Old 05-02-2008, 03:12 AM
7v5w7go9ub0o

Default Updated ebuild; bypassing manifest check

Following the instructions here, I tried to create an updated ebuild for
mozilla-thunderbird-bin. The newest version is 2.0.0.14; current ebuild
is 2.0.0.12.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_an_Updated_Ebuild

Everything worked fine until I tried to update the hashes in the manifest,

ebuild
/usr/local/portage/mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-bin/mozilla-thunderbird-bin-2.0.0.14.ebuild
digest

and it failed, being unable to download the '.14 file from Gentoo.something.

Well, this is to be expected, as Gentoo.something doesn't have the '.14
file yet; and the ebuild downloads the source code from the author's
site, not from gentoo.something.

So I ended up running the emerge 3 times, manually tweaking the
Manifest's hashes with the newer hashes, 'til everything matched, and
tbird 2.0.0.14 emerged normally.

So the question becomes, is there a way to bypass the manifest check? Or
alternatively, build the manifest with the correct hashes based upon the
source code's author's code.

TIA

Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 02 May 2008, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
> Following the instructions here, I tried to create an updated ebuild
> for mozilla-thunderbird-bin. The newest version is 2.0.0.14; current
> ebuild is 2.0.0.12.
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_an_Updated_Ebuild
>
> Everything worked fine until I tried to update the hashes in the
> manifest,
>
> ebuild
> /usr/local/portage/mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-bin/mozilla-thunde
>rbird-bin-2.0.0.14.ebuild digest
>
> and it failed, being unable to download the '.14 file from
> Gentoo.something.
>
> Well, this is to be expected, as Gentoo.something doesn't have the
> '.14 file yet; and the ebuild downloads the source code from the
> author's site, not from gentoo.something.
>
> So I ended up running the emerge 3 times, manually tweaking the
> Manifest's hashes with the newer hashes, 'til everything matched, and
> tbird 2.0.0.14 emerged normally.
>
> So the question becomes, is there a way to bypass the manifest check?
> Or alternatively, build the manifest with the correct hashes based
> upon the source code's author's code.

I think the assumption is that the dev making the ebuild already has the
downloadable files. You have to have them to see how the build works to
be able to write an ebuild that automates it.

So what I do in these cases is wget all the files manually,
run 'ebuild /path/to/ebuild manifest' and emerge it.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-02-2008, 02:43 PM
7v5w7go9ub0o

Alan McKinnon wrote:

[...]

YES..... makes sense; and now that you mention it, I recall somewhere
seeing someone doing that!

Thanks!!

p.s. apologies to the guy maintaining Mozilla. I sent a couple of
bugzilla notes about TBird being two releases behind; turns out that
there was no release 2.0.0.13 for 'nix - that Portage Tbird ebuild was
in fact quite on top of things..

apologies again.