Old 05-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Laptop dual-boot rebuild - disk partition questions

On Friday 02 May 2008, Sandro Hannemann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On linux-2.6.25 NTFS write support is finally stable...
>
> CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
> CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y
>
> No need to go FAT anymore...

Not quite.

It's not ntfs-ng, it's the same old ntfs write support that's been there
for ages, and it's *partial* write support. From fs/Kconfig line 836:

config NTFS_RW
bool "NTFS write support"
depends on NTFS_FS
help
This enables the partial, but safe, write support in the NTFS
driver.

The only supported operation is overwriting existing files,
without
changing the file length. No file or directory creation,
deletion or
renaming is possible. Note only non-resident files can be
written to
so you may find that some very small files (<500 bytes or so)
cannot
be written to.

While we cannot guarantee that it will not damage any data, we
have
so far not received a single report where the driver would
have
damaged someones data so we assume it is perfectly safe to
use.

Note: While write support is safe in this version (a rewrite
from
scratch of the NTFS support), it should be noted that the old
NTFS
write support, included in Linux 2.5.10 and before (since
1997),
is not safe.

--
Alan McKinnon