk space do you have free (full df -h please) and what is the full
output to the console?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 8 May 2008 12:28:57 +0400, Vladimir Rusinov wrote:

> I have the file server which exports /usr/portage/ via smbfs. It is
> mounted in following way.
> /dev/xxx to /usr/portage (~512M)
> /dev/yyy to /usr/portage/distfiles (~10G, 7G currently free)
>
> I'm mounting smb://fs/portage/ to /usr/portage (rw) on my clients, and
> when I'm trying to fetch huge package portage tells me "Insufficient
> space to store" (and yes, df -h shows that there are about 200 Mb
> free, but I'm sure that distfiles/ have enough space).
> How can I omit this error and force portage not to check my diskspace.

Either /dev/yyy has less free space than you think or portage is trying
to save to /usr/portage. Instead of trying to kludge
/usr/portage/distfiles to somewhere else, set $DISTDIR in make.conf.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 002: No Error - Yet

Old 05-08-2008, 01:47 PM
"Vladimir Rusinov"

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 08 May 2008, Vladimir Rusinov wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I have the file server which exports /usr/portage/ via smbfs. It is
> > mounted in following way.
> > /dev/xxx to /usr/portage (~512M)
> > /dev/yyy to /usr/portage/distfiles (~10G, 7G currently free)
> >
> > I'm mounting smb://fs/portage/ to /usr/portage (rw) on my clients,
> > and when I'm trying to fetch huge package portage tells me
> > "Insufficient space to store" (and yes, df -h shows that there are
> > about 200 Mb free, but I'm sure that distfiles/ have enough space).
> > How can I omit this error and force portage not to check my
> > diskspace.
>
> That's a silly idea. The reason portage checks such things is to avoid
> running a command that is guaranteed to fail, and you are trying to
> bypass that.
>

> What is the package you are trying to fetch, how big is it, how much
> disk space do you have free (full df -h please) and what is the full
> output to the console?

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) games-fps/americas-army-250 to /
!!! Insufficient space to store armyops250-linux.run in /usr/portage/distfiles
!!! Couldn't download 'armyops250-linux.run'. Aborting.
* Fetch failed for 'games-fps/americas-army-250'

$ eix ^portage$
sys-apps/portage
Installed versions: 2.2_pre5(20:42:44 28.03.2008)(-build doc
-epydoc -linguas_pl -selinux)

Package in about 700 Mb.

On local host:
$ df -h
<snip>
//fs/portage 512M 238M 275M 47% /var/lib/greenmice
<snip>

On fs:
$ df -h
<snip>
/dev/mapper/sys-distfiles
9.9G 2.3G 7.2G 24% /usr/portage/distfiles
/dev/mapper/sys-portage
512M 238M 275M 47% /usr/portage
<snip>

So you see, //fs/portage/ has only ~250 Mb free space, but there are a
lot of space in distfiles (and It is not emergency it distfiles would
be 100% used).
Is there any way to tell the portage "Turn it off, I know what I'm doing"?

Course I can make separate shares for distfiles and portage tree, but
I don't wanna to do it for several reasons.

--
Vladimir Rusinov
Voronezh, Russia

Old 05-08-2008, 01:50 PM
"Vladimir Rusinov"

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Vladimir Rusinov
-//fs/portage 512M 238M 275M 47% /var/lib/greenmice
+//fs/portage 512M 238M 275M 47% /usr/portage

Sorry, this chunk of temporary solution.

--
Vladimir Rusinov
Voronezh, Russia

Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 8 May 2008 17:47:55 +0400, Vladimir Rusinov wrote:

> So you see, //fs/portage/ has only ~250 Mb free space, but there are a
> lot of space in distfiles (and It is not emergency it distfiles would
> be 100% used).
> Is there any way to tell the portage "Turn it off, I know what I'm
> doing"?

Run emerge -fp packagename, download the file(s) manually and put them in
$DISTDIR.

> Course I can make separate shares for distfiles and portage tree, but
> I don't wanna to do it for several reasons.

There are good reasons for separating $PORTDIR and $DISTDIR.

--
Neil Bothwick

Tact is for people who don't understand sarcasm.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Stroller

I have the file server which exports /usr/portage/ via smbfs. It is
mounted in following way.
/dev/xxx to /usr/portage (~512M)
/dev/yyy to /usr/portage/distfiles (~10G, 7G currently free)

You might be better using NFS, instead.

Stroller.