Old 05-03-2008, 03:06 AM
John covici

Default Problem running gnome as a normal user

Hi. I can run gnome as root or log into it as root, but if I try as a
normal user I get the following errors:

/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- show-all-if-ambiguout
show-all-if-ambiguout: No such file or directory

Anyone have an idea as to what is happening or even how to
troubleshoot such a thing?

Thanks.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 05-03-2008, 03:12 AM
deface

can you verify the user is in the video group?
grep video /etc/group

deface

Old 05-03-2008, 04:02 AM
John covici

on Friday 05/02/2008 deface(deface@uberpenguin.net) wrote
> can you verify the user is in the video group?
> grep video /etc/group
>
> deface
Yep, the user is in the video group.

> On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 23:06 -0400, John covici wrote:
> > Hi. I can run gnome as root or log into it as root, but if I try as a
> > normal user I get the following errors:
> >
> > /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
> > stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- show-all-if-ambiguout
> > show-all-if-ambiguout: No such file or directory
> >

> > Anyone have an idea as to what is happening or even how to
> > troubleshoot such a thing?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
> > How do
> > you spend it?
> >
> > John Covici
> > covici@ccs.covici.com

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 05-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Shaochun Wang

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:06:00PM -0400, John covici wrote:
> Hi. I can run gnome as root or log into it as root, but if I try as a
> normal user I get the following errors:
>
> /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
> stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- show-all-if-ambiguout
> show-all-if-ambiguout: No such file or directory

I think that the problem must be related to privilege, for example the
right to read appropriate fonts and so on.

Check ~/.xsession-errors file to find more hints!

--
Shaochun Wang <scwang@ios.ac.cn>

Jabber: fungusw@jabber.org