FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Robin Atwood
 
Default What version of netscape-flash to use with konqueror?

I have just brought my laptop (x86 arch) up to date and so I have KDE 3.5.9
and netscape-flash-9.0.124.0. Now whenever I go to a web page with embedded
flash I get a segfault. I seem to remember that something got broken wrt
konqueror and my amd64 system is using netscape-flash-9.0.48.0-r1; however,
that version now seems to have been removed. So what version are people
using?

TIA
-Robin
--












--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default What version of netscape-flash to use with konqueror?

On Montag, 5. Mai 2008, Robin Atwood wrote:
> I have just brought my laptop (x86 arch) up to date and so I have KDE 3.5.9
> and netscape-flash-9.0.124.0. Now whenever I go to a web page with embedded
> flash I get a segfault. I seem to remember that something got broken wrt
> konqueror and my amd64 system is using netscape-flash-9.0.48.0-r1; however,
> that version now seems to have been removed. So what version are people
> using?

* net-www/netscape-flash
Latest version available: 9.0.124.0
Latest version installed: 9.0.124.0

* net-www/nspluginwrapper
Latest version available: 0.9.91.5-r1
Latest version installed: 0.9.91.5-r1



--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Robin Atwood
 
Default What version of netscape-flash to use with konqueror?

On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Montag, 5. Mai 2008, Robin Atwood wrote:
> > I have just brought my laptop (x86 arch) up to date and so I have KDE
> > 3.5.9 and netscape-flash-9.0.124.0. Now whenever I go to a web page with
> > embedded flash I get a segfault. I seem to remember that something got
> > broken wrt konqueror and my amd64 system is using
> > netscape-flash-9.0.48.0-r1; however, that version now seems to have been
> > removed. So what version are people using?
>
> * net-www/netscape-flash
> Latest version available: 9.0.124.0
> Latest version installed: 9.0.124.0
>
> * net-www/nspluginwrapper
> Latest version available: 0.9.91.5-r1
> Latest version installed: 0.9.91.5-r1

You are using the nspluginwrapper for x86 arch?

-Robin
--












--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default What version of netscape-flash to use with konqueror?

On Montag, 5. Mai 2008, Robin Atwood wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Montag, 5. Mai 2008, Robin Atwood wrote:
> > > I have just brought my laptop (x86 arch) up to date and so I have KDE
> > > 3.5.9 and netscape-flash-9.0.124.0. Now whenever I go to a web page
> > > with embedded flash I get a segfault. I seem to remember that something
> > > got broken wrt konqueror and my amd64 system is using
> > > netscape-flash-9.0.48.0-r1; however, that version now seems to have
> > > been removed. So what version are people using?
> >
> > * net-www/netscape-flash
> > Latest version available: 9.0.124.0
> > Latest version installed: 9.0.124.0
> >
> > * net-www/nspluginwrapper
> > Latest version available: 0.9.91.5-r1
> > Latest version installed: 0.9.91.5-r1
>
> You are using the nspluginwrapper for x86 arch?
>
> -Robin
> --

no, amd64
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default What version of netscape-flash to use with konqueror?

Robin Atwood writes:

> I have just brought my laptop (x86 arch) up to date and so I have KDE
> 3.5.9 and netscape-flash-9.0.124.0. Now whenever I go to a web page
> with embedded flash I get a segfault. I seem to remember that something
> got broken wrt konqueror and my amd64 system is using
> netscape-flash-9.0.48.0-r1; however, that version now seems to have
> been removed. So what version are people using?

New flash on one machine, where I have the same problems. I disabled flash
in konqueror, so do not get the segfaults all the time, but it sucks to
use firefox for every site with flash I want to use.

So on another machine, I kept the old 9.0.48.0-r1, despite the many
security bugs.

Maybe I will save the old flash stuff in some special directory which I
will tell konqueror to use, so I can upgrade flash and use the new
version, except for konqueror.

Wonko
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Robin Atwood
 
Default What version of netscape-flash to use with konqueror?

On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Robin Atwood writes:
> > I have just brought my laptop (x86 arch) up to date and so I have KDE
> > 3.5.9 and netscape-flash-9.0.124.0. Now whenever I go to a web page
> > with embedded flash I get a segfault. I seem to remember that something
> > got broken wrt konqueror and my amd64 system is using
> > netscape-flash-9.0.48.0-r1; however, that version now seems to have
> > been removed. So what version are people using?
>
> New flash on one machine, where I have the same problems. I disabled flash
> in konqueror, so do not get the segfaults all the time, but it sucks to
> use firefox for every site with flash I want to use.
>
> So on another machine, I kept the old 9.0.48.0-r1, despite the many
> security bugs.
>
> Maybe I will save the old flash stuff in some special directory which I
> will tell konqueror to use, so I can upgrade flash and use the new
> version, except for konqueror.
>
> Wonko

I solved the problem by downloading the old netscape-flash-9.0.48.0-r1.ebuild
from http://sources.gentoo.org/ and placing it in my local overlay. But, as
you say, it sucks...

