Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default WTF? VMWare server modules blocks :/

On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Mateusz A. Mierzwiński wrote:
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild ┬*N ┬* ┬*] app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.17-r1 ┬*0 kB
> [blocks B ┬* ┬* ] >=app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.16 (is blocking
> app-emulation/vmware-server-1.0.5.80187)
>
> Total: 1 package (1 new, 1 block), Size of downloads: 0 kB
>
> !!! Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
> installed
> !!! ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬*at the same time on the same system.
>
> For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the
> following section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is
> irrelevant):
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked
>

> What is that block? This should be installed? What is done with
> portage, that blocks exists when I try to install software that is
> part of other package (and higher package depend on it)?

Maybe you don't understand what blockers are and how they work - go read
the referenced page in the Gentoo manual. What is happening is quite
simple:

On a code level, or file-collision level, you cannot have a version of
vmware-modules greater than or equal to 1.0.0.16 on a machine that
already has vmware-server-1.0.5.80187 installed.

But this is precisely what you are trying to do, it's a side effect of
running ~arch in this case. The vmware-server ebuild has this inside:

RDEPEND="
~app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.15
!<app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.15
!>=app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.16
"

For whatever reason (and it will be a good technical one) the only
version of vmware-modules you can use is 1.0.0.15*. So, you need to:

cd /etc/portage
echo ">=app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.16" >> package.use
emerge -avuND world

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-07-2008, 03:24 PM
"Alex Schuster"

Alan McKinnon writes:

For whatever reason (and it will be a good technical one) the only
version of vmware-modules you can use is 1.0.0.15*. So, you need to:

cd /etc/portage
echo ">=app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.16" >> package.use
emerge -avuND world

Um, make this package.mask. Oh, and the -N switch is good style, but not
really necessary, is it?

Wonko

Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 07 May 2008, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Alan McKinnon writes:
> > For whatever reason (and it will be a good technical one) the only
> > version of vmware-modules you can use is 1.0.0.15*. So, you need
> > to:
> >
> > cd /etc/portage
> > echo ">=app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.16" >> package.use
> > emerge -avuND world
>
> Um, make this package.mask.

Oops, my bad. Thanks for picking that up

> Oh, and the -N switch is good style, but
> not really necessary, is it?

Correct again in this specific case as it turns out - no USE flags got
changed. I routinely just use -uND myself as I invariably want emerge
to consider deep USE flag changes. I find that emerge can still do the
extra processing in less time than it takes me to figure out if I
need/want -N or not :-)