Old 05-04-2008, 03:54 PM

Default Using package.use

In man portage I see examples of using package.use

Its listed with address /etc/portage/package.use and shows usage like
this:

some/package:useflag (to add a specific use flag)

I want to subtract a use flag so trying:

(tried with and without quotes just in case the dash (-) was not
acceptable unquoted:

net-analyzer/tcpdump:"-samba"
net-analyzer/tcpdump:-samba

Neither way appears to have an effect on
emerge -vuDNp tcpdump

It still comes up with positive samba use flag. And then when actual
emerging is done, dire warnings are given about using `samba' use
flag.

I'd hoped to use package.use so as not to have to mess with tcpcump
individualy.

Is my syntax wrong or some other problem?

Old 05-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Kenneth Prugh

On Sun, 04 May 2008 10:54:04 -0500
reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> In man portage I see examples of using package.use
>
> Its listed with address /etc/portage/package.use and shows usage like
> this:
>
> some/package:useflag (to add a specific use flag)
>
> I want to subtract a use flag so trying:
>
> (tried with and without quotes just in case the dash (-) was not
> acceptable unquoted:
>
> net-analyzer/tcpdump:"-samba"
> net-analyzer/tcpdump:-samba
>
> Neither way appears to have an effect on
> emerge -vuDNp tcpdump
>
> It still comes up with positive samba use flag. And then when actual
> emerging is done, dire warnings are given about using `samba' use
> flag.
>
> I'd hoped to use package.use so as not to have to mess with tcpcump
> individualy.
>
> Is my syntax wrong or some other problem?

try:
net-analyzer/tcpdump -samba

--
Ken69267

Old 05-04-2008, 04:06 PM

Kenneth Prugh <ken69267@gmail.com> writes:

>> net-analyzer/tcpdump:"-samba"
>> net-analyzer/tcpdump:-samba
>>
>> Neither way appears to have an effect on
>> emerge -vuDNp tcpdump

[...]

> try:
> net-analyzer/tcpdump -samba

It works ... thanks .. I was confused with this info which is
apparently really about something else

lines 560-592 of 630
[...]
Format:
- comments begin with #
- package:use flag - description

Example:
app-editors/nano:justify - Toggles the justify
option
dev-libs/DirectFB:fusion - Adds Multi Application
support
games-emulation/xmess:net - Adds network support

[...]

To be fair it also shows the syntax you showed in another section.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 04 May 2008, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> In man portage I see examples of using package.use
>
> Its listed with address /etc/portage/package.use and shows usage
> like this:
>
> some/package:useflag (to add a specific use flag)
>
> I want to subtract a use flag so trying:
>
> (tried with and without quotes just in case the dash (-) was not
> acceptable unquoted:
>
> net-analyzer/tcpdump:"-samba"

It's

net-analyser/tcpdump -samba