Old 05-02-2008, 02:41 PM
"Daniel da Veiga"

Default Network manager for laptop

I've been struggling with network managing in my laptop for some time
now. There's no decent way to keep it on config files. I connect to a
LOT of completely different wired and wireless networks.

I'm using Gnome, but I have all KDE libraries as dependencies for some
stuff. The machine is an Asus EEE 701 with an Atheros card. I'm using
ndiswrapper trying to avoid patching the madwifi drivers, waiting for
the official commit. My first try was NetworkManager, beautiful tool,
allowed me to manage my wired and open wireless connections fine, but
once I need WPA for wireless at the University, it failed on me. It
seems it can't talk to wpa_supplicant the right way. One possible fix
would be downgrade to version 0.5.4 of wpa_supplicant, but its not in
portage anymore, so I quit.

Next I tried some gtk stuff, scripting stuff, gosh, so many.

End up with WICD, wich for the most part works fine. I didn't have the
time to check why the heck it tries to connect to "None" more often
then it tries with the SSID I"m telling it to (maybe some
configuration file lost in the way), but anyway, change driver from
"ndiswrapper" or "wext" and it eventually works.

What are you guys using? I"m accepting suggestions!

--
Daniel da Veiga

Old 05-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 11:41 -0300, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
> I've been struggling with network managing in my laptop for some time
> now. There's no decent way to keep it on config files. I connect to a
> LOT of completely different wired and wireless networks.
>
> I'm using Gnome, but I have all KDE libraries as dependencies for some
> stuff. The machine is an Asus EEE 701 with an Atheros card. I'm using
> ndiswrapper trying to avoid patching the madwifi drivers, waiting for
> the official commit. My first try was NetworkManager, beautiful tool,
> allowed me to manage my wired and open wireless connections fine, but
> once I need WPA for wireless at the University, it failed on me. It
> seems it can't talk to wpa_supplicant the right way. One possible fix
> would be downgrade to version 0.5.4 of wpa_supplicant, but its not in
> portage anymore, so I quit.

Where does it say that the NetworkManager needs a downgraded version of
wpa_supplicant? The reason that I ask is that I use NetworkManager on
my laptop and it's been great.. except for at work where we use
Enterprise WPA or whatever it's called. I haven't been able to log in,
but a workmate of mine installed a fresh copy of Hardy Heron and it
worked the first time. I haven't really had the time/interest to figure
out why it wasn't working on my Gentoo laptop.

Thanks,
-a

Old 05-02-2008, 03:01 PM

Albert Hopkins <marduk@letterboxes.org> writes:

> Enterprise WPA or whatever it's called. I haven't been able to log in,
> but a workmate of mine installed a fresh copy of Hardy Heron and it
> worked the first time. I haven't really had the time/interest to figure
> out why it wasn't working on my Gentoo laptop.

Is it likely to be a kenel module involved?

Maybe have your pal lsmod and send it to you to compare with your
lsmod.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:43 PM
"Daniel da Veiga"

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Albert Hopkins <marduk@letterboxes.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 11:41 -0300, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
> > I've been struggling with network managing in my laptop for some time
> > now. There's no decent way to keep it on config files. I connect to a
> > LOT of completely different wired and wireless networks.
> >
> > I'm using Gnome, but I have all KDE libraries as dependencies for some
> > stuff. The machine is an Asus EEE 701 with an Atheros card. I'm using
> > ndiswrapper trying to avoid patching the madwifi drivers, waiting for
> > the official commit. My first try was NetworkManager, beautiful tool,
> > allowed me to manage my wired and open wireless connections fine, but
> > once I need WPA for wireless at the University, it failed on me. It
> > seems it can't talk to wpa_supplicant the right way. One possible fix
> > would be downgrade to version 0.5.4 of wpa_supplicant, but its not in
> > portage anymore, so I quit.
>
> Where does it say that the NetworkManager needs a downgraded version of
> wpa_supplicant? The reason that I ask is that I use NetworkManager on
> my laptop and it's been great.. except for at work where we use
> Enterprise WPA or whatever it's called. I haven't been able to log in,
> but a workmate of mine installed a fresh copy of Hardy Heron and it
> worked the first time. I haven't really had the time/interest to figure
> out why it wasn't working on my Gentoo laptop.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/ath0wireless-couldnt-connect-to-the-supplicant.-511815/

But again, its one of the MANY threads, posts and questions about
NetworkManager and WPA around the web. The fact is, I found many
people with this problem, tried all their "solutions" but still no
game. I get the infamous "couldn't connect to the supplicant" syslog
error. Believe me, I spent a LOT of time trying to figure this out...

WICD had the "None" problem (must have something to do with the
"00:00:00:00:00" failed authentication in wpa_supplicant (wich is
something I must research too), that makes it annoying, but not
impossible to use it.

Any more suggestions?

--
Daniel da Veiga

Old 05-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Albert Hopkins

Well, I tried downgrading to ´╗┐´╗┐version 0.5.4 of wpa_supplicant but it
didn't help with the situation. The error logs show a time-out
communicating with the AP.

-a

Old 05-02-2008, 07:22 PM
"b.n."

