Old 05-05-2008, 09:35 AM
econti

Default Which openoffice

Hi all
I'd like to install OO on my Gentoo PC. I ran

emerge -s openoffice
and here is the result

* app-office/openoffice
Latest version available: 2.4.0
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 247,060 kB
Homepage: http://go-oo.org
License: LGPL-2

* app-office/openoffice-bin
Latest version available: 2.4.0
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 1,149,284 kB
Homepage: http://www.openoffice.org/
License: LGPL-2

Questions:
1 - the difference between openoffice and openoffice-bin
2 - how long does it take to compile openoffice-bin on a PC with 2 GB
Ram and a AMD Athlon-64 3200+ Processor?

:-(

Bye

emilio

Old 05-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Justin

econti schrieb:

Hi all
I'd like to install OO on my Gentoo PC. I ran

emerge -s openoffice
and here is the result

* app-office/openoffice
Latest version available: 2.4.0
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 247,060 kB
Homepage: http://go-oo.org
License: LGPL-2

* app-office/openoffice-bin
Latest version available: 2.4.0
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 1,149,284 kB
Homepage: http://www.openoffice.org/
License: LGPL-2

Questions:
1 - the difference between openoffice and openoffice-bin
Openoffice has to be compiled by your self and though it is the the more
gentooious way. For me it rans faster, but takes a long time to compile.

Openoffice-bin, if you don't want or can wait for the compilation.
2 - how long does it take to compile openoffice-bin on a PC with 2 GB
Ram and a AMD Athlon-64 3200+ Processor?

Try emerge -p openoffice|genlop -pq

to query the http://gentoo.linuxhowtos.org/compiletimeestimator/

:-(

Bye

emilio

Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 AM
"Wang, Baojun"

在 2008-05-05一的 11:35 +0200,econti写道:
> Hi all
> I'd like to install OO on my Gentoo PC. I ran
>
> emerge -s openoffice
> and here is the result
>
> * app-office/openoffice
> Latest version available: 2.4.0
> Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> Size of files: 247,060 kB
> Homepage: http://go-oo.org
> License: LGPL-2
>
> * app-office/openoffice-bin
> Latest version available: 2.4.0
> Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> Size of files: 1,149,284 kB
> Homepage: http://www.openoffice.org/
> License: LGPL-2
>

> Questions:
> 1 - the difference between openoffice and openoffice-bin
openoffice-bin is a binary tarball thus we don't have to build from
source. but it dosn't have so many USE flag as `openoffice` so I think
it's less flexible, most important, it's only for 32bit (on x86), so if
you need an amd64 version of OO, you'd better to build your own.
> 2 - how long does it take to compile openoffice-bin on a PC with 2 GB
> Ram and a AMD Athlon-64 3200+ Processor?
I think should be around 4 hrs, if it's a dual-core processor, that
should be faster.

--
Wang, Baojun Lanzhou University
Distributed & Embedded System Lab http://dslab.lzu.edu.cn

Old 05-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Montag, 5. Mai 2008 schrieb ext econti:

> Questions:
> 1 - the difference between openoffice and openoffice-bin

The latter is pre-compiled, eventually using USE flags that don't match your
settings, so you may not get what you want.

> 2 - how long does it take to compile openoffice-bin on a PC with 2 GB
> Ram and a AMD Athlon-64 3200+ Processor?

Don't know. More important would be to answer: "How much disk space does it
need?" You should have ~6G available in your $PORTAGE_TMPDIR.

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
Wanheimerstrae 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com

Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Philip Webb

080505 econti wrote:
> emerge -s openoffice
> * app-office/openoffice
> Latest version available: 2.4.0
> Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> Size of files: 247,060 kB
> Homepage: http://go-oo.org
> License: LGPL-2
>
> * app-office/openoffice-bin
> Latest version available: 2.4.0
> Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> Size of files: 1,149,284 kB
> Homepage: http://www.openoffice.org/
> License: LGPL-2
>
> 1 - the difference between openoffice and openoffice-bin

Like that between tailor-made & off-the-shelf clothing.

> 2 - how long does it take to compile openoffice-bin
> on a PC with 2 GB Ram and a AMD Athlon-64 3200+ Processor?

On my 2003 machine (AMD 2500+) 5 hours ;
on my 2007 machine (Intel Core-2 Duo 6700) 2 hours .

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Old 05-05-2008, 09:57 AM
"Andrs Csnyi"

2008/5/5 econti <contiemilio@alice.it>:
> Hi all
[snip]
> Questions:
> 1 - the difference between openoffice and openoffice-bin
> 2 - how long does it take to compile openoffice-bin on a PC with 2 GB Ram
> and a AMD Athlon-64 3200+ Processor?

Hi!

On my 2.5 AMD Athlon machine with 1,5 GRAM the compiling is 6-8 hours
long time. I think on yours is 4-5 hours or faster.

