Old 05-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Mick

Default Virtualbox-ing existing WinXP

Hi All,

I have a box which has WinXP dual-booting with Gentoo. I would like to be
able to have access to a clone of the existing WinXP installation, from
within Gentoo. The original WinXP partition should be left well alone, as it
is business critical. I have read the Virtualbox documentation and some of
its forums, but I still find the whole concept a bit alien, I am not clear on
the exact steps for getting there.

Has any one attempted this in Gentoo? How did you go about it?
Mick

Old 05-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 3 May 2008 12:48:30 +0100, Mick wrote:

> I have a box which has WinXP dual-booting with Gentoo. I would like to
> be able to have access to a clone of the existing WinXP installation,
> from within Gentoo. The original WinXP partition should be left well
> alone, as it is business critical.

If you copy it to a VM, you are running it on different hardware. The MS
profit-protection system will kick in, requiring you to reactivate it for
the VM "hardware".

--
Neil Bothwick

Stop metricationists! They are demanding their 454 grammes of flesh,
and if we give them 2.54 centimetres they'll take 1.609 kilometres!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Tim

Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 3 May 2008 12:48:30 +0100, Mick wrote:
>
>> I have a box which has WinXP dual-booting with Gentoo. I would like to
>> be able to have access to a clone of the existing WinXP installation,
>> from within Gentoo. The original WinXP partition should be left well
>> alone, as it is business critical.
>
> If you copy it to a VM, you are running it on different hardware. The MS
> profit-protection system will kick in, requiring you to reactivate it for
> the VM "hardware".

This isn't to say it can't be done. On the contrary: you can clone the
partition and boot it just fine, only you'll have (IIRC) three days to
reactivate it before it goes inactive.

You say you'd like access to a clone from "within Gentoo" - is it
sufficient to be able to mount the existing partition read-only? Do you
really need the clone?

Old 05-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Akselii

On 5/4/08, Tim <root@pneumaticsystem.com> wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Sat, 3 May 2008 12:48:30 +0100, Mick wrote:
> >
> >> I have a box which has WinXP dual-booting with Gentoo. I would like to
> >> be able to have access to a clone of the existing WinXP installation,
> >> from within Gentoo. The original WinXP partition should be left well
> >> alone, as it is business critical.
> >
> > If you copy it to a VM, you are running it on different hardware. The MS
> > profit-protection system will kick in, requiring you to reactivate it for
> > the VM "hardware".
> >

> This isn't to say it can't be done. On the contrary: you can clone the
> partition and boot it just fine, only you'll have (IIRC) three days to
> reactivate it before it goes inactive.
>
> You say you'd like access to a clone from "within Gentoo" - is it
> sufficient to be able to mount the existing partition read-only? Do you
> really need the clone?

If i recall right you could boot windows with different "profiles",
which would be just different hardware configurations, also i dont
think corporate versions of windows says anything about the
activation.

--
Akseli Ollikainen

Old 05-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Mick

On Sunday 04 May 2008, Akselii wrote:
> On 5/4/08, Tim <root@pneumaticsystem.com> wrote:
> > Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > > If you copy it to a VM, you are running it on different hardware. The
> > > MS profit-protection system will kick in, requiring you to reactivate
> > > it for the VM "hardware".
> >
> > This isn't to say it can't be done. On the contrary: you can clone the
> > partition and boot it just fine, only you'll have (IIRC) three days to
> > reactivate it before it goes inactive.
> >
> > You say you'd like access to a clone from "within Gentoo" - is it
> > sufficient to be able to mount the existing partition read-only? Do you
> > really need the clone?
> >
> > --
>
> If i recall right you could boot windows with different "profiles",
> which would be just different hardware configurations, also i dont
> think corporate versions of windows says anything about the
> activation.

Thank you All,

I assumed (wrongly) that since it is the same physical hardware and the same
partition image it will not ask me to re-register it. The thing is that I do
not want to interfere at all with the original installation/partition, and
there are enough warnings on the Virtualbox manual to convince me that I
should not risk it (not with this installation anyway).

When you say it'll take three days for the registration to lock up, does this
mean that it will only kick in if I leave Virtualbox running for three days
continuously, or will it know/remember how long I have been running it since
the very first time I booted it up?
Mick

Old 05-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 4 May 2008 19:47:13 +0100, Mick wrote:

> I assumed (wrongly) that since it is the same physical hardware and the
> same partition image it will not ask me to re-register it.

But it's not the same hardware, you are now running it on the VB virtual
hardware.

--
Neil Bothwick

Smoking Can Damage Your Health....Unless us Non-Smokers do it first!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Mick

On Sunday 04 May 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 4 May 2008 19:47:13 +0100, Mick wrote:
> > I assumed (wrongly) that since it is the same physical hardware and the
> > same partition image it will not ask me to re-register it.
>
> But it's not the same hardware, you are now running it on the VB virtual
> hardware.

Sure, but it's the same physical drive & IDE controller, no?
Mick

Old 05-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Tim

Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 04 May 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 May 2008 19:47:13 +0100, Mick wrote:
>>> I assumed (wrongly) that since it is the same physical hardware and the
>>> same partition image it will not ask me to re-register it.
>> But it's not the same hardware, you are now running it on the VB virtual
>> hardware.
>
> Sure, but it's the same physical drive & IDE controller, no?
Yes, but the way a virtual machine works is that it creates its own set
of "hardware" and emulates that hardware for the OS you're running. The
VM software itself acts as a bridge between calls made to this virtual
"hardware" and the true hardware in your system.

The three days is from the time you first boot the machine in the VM -
it remembers, even if it's shut down.

-Tim

Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 5 May 2008 00:29:32 +0100, Mick wrote:

> > But it's not the same hardware, you are now running it on the VB
> > virtual hardware.
>
> Sure, but it's the same physical drive & IDE controller, no?

No. The gust OS sees only the virtual hardware presented by the VM. The
VM software handles the interface between the virtual hardware and what
is physically present on your machine. Remember that a VM acts as a
sandbox, nothing has direct access to the underlying hardware.

--
Neil Bothwick

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.