Old 05-04-2008, 11:49 AM
luis jure

Default pygtk threading disabled at compile time

hello list,

recently i began having problems when trying to run gaupol, a subtitle
editor. it fails thus:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/gaupol", line 18, in <module>
import gaupol.gtk
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gaupol/gtk/__init__.py", line
44, in <module> gobject.threads_init()
RuntimeError: pygtk threading disabled at compile time

yesterday i installed deluge (a bittorrent client) and it crashes with
the same error:

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/deluge/interface.py", line
1041, in start gobject.threads_init()
RuntimeError: pygtk threading disabled at compile time

i searched the web but i couldn't find anything useful. supposedly this
happens when pygtk is compiled without threads support, but the ebuild
doesn't have an USE option for threads, and when it compiles i see the
option --enable-threads flashing by, so i guess pygtk *should* have
threads enabled. any ideas?

best,

lj

Old 05-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Mick

On Sunday 04 May 2008, luis jure wrote:
> hello list,
>
> recently i began having problems when trying to run gaupol, a subtitle
> editor. it fails thus:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/bin/gaupol", line 18, in <module>
> import gaupol.gtk
> File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gaupol/gtk/__init__.py", line
> 44, in <module> gobject.threads_init()
> RuntimeError: pygtk threading disabled at compile time
>

> yesterday i installed deluge (a bittorrent client) and it crashes with
> the same error:
>
> File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/deluge/interface.py", line
> 1041, in start gobject.threads_init()
> RuntimeError: pygtk threading disabled at compile time
>
> i searched the web but i couldn't find anything useful. supposedly this
> happens when pygtk is compiled without threads support, but the ebuild
> doesn't have an USE option for threads, and when it compiles i see the
> option --enable-threads flashing by, so i guess pygtk *should* have
> threads enabled. any ideas?

I assume that you have tried the basics like /usr/sbin/python-updater and
revdep-rebuild -X -v -p ?
Mick

Old 05-04-2008, 08:09 PM
luis jure

El Sun, 4 May 2008 19:30:25 +0100
Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> escribió:

> I assume that you have tried the basics like /usr/sbin/python-updater
> and revdep-rebuild -X -v -p ?

hi, thanks for your answer. yes, i did that, and i did recompile pygtk
several times and a few other packages that i could think could be
related, just in case. in fact i asked the list before doing the last i
could think of, that is emerge -e pygtk (well, the last i can think of
is reinstalling the whole system...)

Old 05-05-2008, 12:32 AM
Daniel Iliev

On Sun, 4 May 2008 08:49:23 -0300
luis jure <ljc@internet.com.uy> wrote:

> ebuild doesn't have an USE option for threads, and when it compiles i
> see the option --enable-threads flashing by, so i guess pygtk
> *should* have threads enabled. any ideas?
>
> best,
>
> lj

Hi,

You might want to try this:

echo "EXTRA_ECONF=--enable-threads" >> /etc/make.conf
emerge -1 dev-python/pygtk

If things are still not OK you could re-emerge all packs which
depend on pygtk. To get a list of those:

equery depends dev-python/pygtk

Then you can remark/delete the EXTRA_ECONF line from make.conf.

HTH

--
Best regards,
Daniel

Old 05-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 5 May 2008 03:32:58 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:

> You might want to try this:
>
> echo "EXTRA_ECONF=--enable-threads" >> /etc/make.conf
> emerge -1 dev-python/pygtk

That would enable it for all ebuilds. To do it foe one package you have
two options.

The temporary approach:
EXTRA_ECONF=--enable-threads emerge -1 dev-python/pygtk

The permanent approach:
mkdir -p /etc/portage/env/dev-python
echo "EXTRA_ECONF=--enable-threads" >>/etc/portage/env/dev-python/pygtk
emerge -1 dev-python/pygtk

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 22: Childproof

Old 05-06-2008, 02:50 AM
luis jure

El Mon, 5 May 2008 09:43:07 +0100
Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> escribió:

> The temporary approach:
> EXTRA_ECONF=--enable-threads emerge -1 dev-python/pygtk

thanks neil and daniel for the tips (always learning something new...).
unfortunately it didn't solve my problem.

so i finally did emerge -e pygtk and that solved it. it seems it was
something related to one of the 173 packages i had to re-emerge...

best,

lj