Cheers
-Robin
--











--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Mike Williams
 
Default What version of netscape-flash to use with konqueror?

On Monday 05 May 2008 18:04:42 Robin Atwood wrote:
> I have just brought my laptop (x86 arch) up to date and so I have KDE 3.5.9
> and netscape-flash-9.0.124.0. Now whenever I go to a web page with embedded
> flash I get a segfault. I seem to remember that something got broken wrt
> konqueror and my amd64 system is using netscape-flash-9.0.48.0-r1; however,
> that version now seems to have been removed. So what version are people
> using?
>
> TIA
> -Robin
> --

Taken, sucessfully, from
http://mikearthur.co.uk/2007/12/konqueror-with-latest-adobe-flash-howto/

====

KMPlayer is my media player of choice as it allows you to trivially switch
between XINE, MPlayer and GStreamer backends and, as of version 0.10.0, has a
nifty backend that allows you to use XEmbed-supporting plugins, including
Adobe’s Flash plugin, which can then be embedded in Konqueror to allow Flash
to work trivially.

HOWTO:

Install KMPlayer. It is included in all the major distributions I’ve ever
used. Ensure it is installed/compiled with the “NPP” backend enabled which
allows the playback of Netscape XEmbed plugins

Run KMPlayer so it creates its config file. Close it. (This step probably
isn’t necessary but it won’t do any harm)

Open “~/.kde/share/config/kmplayerrc” in a text editor of your choice. Add the
following to the end of the file:

[application/x-shockwave-flash]
player=npp
plugin=/opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Change the “plugin=” line depending on where the Adobe Flash plugin was
installed on your distribution. The above example is where it is installed on
Gentoo. (If people could reply with the location of it on their distribution
that would be great, thanks!).

Open Konqueror and click “Settings > Configure Konqueror…”. In the new window
navigate to “File Associations” in the left-hand panel and
select “application/x-shockwave-flash“. Click the “Embedding” tab and
click “Add..“. Select “Embedded MPlayer for KDE” from the new window. If it
is not there then you may need to restart KDE or run “kbuildsycoca” from a
terminal. Close all the opened windows.

Enjoy a working Flash in Konqueror!

===

As at least one of the commenters from the blog, I didn't habe an
application/x-shockwave-flash association, so had to create it.

--
Mike Williams
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Robin Atwood
 
Default What version of netscape-flash to use with konqueror?

On Wednesday 07 May 2008, Mike Williams wrote:
> On Monday 05 May 2008 18:04:42 Robin Atwood wrote:
> > I have just brought my laptop (x86 arch) up to date and so I have KDE
> > 3.5.9 and netscape-flash-9.0.124.0. Now whenever I go to a web page with
> > embedded flash I get a segfault. I seem to remember that something got
> > broken wrt konqueror and my amd64 system is using
> > netscape-flash-9.0.48.0-r1; however, that version now seems to have been
> > removed. So what version are people using?
>
> Taken, sucessfully, from
> http://mikearthur.co.uk/2007/12/konqueror-with-latest-adobe-flash-howto/

Thanks for the link. I tried it and although the kmplayer plugin now loads, it
makes a hash of playing the flash content; I get a bit of sound but no
video. ;(

Nice thought though.
-Robin
--











--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-07-2008, 10:02 AM
"Liviu Andronic"
 
Default What version of netscape-flash to use with konqueror?

On 5/5/08, Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@attglobal.net> wrote:
> I have just brought my laptop (x86 arch) up to date and so I have KDE 3.5.9
> and netscape-flash-9.0.124.0. Now whenever I go to a web page with embedded
> flash I get a segfault. I seem to remember that something got broken wrt
> konqueror and my amd64 system is using netscape-flash-9.0.48.0-r1; however,
> that version now seems to have been removed. So what version are people
> using?
>
Oh, I think you're in trouble here, and on the verge to switch to
Opera. From one of Opera's developers:

"with 9.2x only Flash version 9.0.48.0 will
work, because in the subsequent releases Flash depended on being in a Gtk
browser on linux/unix (this also broke Flash in Konqueror). This Gtk
environment was created in the pluginwrapper in 9.5, but since 9.2x is
stable this was too big a change for it. This has, however, been in 9.5
snapshots for a while now - please check out the Beta2 and see if that
resolves your issues:

http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/next/"

Regards,
Liviu
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Mike Williams
 
Default What version of netscape-flash to use with konqueror?

On Wednesday 07 May 2008 10:43:30 Robin Atwood wrote:
> > Taken, sucessfully, from
> > http://mikearthur.co.uk/2007/12/konqueror-with-latest-adobe-flash-howto/
>
> Thanks for the link. I tried it and although the kmplayer plugin now loads,
> it makes a hash of playing the flash content; I get a bit of sound but no
> video. *;(
>
> Nice thought though.

Oh, works fine for me
Looks a bit odd with the kmplayer rewind/pause/fastforward button bar
appearing then disappearing.

--
Mike Williams
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:48 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org