Old 05-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Force an ebuild in DEPEND to be merged

<alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Reason: I use cvs-e17 and all ebuilds have version -9999 but they
> > change daily. To update e17, one must checkout and rebuild
> > everything as portage has no way of knowing what must be updated.
> > So I have a script with 92 emerge commands in it... This clutters
> > world unnecessarily.
>
> Hm, --oneshot comes to mind... Anything against using that?

Only that I would rather put the dependencies in an ebuild than in a
launch script - purely because it's easier to maintain that way.

Once upon a time I did have such a script, something like this:

BUILD_LIST=eet
BUILD_LIST=${BUILD_LIST} evas
BUILD_LIST=${BUILD_LIST} ecore
... <89 similar statements>
emerge -av1 ${BUILD_LIST}
emerge -av e

The last two emerges are just a kludge to avoid cluttering world and to
avoid --depclean going insane on me.

This is all so much cleaner doing it the way portage was designed to be
used, except when evas-9999 gets a massive update and portage has no
way of knowing it should rebuild evas

> I've never heard of such a thing. I think paludis can automatically
> rebuild live ebuilds daily or once a week. However, not sure if it
> works with -9999 version numbers, or if it needs them as -scm.

I keep threatening to use paludis :-) This warrants some investigation.

Thanks,

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com