Old 05-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Today's sync breaks stuff

Hi all,

Here follows a quick heads up to save someone's hair (mine's been pulled
out).

If you emerge --sync && emerge world today, make sure you do it the
right way this time:

1. read the elogs
2. revdep-rebuild
3. then and only then, reboot. Better still, exit X and log in again to
make sure it still works then only reboot.

libtool got bumped to 2.2.4, which installs libltdl.so.3 which breaks a
huge list of dependencies - much longer than I've seen in ages. In my
case my dm and wm were broken so when X starts nothing happens and I
lost the keyboard. Couldn't even get to a virtual console so had to do
the usual fight with boot single user mode, remount / rw, start lvm,
manually mount ... you get the idea

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 18:00 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here follows a quick heads up to save someone's hair (mine's been pulled
> out).
>
> If you emerge --sync && emerge world today, make sure you do it the
> right way this time:
>
> 1. read the elogs
> 2. revdep-rebuild
> 3. then and only then, reboot. Better still, exit X and log in again to
> make sure it still works then only reboot.
>
> libtool got bumped to 2.2.4, which installs libltdl.so.3 which breaks a
> huge list of dependencies - much longer than I've seen in ages. In my
> case my dm and wm were broken so when X starts nothing happens and I
> lost the keyboard. Couldn't even get to a virtual console so had to do
> the usual fight with boot single user mode, remount / rw, start lvm,
> manually mount ... you get the idea

Actually the issue with libtool 2.2 has been happening for a while (at
least a couple of months). See bug #212763. What happened is I think
the devs thought they solved all the underlying issues with 2.2 and
unmasked it. But there are still issues. It's easy to fix though.
Just downgrade libtool to 1.x and revdep-rebuild.

But revdep-rebuild should have at least fixed most of the broken deps
and/or failed. At least that's what happened to me. I did an update,
ran revdep-rebuild and when that started failing on packages I knew it
was time to go back to libtool 1.x.

But they've fixed a few issues yesterday and, for example, I'm currently
running 2.2 without any problems.

-a

Old 05-07-2008, 06:31 PM
"b.n."

Alan McKinnon ha scritto:

Hi all,

Here follows a quick heads up to save someone's hair (mine's been pulled
out).

If you emerge --sync && emerge world today, make sure you do it the
right way this time:

1. read the elogs
2. revdep-rebuild
3. then and only then, reboot. Better still, exit X and log in again to
make sure it still works then only reboot.

libtool got bumped to 2.2.4, which installs libltdl.so.3 which breaks a
huge list of dependencies - much longer than I've seen in ages. In my
case my dm and wm were broken so when X starts nothing happens and I
lost the keyboard. Couldn't even get to a virtual console so had to do
the usual fight with boot single user mode, remount / rw, start lvm,
manually mount ... you get the idea

In my system (synced this morning) libtool is still firmly at 1.5.2 -
are you talking about ~x86 systems, isn't it?

m.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 07 May 2008, b.n. wrote:
> > libtool got bumped to 2.2.4, which installs libltdl.so.3 which
> > breaks a huge list of dependencies - much longer than I've seen in
> > ages. In my case my dm and wm were broken so when X starts nothing
> > happens and I lost the keyboard. Couldn't even get to a virtual
> > console so had to do the usual fight with boot single user mode,
> > remount / rw, start lvm, manually mount ... you get the idea
>
> In my system (synced this morning) libtool is still firmly at 1.5.2 -
> are you talking about ~x86 systems, isn't it?

Yes, I should have mentioned that. I'm on ~x86

Turns out I had more problems than just libtool, so I reverted back to
libtool-1* to get a stable system, I'll try upgrading back to v2 in a
few days and see what happens then.