Old 05-02-2008, 06:42 PM
"Mark Knecht"

Default 2007.0 CD - 2008.0 install

Before I waste a lot of time I just noticed that I'm using a 2007.0
install CD but downloading and setting up a 2008.0 beta2 system. Is
there any problem building the 2008.0 system files using whatever I
get when I chroot into the new installation?

At this moment I'm doing the tar xjf portage-latest step and noticed
the inconsistency. Apparently all the 2007.0 snapshots, etc., are now
gone from the servers.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 05-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 02 May 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Before I waste a lot of time I just noticed that I'm using a 2007.0
> install CD but downloading and setting up a 2008.0 beta2 system. Is
> there any problem building the 2008.0 system files using whatever I
> get when I chroot into the new installation?
>
> At this moment I'm doing the tar xjf portage-latest step and noticed
> the inconsistency. Apparently all the 2007.0 snapshots, etc., are now
> gone from the servers.

There shouldn't be a problem. Aside from the fact that a LiveCD is quite
a complex thing, as far as installation goes it's sole purpose is to
provide an environment where you can unpack a stage3 and chroot into
it.

When you have chrooted, you are essentially in a self-contained
environment and all that is left of the original environment is the
kernel it provides. The build system is provided entirely by the chroot
and nothing in user space can come from or be influenced by what's
outside it (this is the entire point of chroot).

As long as 2008.0 beta2 can work nicely with the kernel on 2007.0
LiveCD, it must work exactly as designed. It's hard to imagine a way
this wouldn't be the case.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Uwe Thiem

On Friday 02 May 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Friday 02 May 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Before I waste a lot of time I just noticed that I'm using a
> > 2007.0 install CD but downloading and setting up a 2008.0 beta2
> > system. Is there any problem building the 2008.0 system files
> > using whatever I get when I chroot into the new installation?
> >
> > At this moment I'm doing the tar xjf portage-latest step and
> > noticed the inconsistency. Apparently all the 2007.0 snapshots,
> > etc., are now gone from the servers.
>
> There shouldn't be a problem. Aside from the fact that a LiveCD is
> quite a complex thing, as far as installation goes it's sole
> purpose is to provide an environment where you can unpack a stage3
> and chroot into it.
>
> When you have chrooted, you are essentially in a self-contained
> environment and all that is left of the original environment is the
> kernel it provides.

Well, plus all running services/daemons unless you take them down
after chrooting and bring them up again within the chroot.

This can be a life saver. I have my portage tree on box A while box B
NFS mounts it. At one stage, NFS versions of A and B got so out of
sync, B couldn't NFS mount /usr/portage any more. A LiveCD with an
NFS version matching (well, at least fitting) the one on box A was my
path to salvation. ;-)

> The build system is provided entirely by the
> chroot and nothing in user space can come from or be influenced by
> what's outside it (this is the entire point of chroot).

This, of course, is absolutely true.

Uwe

--
Ignorance killed the cat, sir, curiosity was framed!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:05 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Uwe Thiem <uwix@iway.na> wrote:
> On Friday 02 May 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Friday 02 May 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > Before I waste a lot of time I just noticed that I'm using a
> > > 2007.0 install CD but downloading and setting up a 2008.0 beta2
> > > system. Is there any problem building the 2008.0 system files
> > > using whatever I get when I chroot into the new installation?
> > >
> > > At this moment I'm doing the tar xjf portage-latest step and
> > > noticed the inconsistency. Apparently all the 2007.0 snapshots,
> > > etc., are now gone from the servers.
> >
> > There shouldn't be a problem. Aside from the fact that a LiveCD is
> > quite a complex thing, as far as installation goes it's sole
> > purpose is to provide an environment where you can unpack a stage3
> > and chroot into it.
> >
> > When you have chrooted, you are essentially in a self-contained
> > environment and all that is left of the original environment is the
> > kernel it provides.
>
> Well, plus all running services/daemons unless you take them down
> after chrooting and bring them up again within the chroot.
>
> This can be a life saver. I have my portage tree on box A while box B
> NFS mounts it. At one stage, NFS versions of A and B got so out of
> sync, B couldn't NFS mount /usr/portage any more. A LiveCD with an
> NFS version matching (well, at least fitting) the one on box A was my
> path to salvation. ;-)
>

> > The build system is provided entirely by the
> > chroot and nothing in user space can come from or be influenced by
> > what's outside it (this is the entire point of chroot).
>
> This, of course, is absolutely true.
>
> Uwe

Thanks guys. I've finished the install and attempted to boot. My first
kernel failed at some point I've not run into before complaining about
IO_APIC vectors. I'm searching around in Google for what might have
caused that and building a new kernel in parallel.

The good sign is the machine is starting to show some life. I need to
put the dual boot stuff in grub.conf and make sure Windows is still
booting, and then get this kernel issue worked out.

Thanks for all your inputs today.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 PM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Am Freitag, 2. Mai 2008 schrieb Mark Knecht:

> Before I waste a lot of time I just noticed that I'm using a 2007.0
> install CD but downloading and setting up a 2008.0 beta2 system. Is
> there any problem building the 2008.0 system files using whatever I
> get when I chroot into the new installation?

No. You can use what ever LiveCD you like to install Gentoo. Last time, I used
GRML.

Bye...

Dirk