-   -   New eth.0/openrc setup - I'm confused (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/80274-new-eth-0-openrc-setup-im-confused.html)

05-01-2008 09:47 PM

New eth.0/openrc setup - I'm confused

After updating to 2008 pkgset after merging openrc I lost the
net.eth0 link.. I see other have seen this and even at least 2 bug
reports but the cure is said to be recreating by hand.

I find that not to work... DETAILS:

First, net.lo is itself a symlink to /lib/rc/sh/net.sh, so I'm
creating a symlink to a symlink... ok so far.

once its created (net.eth0 as symlink to net.lo) the usual commands
for stopping or checking status etc don't work.

/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start/stop/status gives me results that appear
not to have anything to do with reality.

# /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
* ERROR: net.eth0 has been stopped by something else

# /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
* WARNING: net.eth0 has already been started

meantime netstat indicates no changes at all.. eth0 is up throughout.

So what is the correct procedure here?

Albert Hopkins 05-01-2008 10:00 PM

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 16:47 -0500, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> After updating to 2008 pkgset after merging openrc I lost the
> net.eth0 link.. I see other have seen this and even at least 2 bug
> reports but the cure is said to be recreating by hand.
>
> I find that not to work... DETAILS:
>
> First, net.lo is itself a symlink to /lib/rc/sh/net.sh, so I'm
> creating a symlink to a symlink... ok so far.
>
> once its created (net.eth0 as symlink to net.lo) the usual commands
> for stopping or checking status etc don't work.
>
> /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start/stop/status gives me results that appear
> not to have anything to do with reality.
>
> # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
> * ERROR: net.eth0 has been stopped by something else
>
> # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
> * WARNING: net.eth0 has already been started
>
> meantime netstat indicates no changes at all.. eth0 is up throughout.
>
> So what is the correct procedure here?

Did you try

# /etc/init.d/net.eth0 zap

?

05-02-2008 01:48 AM

Albert Hopkins <marduk@letterboxes.org> writes:

>> So what is the correct procedure here?
>
> Did you try
>
> # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 zap

It has no effect whatsoever:

root # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 zap
* Manually resetting net.eth0 to stopped state

(In fact it is not stopped I can ping www.gentoo)

root # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
* ERROR: net.eth0 has been started by something else

root # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop
* WARNING: net.eth0 is already stopped

(In fact it is not stopped... ping works)

All the while netstat and ifconfig report eth0 to be up and in fact a
viable connection is in place throughout.

Adam Carter 05-02-2008 04:47 AM

New eth.0/openrc setup - I'm confused

> # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
> * ERROR: net.eth0 has been stopped by something else
>
> # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
> * WARNING: net.eth0 has already been started
>
> meantime netstat indicates no changes at all.. eth0 is up throughout.

Do this;
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop
- verify the interface is down, if its not maybe just 'ifconfig eth0 down' it
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 zap
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start

FWIW, zap forces the status to down even if the service mgmt thingy thinks its up.

05-02-2008 01:18 PM

Adam Carter <Adam.Carter@optus.com.au> writes:

> Do this;
> /etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop
> - verify the interface is down, if its not maybe just 'ifconfig eth0 down' it
> /etc/init.d/net.eth0 zap
> /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start

A reboot cured the problem... It now works like one would expect.