Daniel da Veiga ha scritto:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/ath0wireless-couldnt-connect-to-the-supplicant.-511815/

But again, its one of the MANY threads, posts and questions about
NetworkManager and WPA around the web. The fact is, I found many
people with this problem, tried all their "solutions" but still no
game. I get the infamous "couldn't connect to the supplicant" syslog
error. Believe me, I spent a LOT of time trying to figure this out...

WICD had the "None" problem (must have something to do with the
"00:00:00:00:00" failed authentication in wpa_supplicant (wich is
something I must research too), that makes it annoying, but not
impossible to use it.

Any more suggestions?

I have a Macbook Pro laptop with Gentoo, with WPA working fine with
NetworkManager (Madwifi drivers).

I now do not have time to check the full configs. However I remember
that mixing wpa_supplicant configuration and NetworkManager was BAD. I
kept a very confused diary of my Macbook Gentoo install, the relevant
part is:

"ok, found problem. using the conf.d/net and wpa_supplicant.conf WITH
NetworkManager is just problems.
so I am trying to use only NetworkManager."

...and it's what I'm currently doing. I guess NetworkManager takes care
of wpa_supplicant.

Then, madwifi drivers for that card are a bit flaky, but that's another
story...

Tell me what info you need, I may try to help you.

m.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:55 PM
"Daniel da Veiga"

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM, b.n. <brullonulla@gmail.com> wrote:
> Daniel da Veiga ha scritto:
> >
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/ath0wireless-couldnt-connect-to-the-supplicant.-511815/
> >
> > But again, its one of the MANY threads, posts and questions about
> > NetworkManager and WPA around the web. The fact is, I found many
> > people with this problem, tried all their "solutions" but still no
> > game. I get the infamous "couldn't connect to the supplicant" syslog
> > error. Believe me, I spent a LOT of time trying to figure this out...
> >
> > WICD had the "None" problem (must have something to do with the
> > "00:00:00:00:00" failed authentication in wpa_supplicant (wich is
> > something I must research too), that makes it annoying, but not
> > impossible to use it.
> >
> > Any more suggestions?
> >

> I have a Macbook Pro laptop with Gentoo, with WPA working fine with
> NetworkManager (Madwifi drivers).
>
> I now do not have time to check the full configs. However I remember that
> mixing wpa_supplicant configuration and NetworkManager was BAD. I kept a
> very confused diary of my Macbook Gentoo install, the relevant part is:
>
> "ok, found problem. using the conf.d/net and wpa_supplicant.conf WITH
> NetworkManager is just problems.
> so I am trying to use only NetworkManager."
>
> ...and it's what I'm currently doing. I guess NetworkManager takes care of
> wpa_supplicant.
>
> Then, madwifi drivers for that card are a bit flaky, but that's another
> story...
>
> Tell me what info you need, I may try to help you.

I'll try removing the config for the whole thing and see how it works,
but NetworkManager has problems launching wpa_supplicant (or
controlling it at least) using DBUS, and that has not been solved yet,
so I won't bet on it. I'm not with my EEE right now, so, as soon as I
get home...

All I need is to know if you can actually use WPA, store the keys,
reboot, and try again, with the same SSID, it fails for me all the
time. (and var log messages says "couldn't connect to the
supplicant").

--
Daniel da Veiga

Old 05-02-2008, 09:48 PM
"b.n."

Daniel da Veiga ha scritto:

I'll try removing the config for the whole thing and see how it works,
but NetworkManager has problems launching wpa_supplicant (or
controlling it at least) using DBUS, and that has not been solved yet,
so I won't bet on it. I'm not with my EEE right now, so, as soon as I
get home...

What happens? what error messages?

All I need is to know if you can actually use WPA, store the keys,
reboot, and try again, with the same SSID, it fails for me all the
time. (and var log messages says "couldn't connect to the
supplicant").

I think yes, since I use it everyday with my WPA router at home. I must
confess that I didn't experience such difficulties. Hope it's not a new
bug waiting to bite me...

m.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:35 PM
"Daniel da Veiga"

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 6:48 PM, b.n. <brullonulla@gmail.com> wrote:
> Daniel da Veiga ha scritto:
>
> > I'll try removing the config for the whole thing and see how it works,
> > but NetworkManager has problems launching wpa_supplicant (or
> > controlling it at least) using DBUS, and that has not been solved yet,
> > so I won't bet on it. I'm not with my EEE right now, so, as soon as I
> > get home...
> >

> What happens? what error messages?

Nothing happens, when I try connecting, it asks for my key, I submit
it, and then it dies. /var/log/messages says "Couldn't connect to the
supplicant". It appears to be a error regarding wpa_supplicant and
DBUS.

> > All I need is to know if you can actually use WPA, store the keys,
> > reboot, and try again, with the same SSID, it fails for me all the
> > time. (and var log messages says "couldn't connect to the
> > supplicant").
> >

> I think yes, since I use it everyday with my WPA router at home. I must
> confess that I didn't experience such difficulties. Hope it's not a new bug
> waiting to bite me...

Nah, I guess its something related to my card (and driver) and wpa_supplicant.

--
Daniel da Veiga

Old 05-03-2008, 12:49 AM
"b.n."

Daniel da Veiga ha scritto:

Nah, I guess its something related to my card (and driver) and wpa_supplicant.

You told that wicd somehow works better. Seems more related to
NetworkManager, then...

m.