Andrs
--
- -
-- Csanyi Andras -- http://sayusi.hu -- Sayusi Ando

Old 05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Philip Webb

080505 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
>> 2 - how long does it take to compile openoffice-bin
>> on a PC with 2 GB Ram and a AMD Athlon-64 3200+ Processor?
> More important would be to answer: "How much disk space does it need?"
> You should have ~6G available in your $PORTAGE_TMPDIR.

Yes : on my 2007 machine the latest 2.4.0 needed 2,7 GB disk space,
but earlier versions on my 2003 machine could take <= 6 GB .

Old 05-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Montag, 5. Mai 2008, econti wrote:
> Hi all
> I'd like to install OO on my Gentoo PC. I ran
>
> emerge -s openoffice
> and here is the result
>
> * app-office/openoffice
> Latest version available: 2.4.0
> Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> Size of files: 247,060 kB
> Homepage: http://go-oo.org
> License: LGPL-2
>
> * app-office/openoffice-bin
> Latest version available: 2.4.0
> Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> Size of files: 1,149,284 kB
> Homepage: http://www.openoffice.org/
> License: LGPL-2
>

> Questions:
> 1 - the difference between openoffice and openoffice-bin

maybe oo has nicer looking fonts. It starts a little bit faster, but after
that no difference in speed.

> 2 - how long does it take to compile openoffice-bin on a PC with 2 GB
> Ram and a AMD Athlon-64 3200+ Processor?

extremly long. So long that you have to start ooo several times a day for a
year so that the saved startup time equalizes the time spent compiling it.

If you are even able to. Openoffice is a bitch to compile. Even the slightest
change might break the compilation. It really, really sucks. IMHO openoffice
is a nice example for everything that is wrong.

Go with openoffice-bin.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 5 May 2008 12:21:12 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> > 2 - how long does it take to compile openoffice-bin on a PC with 2 GB
> > Ram and a AMD Athlon-64 3200+ Processor?
>
> extremly long. So long that you have to start ooo several times a day
> for a year so that the saved startup time equalizes the time spent
> compiling it.

The times aren't comparable. I can sleep while OOo is compiling, it only
files like I have time to sleep when I click on an attachment in an email
and wait for it to load.

> If you are even able to. Openoffice is a bitch to compile. Even the
> slightest change might break the compilation. It really, really sucks.
> IMHO openoffice is a nice example for everything that is wrong.

No argument there

--
Neil Bothwick

Snacktrek, n.:
The peculiar habit, when searching for a snack, of constantly
returning to the refrigerator in hopes that something new will have
materialized.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Wolf Canis

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> extremly long. So long that you have to start ooo several times a day for a
> year so that the saved startup time equalizes the time spent compiling it.

I have to disagree. On my laptop Dell Inspiron 6400, Dual Core Pentium
(T2130) 1.8 GHz,
2 GB RAM, 160 GB HD. The compile time is absolutely OK. Important is
that the feature
"ccache" in make.conf is enabled and MAKEOPTS has a reasonable value, I
have set it
to "-j2". I follow the rule MAKEOPTS=<number CPUS>. But in the case of
openoffice, the
ebuild overwrite this value with "-j1". For the version 2.3.x I had set
the variable
WANT_MP but with version 2.4 it breaks the build. But how you can see
in the following,
that's only a minor problem.

wolf-di6400 0(0) 03:04 PM ~ # qlop -gH openoffice
openoffice: Fri May 2 16:22:23 2008: 1 hour, 20 minutes, 38 seconds
openoffice: Sat May 3 04:06:11 2008: 1 hour, 19 minutes, 12 seconds
openoffice: 2 times

wolf-di6400 0(0) 03:04 PM ~ # emerge -avt openoffice

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] app-office/openoffice-2.4.0 USE="binfilter cups dbus
firefox gnome gstreamer gtk java ldap mono odk opengl pam -debug -eds
-kde -seamonkey -webdav -xulrunner" LINGUAS="-af -ar -as_IN -be_BY -bg
-bn -br -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -dz -el -en -en_GB -en_US -en_ZA -eo -es
-et -fa -fi -fr -ga -gl -gu_IN -he -hi_IN -hr -hu -it -ja -km -ko -ku
-lt -lv -mk -ml_IN -mr_IN -nb -ne -nl -nn -nr -ns -or_IN -pa_IN -pl -pt
-pt_BR -ru -rw -sh -sk -sl -sr -ss -st -sv -sw_TZ -ta_IN -te_IN -tg -th
-ti_ER -tn -tr -ts -uk -ur_IN -ve -vi -xh -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

> If you are even able to. Openoffice is a bitch to compile. Even the slightest
> change might break the compilation. It really, really sucks. IMHO openoffice
> is a nice example for everything that is wrong.

I can't this confirm.
> Go with openoffice-bin.
See above.

W. Canis