Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Roy Wright

Default OT: Looking for SATA controller recommendation

Howdy,

I'm looking to add three more drives to my system for a software RAID5
media volume. I've used all my motherboard SATA ports so need a SATA
controller. I don't want a hardware RAID controller (been there, burned
when controller died). 4 SATA2 ports is the minimum required. I have
both PCIe and PCI slots available. I do not need high performance as
the RAID will just contain media files for access in my home. I would
prefer a controller supported by normal kernel drivers. My preference
is to keep costs down (3 x 1 TB drives are costly enough .

Any recommendations?

FYI, system is gentoo ~x86, Intel Q9300, Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6.

TIA,
Roy

Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

I'm looking to add three more drives to my system for a software RAID5

media volume. *I've used all my motherboard SATA ports so need a SATA

controller. *I don't want a hardware RAID controller (been there, burned

when controller died). *4 SATA2 ports is the minimum required. *I have

both PCIe and PCI slots available. *I do not need high performance as

the RAID will just contain media files for access in my home. *I would

prefer a controller supported by normal kernel drivers. *My preference

is to keep costs down (3 x 1 TB drives are costly enough .

Any recommendations?

FYI, system is gentoo ~x86, Intel Q9300, Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6.

I just added 2 e-SATA controllers to my systems, 1 Gentoo at home and 1 FC7
at work.* They're* Silicon Image 3124, and work with PCI or PCIX (not PCIe), which
is good because the Gentoo is PCIX, but the FC system is original PCI.

In both cases, normal kernel drivers were fine.* Just make sure your kernel
has
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIIMAGE=m or y

Frankly, I bought on price also, and wanted external drives.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 17:32 -0500, Roy Wright wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm looking to add three more drives to my system for a software RAID5
> media volume. I've used all my motherboard SATA ports so need a SATA
> controller. I don't want a hardware RAID controller (been there, burned
> when controller died). 4 SATA2 ports is the minimum required. I have
> both PCIe and PCI slots available. I do not need high performance as
> the RAID will just contain media files for access in my home. I would
> prefer a controller supported by normal kernel drivers. My preference
> is to keep costs down (3 x 1 TB drives are costly enough .
>
> Any recommendations?

Well since you're not concerned about RAID or performance...

I think as long as you stay away from RAID, in particular "fake" HW
RAID, then it would be difficult to find a SATA controller that wasn't
supported by the kernel.

-a

Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Roy Wright

Albert Hopkins wrote:
> I think as long as you stay away from RAID, in particular "fake" HW
> RAID, then it would be difficult to find a SATA controller that wasn't
> supported by the kernel.

Thank you. The hardware search is being a little more difficult than I
had hoped. I'm finding:

* Internal SATA 1 (PCI)
* Internal SATA 2 (PCI-X)
* eSATA (PCI, PCIe)
* hardware RAID (PCI, PCIe, PCI-X) using proprietary binary drivers

Looks like I need to rethink my storage upgrade.

Thank you,
Roy

Old 05-08-2008, 07:48 PM
kashani

Roy Wright wrote:

Albert Hopkins wrote:

I think as long as you stay away from RAID, in particular "fake" HW
RAID, then it would be difficult to find a SATA controller that wasn't
supported by the kernel.

Thank you. The hardware search is being a little more difficult than I
had hoped. I'm finding:

* Internal SATA 1 (PCI)
* Internal SATA 2 (PCI-X)
* eSATA (PCI, PCIe)
* hardware RAID (PCI, PCIe, PCI-X) using proprietary binary drivers

Looks like I need to rethink my storage upgrade.

Thank you,
Roy

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16816103058

The Adaptec card looks reasonable though one of the comments indicates
that someone had issues doing RAID5 via Linux with it which seems
strange. You can always test and return if it doesn't work out.

kashani

Old 05-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Joshua D Doll

Roy Wright wrote:

Howdy,

I'm looking to add three more drives to my system for a software RAID5
media volume. I've used all my motherboard SATA ports so need a SATA
controller. I don't want a hardware RAID controller (been there, burned
when controller died). 4 SATA2 ports is the minimum required. I have
both PCIe and PCI slots available. I do not need high performance as
the RAID will just contain media files for access in my home. I would
prefer a controller supported by normal kernel drivers. My preference
is to keep costs down (3 x 1 TB drives are costly enough .

Any recommendations?

FYI, system is gentoo ~x86, Intel Q9300, Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6.

TIA,
Roy

Have tried 3ware? I find them to be reasonably priced and they do True
Hardware RAID, and have very good mainline Linux Kernel support.

--Joshua Doll