Old 05-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Michael Higgins

Default Install Windows XP on Gentoo Laptop

(Saw a similar thread, going the wrong way.)

I have a laptop with a spare partition waiting for WinXP, to install
from Dell OEM disks that came originally.

Is this possible? I understand XP will overwrite the MBR. So, I'd have
to re-install grub & that's it? '-)

Cheers,

--
| /| | | ~ ~
| / | |---| `|` ?
| |ichael | |iggins ^ /
michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org

Old 05-02-2008, 06:03 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Michael Higgins <linux@evolone.org> wrote:
> (Saw a similar thread, going the wrong way.)
>
> I have a laptop with a spare partition waiting for WinXP, to install
> from Dell OEM disks that came originally.
>
> Is this possible? I understand XP will overwrite the MBR. So, I'd have
> to re-install grub & that's it? '-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> | /| | | ~ ~
> | / | |---| `|` ?
> | |ichael | |iggins ^ /
> michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org

I would be very careful about installing from OEM disks. My HP OEM
disks will actually blow ALL the partitions on the drive away,
repartition and reformat the whole drive back to the way it was
shipped from the factory. Better if you can find a regular retail copy
of XP. Note that in the case of this HP Vista license it only works
with the OEM install. The license is no good with a normal copy of
Vista.

The other issue I'm having right now is that XP is installed and the
machine boots just fine but a 2001 XP disk doesn't have drivers to
enable networking support so the machine cannot get to the net for
updates. I think now I'll start on the Gentoo install, get a drive set
up that the XP partition can see (small FAT or NTFS drive) and then
use Gentoo to get the drivers onto the system so that XP can start
working. You might not have that problem with your OEM disk as they
certainly have the right drivers for your hardware.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Old 05-03-2008, 01:27 AM
James

Michael Higgins <linux <at> evolone.org> writes:

> I have a laptop with a spare partition waiting for WinXP, to install
> from Dell OEM disks that came originally.

> Is this possible? I understand XP will overwrite the MBR. So, I'd have
> to re-install grub & that's it? '-)

The easiest thing to do is install XP first. Then use the microsoft utilities
(I forget the name) to shrink down the size of the partition (usually about
50%). Then install Gentoo in the space that XP is not occupying.

James

Old 05-03-2008, 02:09 AM
deface

Some OEM disks give you no alternative but to format all. Such as a
recovery partition. Always XP first.

deface

Old 05-03-2008, 03:34 AM
"Mark Knecht"

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:09 PM, deface <deface@uberpenguin.net> wrote:
> Some OEM disks give you no alternative but to format all. Such as a
> recovery partition. Always XP first.
>
> deface
>

> On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 01:27 +0000, James wrote:
> > Michael Higgins <linux <at> evolone.org> writes:
> >

> > > I have a laptop with a spare partition waiting for WinXP, to install
> > > from Dell OEM disks that came originally.
> >
> > > Is this possible? I understand XP will overwrite the MBR. So, I'd have
> > > to re-install grub & that's it? '-)
> >
> > The easiest thing to do is install XP first. Then use the microsoft utilities
> > (I forget the name) to shrink down the size of the partition (usually about
> > 50%). Then install Gentoo in the space that XP is not occupying.
> >

> > James

Just a small heads-up about my installation of WinXP today on the
laptop that went down last night. No problems installing Gentoo. It's
up and running. Double built emerge -e world. However on the Windows
side my OEM had installed Vista which I didn't like so I installed XP
today. No problems installing XP (as per a previous thread) however I
have no sound, video, audio or networking drivers for XP. I think I
found some at the nVidia site but HP/Compaq don't want to support XP
so they don't have them. The nVidia instructions say I have to install
Service Pack 1a first and without networking I had to scrounge around
for those, burn them to a CD, and hopefully get them installed
tomorrow.

The basic lesson is that M$ pushes the OEMs to abandon XP and its
getting harder and harder to install XP all the time.

Just a small heads-up. Not an issue if you like the version of Windows
your system came with.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 05-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Stroller

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Michael Higgins
(Saw a similar thread, going the wrong way.)

I have a laptop with a spare partition waiting for WinXP, to install
from Dell OEM disks that came originally.

I would be very careful about installing from OEM disks. My HP OEM
disks will actually blow ALL the partitions on the drive away,
repartition and reformat the whole drive back to the way it was
shipped from the factory.

What he said.

Better if you can find a regular retail copy
of XP.

Better if he can find a regular _OEM_ copy of XP.

Note that in the case of this HP Vista license it only works
with the OEM install. The license is no good with a normal copy of
Vista.

Right. Same with XP.

Basically Microsoft sell XP in a glossy box on the shelves of PC
World, and they also sell it a cardboard sleeve which is licensed for
OEM use only; if you're Bob's Computers you can buy these singly and
it comes with a sticker to stick on the computer's case, just like
the license stickers you see on a brand new Compaq or HP.

Although the likes of Dell, HP & Packard Hell may make their own
reinstall CDs (which we surely can't trust not to mess up the
partitions), this isn't a realistic proposition for Bob's Computers -
but don't worry, Microsoft make an install CD for him and supply it
in the single-pack version of XP OEM.

The OEM license numbers don't work with a retail installation CD &
vice-versa. So what Michael needs is a Microsoft-branded OEM
installation CD. These work with any OEM license number (even if the
sticker says "Dell" or "HP" on it), as long as the Home /
Professional versioning is correct.

I would suggest - as long as you live in Sweden - the famous 9-in-1
OEM CD, from your favourite swashbuckling sea-dog. Arrrrr, me
hearties! This be perfectly legal because the the sticker on the
underside of the the laptop is the license for XP, not the CD itself.

Stroller.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Stroller