Old 05-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

Default who does fire HDD led?

Even just after boot (before login) HDD led shows that somebody polls
hdd (or dvd) drive(s) every ~1-2 sec. Who is it? Where/what to config?

Old 05-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag, 3. Mai 2008, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> Even just after boot (before login) HDD led shows that somebody polls
> hdd (or dvd) drive(s) every ~1-2 sec. Who is it? Where/what to config?

hal

Old 05-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Ian Graeme Hilt

On 19:31 Sat 03 May 2008, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> Even just after boot (before login) HDD led shows that somebody polls
> hdd (or dvd) drive(s) every ~1-2 sec. Who is it? Where/what to config?

You may want to check the output of dmesg and whatever log files
you may have in /var/log/. lshal may provide useful output as
well.

--
Ian Graeme Hilt
ian.hilt (at) gmail.com

Old 05-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 03 May 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Samstag, 3. Mai 2008, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> > Even just after boot (before login) HDD led shows that somebody
> > polls hdd (or dvd) drive(s) every ~1-2 sec. Who is it? Where/what
> > to config?
>
> hal

Seems like hal is getting like it's namesake from *that* movie:

Too bloody smart for it's own good

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag, 3. Mai 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Saturday 03 May 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Samstag, 3. Mai 2008, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> > > Even just after boot (before login) HDD led shows that somebody
> > > polls hdd (or dvd) drive(s) every ~1-2 sec. Who is it? Where/what
> > > to config?
> >
> > hal
>
> Seems like hal is getting like it's namesake from *that* movie:
>
> Too bloody smart for it's own good

yeah.

i can't burn dvd/cd anymore thanks to hal. Every couple of seconds
another 'media found' message pops up.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Uwe Thiem

On Saturday 03 May 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Samstag, 3. Mai 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > Seems like hal is getting like it's namesake from *that* movie:
> >
> > Too bloody smart for it's own good
>
> yeah.
>
> i can't burn dvd/cd anymore thanks to hal. Every couple of seconds
> another 'media found' message pops up.

Let's make hal taste 60,000V. That will do. ;-)

Honestly, it doesn't do it here - and I did an update world just a
couple of days ago. What version are you using?

Uwe

--
Ignorance killed the cat, sir, curiosity was framed!

Old 05-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

======= On Saturday 03 May 2008, Andrew Gaydenko wrote: =======
> Even just after boot (before login) HDD led shows that somebody polls
> hdd (or dvd) drive(s) every ~1-2 sec. Who is it? Where/what to
> config?

Sorry, in spite of multiple answers I still don't know how to disable
the polling :-)

Old 05-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Uwe Thiem

On Saturday 03 May 2008, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> ======= On Saturday 03 May 2008, Andrew Gaydenko wrote: =======
>
> > Even just after boot (before login) HDD led shows that somebody
> > polls hdd (or dvd) drive(s) every ~1-2 sec. Who is it? Where/what
> > to config?
>
> Sorry, in spite of multiple answers I still don't know how to
> disable the polling :-)

If Alan and Volker are right, it probably is a bug in hald or its
configuration. I don't see this behaviour - but then, I did my last
update world a couple of days ago.

Uwe

--
Ignorance killed the cat, sir, curiosity was framed!

Old 05-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Ian Graeme Hilt

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 11:05:08PM +0400, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> ======= On Saturday 03 May 2008, Andrew Gaydenko wrote: =======
> > Even just after boot (before login) HDD led shows that somebody polls
> > hdd (or dvd) drive(s) every ~1-2 sec. Who is it? Where/what to
> > config?
>
> Sorry, in spite of multiple answers I still don't know how to disable
> the polling :-)

That's probably because you weren't asking how to disable
polling.

You could try "/etc/init.d/hald stop". This will tell you
whether it's hal that's polling. Also, like I said in my
It may tell you which process is "polling".

Is hdd a hard drive, dvd-rom drive, etc.? If it's a hard drive,
do you have media in the dvd drive when this "polling" occurs?
"lshal -m" while ejecting and inserting media is informative
of hals actions.

--
Ian Graeme Hilt
ian.hilt (at) gmail.com

Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Ian Graeme Hilt

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 03:37:21PM -0400, Ian Graeme Hilt wrote:
> Is hdd a hard drive, dvd-rom drive, etc.? If it's a hard drive,
> do you have media in the dvd drive when this "polling" occurs?
<correction>
Is hdd a hard drive, dvd-rom drive, etc.? If it's a *dvd-rom drive,
do you have media in the dvd drive when this "polling" occurs?
</correction>

--
Ian Graeme Hilt
ian.hilt (at) gmail.com