FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 PM
"Mark Knecht"
 
Default march=k8 for AthlonX2?

Sorry about all the noise today. I guess it goes with building a new
architecture for the first time.

I am going to run 32-bit Gentoo on an AMD64 dual processor laptop.
Would I be making a reasonably good setting using this in make.conf?

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=k8 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=k8 -pipe"

I referenced this page to try to decide:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html

My single processor AND64 Gentoo machine uses k8. Not sure if I should
change anything for a dual processor.

If someone is running a machine like that and can provide a complete
make.conf file that would be great.

Thanks,
Mark


laptop1 linux # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 104
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor TK-53
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 1700.000
cache size : 256 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext
fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm
extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch ts fid vid ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps
bogomips : 3418.67
clflush size : 64

processor : 1
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 104
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor TK-53
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 1700.000
cache size : 256 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext
fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm
extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch ts fid vid ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps
bogomips : 3415.56
clflush size : 64

laptop1 linux #
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Neil Walker
 
Default march=k8 for AthlonX2?

Mark Knecht wrote:

Would I be making a reasonably good setting using this in make.conf?

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=k8 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=k8 -pipe"



That's what I would be using on my single, dual and quad cores if I
weren't using "-march=native".



Be lucky,

Neil


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.


--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-03-2008, 12:34 AM
"Mark Knecht"
 
Default march=k8 for AthlonX2?

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Neil Walker <neil@ep.mine.nu> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > Would I be making a reasonably good setting using this in make.conf?
> >
> > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=k8 -pipe"
> > CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=k8 -pipe"
> >
> >
>
> That's what I would be using on my single, dual and quad cores if I weren't
> using "-march=native".
>

That surprises me Neil. It seems more 'automatic' than a nuts & bolt
guy such as you might choose.

Thanks,
Mark
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Neil Walker
 
Default march=k8 for AthlonX2?

Mark Knecht wrote:

That surprises me Neil. It seems more 'automatic' than a nuts & bolt
guy such as you might choose.



Well, it seems to do a pretty good job and, with 14 machines with a mix
of Intel and AMD processors, it makes maintenance a lot more
straightforward. In the past, I spent a lot of time fiddling around
with processor/compiler flags only to find that most have little to no
noticeable effect in the real world.


Be lucky,

Neil


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.


--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-03-2008, 02:58 PM
"Abraham Gyorgy"
 
Default march=k8 for AthlonX2?

Omg, we really can use march=native ?? That would be great if true.
(sorry for my bad english

2008/5/3, Neil Walker <neil@ep.mine.nu>:
Mark Knecht wrote:


Would I be making a reasonably good setting using this in make.conf?



CFLAGS="-O2 -march=k8 -pipe"

CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=k8 -pipe"

*




That's what I would be using on my single, dual and quad cores if I weren't using "-march=native".





Be lucky,



Neil





--

This message has been scanned for viruses and

dangerous content by MailScanner, and is

believed to be clean.





--

gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-03-2008, 03:46 PM
"Mark Knecht"
 
Default march=k8 for AthlonX2?

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 1:50 AM, Neil Walker <neil@ep.mine.nu> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > That surprises me Neil. It seems more 'automatic' than a nuts & bolt
> > guy such as you might choose.
> >
> >
>
> Well, it seems to do a pretty good job and, with 14 machines with a mix of
> Intel and AMD processors, it makes maintenance a lot more straightforward.
> In the past, I spent a lot of time fiddling around with processor/compiler
> flags only to find that most have little to no noticeable effect in the real
> world.

> Be lucky,
>
> Neil

Hey, I ain't pickin' on ya! Makes perfect sense, especially with so
many machines. I was just surprised.

Thanks for the info,
Mark
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Neil Walker
 
Default march=k8 for AthlonX2?

Abraham Gyorgy wrote:

Omg, we really can use march=native ?? That would be great if true.


Yes, as long as you are using a recent version of gcc which has support
for it. I think it came in with gcc 4.2.



(sorry for my bad english


Your English seems fine to me - better than some native English speakers
I know.



Be lucky,

Neil


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.


--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-03-2008, 04:35 PM
David Relson
 
Default march=k8 for AthlonX2?

On Sat, 03 May 2008 17:12:03 +0100
Neil Walker wrote:

> Abraham Gyorgy wrote:
> > Omg, we really can use march=native ?? That would be great if true.
>
> Yes, as long as you are using a recent version of gcc which has
> support for it. I think it came in with gcc 4.2.

4.2 seems right. 4.1.2 is the newest version that is _not_
experimental for x86 and/or amd64. 4.1.2 doesn't support
march=native. So the choice seems to be go experimental or wait :-<
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default march=k8 for AthlonX2?

On Samstag, 3. Mai 2008, David Relson wrote:
> On Sat, 03 May 2008 17:12:03 +0100
>
> Neil Walker wrote:
> > Abraham Gyorgy wrote:
> > > Omg, we really can use march=native ?? That would be great if true.
> >
> > Yes, as long as you are using a recent version of gcc which has
> > support for it. I think it came in with gcc 4.2.
>
> 4.2 seems right. 4.1.2 is the newest version that is _not_
> experimental for x86 and/or amd64. 4.1.2 doesn't support
> march=native. So the choice seems to be go experimental or wait :-<

what is the problem? native or k8, what is the difference? Oh wait, if you
don't use native you have a bit more control.
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default march=k8 for AthlonX2?

On Saturday 03 May 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > 4.2 seems right. *4.1.2 is the newest version that is _not_
> > experimental for x86 and/or amd64. *4.1.2 doesn't support
> > march=native. *So the choice seems to be go experimental or wait
> > :-<
>
> what is the problem? native or k8, what is the difference? Oh wait,
> if you don't use native you have a bit more control.

Makes sense to me. native tells gcc to just figure it out and use what
the majority of users would use anyway. The remaining 2% get to figure
it out themselves :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:56 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org